“Needs more loving care”

Four Points by Sheraton Bakersfield
Ranked #18 of 63 Hotels in Bakersfield
Reviewed 10 November 2013

My husband and I stayed here after a grueling slog through Orange and LA Counties on a Friday night and knew that since we would be at a Sharaton property it would be welcoming, easy, comfortable and nice.

When we arrived about 8PM, and pulled into the porte-corchere, we noticed that the hotel looked like an aging disco queen. The front door was solid wood double doors with steps leading up to them, flanked by two seventies-looking ceramic urns. We noticed a pretty but dated looking stained glass window. We dragged our suitcases up, but realized that we should have left them in the car because we needed to drive to the back of another building.

The desk attendant was busy with another guest and did not acknowledge that we were waiting to check in. We did check in soon enough though and were sent to the back of the 400 building on the second floor. After walking up and down the hall with all our stuff, we realized THERE WAS NO ELEVATOR! And we couldn't find the stairs anywhere inside BECAUSE THE ONLY WAY UP WAS TO CARRY OUR STUFF UP THE EXTERIOR CONCRETE STAIRS, STICK THE CARD KEY IN, PROP OPEN THE DOOR, GET THE KEY OUT AGAIN AND GET IN THE ROOM. Keep in mind, we are "Gold" status. Also there was trash on the landing.

Now the room was big, nice and comfy, with a big business desk and comfortable beds and a large plain white bathroom, BUT there was NO luggage stand, NO pen and paper pad, NO robes which Sheratons usually afford, and the plug to the bathtub was broken. I called to complain, and was informed that there were no robes at all. A replacement sink plug was handed to us along with the luggage stand and the pen and paper. The microwave wasn't completely clean and seemed dated. There were no actual drawers for clothes, just pull out containers.

The next day I passed the yawning desk attendant to work out in the fitness center, where the TV faces away from the treadmills, and the water cooler was empty. It smelled rubbery.

On the good side, the bed was very cozy, warm and comfortable and the rolling TV/side table is a perfect invention for a hotel room.

Leaving the next day, we hobbled down the exterior stairs again with our stuff and hit the road.

Bottom line: rooms are OK to nice. Exterior and public areas seem somewhat neglected/dated.

Room Tip: Get a ground floor room facing the pool, they seem to have a better location.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tonobono
Tracy W, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Bakersfield, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2013

Thank you for your recent stay with us and your valuable feedback. We are an older property and proud to be one of the first Four Points. Although we were built without elevators due to being only two floors, we are always happy offer any assistance, or block you in a ground room floor upon request. I hope we will have an opportunity to see you again.

Reviewed 31 October 2013

I'm a loyal platinum member and make it a point to stay at Starwood properties whenever possible. This hotel had a spacious room, great view, was very quiet, and had a wonderfully large pool enabling me to swim laps. Agree with others that it is an old hotel, but it was clean and nicely decorated. Main issue: there were steps leading to the entrance (a pain with heavy roll-on suitcases) and even steps leading to the first floor rooms! I realize it is an older hotel but it shouldn't be that difficult to have ramps at these entrances. We were on a long trip with heavy luggage and it was a major nuisance dealing with these steps.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Thanks for staying with us. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay. We are always happy to have a ground floor room ready for you upon request. We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 28 October 2013

The staff is very friendly and helpful. The 1st room was not clean and had to be given a new room upon arrival around 8 pm. The bed was super comfortable for sleep and the internet was fast. This hotel is in need a remodeling to update. Just have good exceptions and this place will be quite nice.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for staying with us and giving us feedback about your stay. I apologize that your first room was not ready. We will be reviewing our check-in process to ensure that it does not happen again. I'm glad you enjoyed our special Four Comfort bed and our complimentary WiFi. I hope we will have an opportunity to see you again.

