“So so food, dirty and expensive !”
Review of The Mad Greek

The Mad Greek
Ranked #1 of 20 Restaurants in Baker
Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Takeout
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Takeout
Reviewed 26 June 2009

Well I lost a little respect for Guy Fieri...since he recommended this place.
They must have seriously cleaned up the place for his visit.
NOTE...the Mad greek IN Las Vegas was much improved.

OK this location in Baker CA is a Road stop...so you are moving along the highway Hungry, thirsty and in need of a restroom.
My wife ordered the chicken plate $11, I ordered the Lamb Souvlaki $11 and we got a extra order of pita and hummus $8. We also ordered a orange shake $5 and strawberry lemonade $4. So $39 total is expensive for where we were. The chicken was horrible...tasted like fish, had very little seasoning and was not fully cooked. The Souvlaki had 4 tiny pieces of lamb and some rice and salad...damn 4 chicken nugget size pieces of meat for $11. The extra pita order was nice 4 big pitas...but only a small amount of hummus. The shakes were tasty.

BUT...big downer here...the place was full of flies...hard to eat while some 10 flies are trying to land on you and your food. I have been in small dives in south america that had less flies. OHH Thats NOT ALL the bathroom was disgusting...and toilets were out of service...this is a road stop how can you NOT have nice bathrooms. Especially for the large amount of customers they should spend some of the money on improving the bathrooms.

My verdict...stop take a picture in front...buy some shakes...keep on driving for food and restrooms.

Reviewed 15 June 2009

Ate here on the way from Barstow to Las Vegas. Food was expensive, but good. Little on the greasy side. I might give it another try if I happen to ever go this route again.

Reviewed 27 May 2009

Nice place to stop over on a long road trip; open late at night. The décor is really kitschy with a few dozen plastered Greek-like statues surrounding the place facing the street, so that when you are in the restaurant you see a bunch of white statue butts. Pretty good food – I had the gyros plate, which was solid as gyros normally is; the tzadziki sauce was also very nice and had enormous pieces of cucumber in it. My sister had the falafel sandwich, which was very flavorful and had gigantic falafels. They also have malts and shakes; the fresh date shake was tasty with bits of date in it, and they all come with a cute little umbrella.

Reviewed 27 March 2009

Early lunch on 3/5/09. I intially snail mailed a letter to The Mad Greek at the exact address as above & on sales receipt thought maybe had new help or something and though maybe they would compensate!! But letter was return "insufficent Address"??? Had "The Gyro" --lots of romaine and enough rice for 4 people but NO meat. So little meat -- suppose to have Beef & Lamb --- the little there was taste the same.
Terribly overpriced!!

Reviewed 27 January 2009

Used to stop here all the time, but last trip I hit the drive thru, paid 10.60 for a gyro and fries. The gyro was mostly lettuce, very little meat. I thought maybe it was a fluke, but after ready the most recent reviews, I think I'll skip it in the future.

2  Thank travelerz_9