Reviewed 28 October 2013

This hotel is terrible. It is outdated, the rooms stink, and I'm surprised that this hotel can even be called a Sheraton anymore. This hotel is old and has not been updated. We just stayed for 2 nights for a reunion that we had at the hotel. Our first room stunk so bad that we had to be switched the next day (there were no other rooms available the first night) and the second room wasn't much better. I was charged $189 per night for the room even though we were there for an event at the hotel and I was told that the group rate of $89 would apply. I was told upon checking out that that rate "was not available" even though I had made the reservation 6 months in advance. I would never stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your stay with us and your candid comments. I apologize that the room was not up to your standards. We are reviewing our processes to ensure that we resolve any issues we have with the room.

Reviewed 23 October 2013

I checked in here for a two night business trip. I'm not a hotel snob, but the experience soured me on this Four Points property.

For the good: every service staff I encountered were warm, friendly, and polite.

Everything else: when I arrived in my room, there was garbage in my trash can. Not a big deal. As night approached, I heard the unmistakable grind of a oil drill grinding away. I was too lazy to unpack and ask to be transferred, so I listened to the radio on my headphone and went to bed. I left my breakfast tag on the door for the next day. The next morning, as my delivery window passed, I called down to concierge, who directed me to the Bistro, the adjacent restaurant. They asked if anyone picked up my tag, and I said they had, then asked if I left the tag out in time for pick up. I had. They blamed the security guard for not delivering my tag. They said they could put in my order. I didn't have time, so I declined, and canceled the pending order. I was annoyed, but things happen. I went to make myself coffee with the in-room coffee maker, but there was no coffee filter.

Without breakfast and coffee and running behind, I went to iron my dress shirt. Alas, no ironing board or iron. Things happen, but mornings can be frantic and it's always the little things.

Would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Stay away from the back building. That's where the oil drills were working, and it's interm...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Tracy W, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Bakersfield, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2013

Thank you for your recent stay with us and sharing your candid feedback. It certainly appears that we failed to meet your expectations, and even our established standards. I sincerely apologize. We will be reviewing all of your items with our staff to ensure we are taking whatever steps necessary to meet our guests expectations. I hope we will have an opportunity to see you again at Four Points.

Reviewed 25 September 2013

I want to give this Sheraton Four Points a great review, but I can only give it good review. The staff at check in and check out and housekeeping and in the attached Bistro restaurant were superb. The physical hotel has seen many days of service without a refresh and it is due for a pant job inside and out, as well as new carpeting and amenities. I also would have liked the check in staff to recognize my SPG Platinum status and provide some sort of upgrade, but there was not status benefit shown, unfortunately. The location in Bakersfield is good, and the folks are as nice and professional as can be, and that is very appreciated.

Room Tip: The attached/nearby Bistro Restaurant is very nice and should be visited.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Tracy W, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Bakersfield, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2013

Thanks for your recent stay with us and your comments. I am glad you were treated well by our staff and enjoyed our restaurant. I am sorry we didn't meet your expectations for recognizing you as a Platinum member. I will definately review that process so that our Elite SPG members are recognized appropriately. You will be happy to hear that we are actually in the planning process now for our remodel. Stay tuned. We hope to see you again in Bakersfield.

Reviewed 10 September 2013

This is a very fine motor inn. I and my husband have spent numerous nights here over the years traveling to Bakersfield and the Central Valley for business. I really look forward to and am happy with my stay. The front desk staff is very helpful and friendly. The rooms are very well appointed and quiet. Wifi is free. The beds extremely comfortable. I always enjoy the pool and hot tub and a little time on the patio before bed. It is quite convenient to the city and to the 5 and 99. The restaurant is excellent for full breakfasts and the service attentive. Never a complaint.

Room Tip: Ask for a garden room with patio on the first floor.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Tracy W, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Bakersfield, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2013

Thanks for staying with us all those times over the years. We are happy that we were able to take care of you and meet all your needs. Be sure to visit the Bistro Restaurant agian on your next trip so you can experience our tasty new menu...I know you will love it! See you next time.