“Everything wrong about this hotel”
Review of Clarion Hotel

Clarion Hotel
Ranked #27 of 63 Hotels in Bakersfield
Washington, DC
“Everything wrong about this hotel”
Reviewed 8 July 2012

It's funny how, the more I need a warm bed and a warm shower, the worse my luck gets on Priceline. I saw Clarion come up on my bid and just got a dread feeling - since when is a Clarion a three star hotel?? - but I figured I didn't have a choice and should give it a chance. And so I did. First, let me share what the front desk guy shared with me: If you book on Priceline, you'll be classified in whatever room type is available....including a smoking room! Thank goodness front desk guy was nice enough to find me a non-smoking room. Oh, Priceline, never again.

Okay, so let me get back to the hotel. Here's why I gave the place one star:

1. I was driving south on the freeway and spotted the hotel. Again, I wasn't too excited about staying at a Clarion, but when I saw the shabby, truck-stop look of the hotel from the interstate, I almost kept on driving.
2. The front desk guy was nice, but a little overwhelmed and, I suppose this was not his fault, but he had to give me (literally) three different sets of keys before I finally got one that worked. So up and down the elevator three times to get into my room.
3. And oh, by the way, only one elevator works and you'll wait about three hours for it. Well, I'm exaggerating, but you'll wait a long time!
4. In my goings up and down, I started to see the people who were staying at this hotel. I decided to block my door that night with chairs. Let's just say, as a young woman, I was starting to feel unsafe.
5. I slipped the key into the door with a dread feeling of what I would find. The room itself looked better than expected - a little more "upgraded." I believe it might actually have been the furniture Marriott was using about 5 or 10 years ago. I definitely recognized the dark green and burgandy. Maybe this stuff gets recycled?
6. I dropped my things and headed to the shower, and that's when I started to notice the shabbiness of the room. At first glance, things looked better than expected, but quickly deteriorated from there. Everything is chipped, dented, dirty. Everywhere I looked, something was worn down or worn out. Just a dirty feeling to the place.
7. The a/c unit worked fine and actually didn't smell bad but it was blasting cold air in the way units do.
8. I got into bed and noticed - here's where it got really good - that there was blood smeared on the lampshade!! Okay, I moved a few more chairs to the door in the hopes that it would at least make a rukus if someone tried to get in.
9. The "message" light on the phone starts to go off. I called and checked for messages. None. A few minutes later, the light came on again. None. This happened about four times before I finally jammed the phone into the nightstand drawer.
10. This is minor, I know, but it's a pet peeve of mine. I like to measure the quality of a hotel by how carefully the small things have been looked after. When I walked into the room, I immediately noticed the blinking, unset alarm clock. Why wouldn't housekeeping just fix this? Again, it really shows the quality of the hotel and the commitment of the hotel staff.

Anyhow, that's my top ten list of why you shouldn't bother with the Clarion.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank biztraveler20
ca643, General Manager at Clarion Hotel, responded to this review, 2 August 2012
Dear Guest,

We hate to hear that you were dissatisfied with your stay. When our customers are not satisfied, we are not satisfied.
Each employee works hard to ensure each guest is comfortable and happy.
I am glad that the employees were quick to resolve any and all issues that may have arose during your stay.
Thank you for bringing your views to us, this gives us the ability to see through your eyes and use those views as tools and building blocks for improved changes.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Roseville, California
Reviewed 1 May 2012

Booked on Priceline, so didn't know the hotel name until booked. Was not real happy when I read the mixed reviews, but it was only suppose to be for 1 night. I am formally in the travel industry for 20+ years, so I am tough on hotels with my reviews. It happened we had a family emergency and had to leave a day earlier. I already had a reservation, so called the hotel to book a room for an extra night. Talked with Michelle, explained the situation and that we didn't want to have to change rooms during the stay, due to our Priceline booking. She was helpful and sympathetic to our problem. The hotel was clean, room was comfortable with flat screen and good beds. Breakfast okay, but not much. What impressed me, was Michelle called in on our day off to make sure we didn't have to change rooms (the hotel clerk told us Michelle had called). I would have liked to have used the pool, but it feels like it sits out in the middle of a parking lot, and the ambience would be watching the drive thru at Carl's Jr. But for a quick stay, it was fine. I would book again, especially for the caring staff.
But to be honest, Bakersfield is not any place I want to visit again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Lynnda F
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the kind words!
We love to hear how we have made an impact on a guest. Its the small things we do each day that we know can go a long way with the guests and their stay.
We currently serve a "Deluxe Continental" Breakfast and have been working on updating our Breakfast and adding more items to the selection.
We hope you will stay with us again while in the Bakersfield area ( even though Bakersfield is not your choice of places to be )

With Hospitality,

Clarion Hotel Staff
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 27 April 2012

What is a Clarion? I still don't know. Its like Comfort Inn, but bigger. Its like like Holiday Inn Express, except its older. Its called a Hotel, but its like a motel. With those questions in my head, it was difficult to sleep on that night. Nevertheless, I recommend this place. Mostly because there was no one at this place, and its was quiet. A 50,000 square feet building all for me. Made myself a quick breakfast, did an express check out and left Bakersfield hoping to not be back here soon.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank paul w
Dear Guest,

We hate to hear that you were dissatisfied with your stay. When our customers are not satisfied, We are not satisfied. Each employee works hard to ensure satisfaction and wants each guest to be happy.
We are an "Older" property with great character with the "Best Team Players"

We appreciate your business and dont want to lose you as a customer.
Give us a call when your in the area, we would love to have a chance at making you a Happy Guest.

Clarion Hotel Staff
Leuven
Reviewed 24 April 2012

On our 3 week trip this was the worst hotel we stayed in, luckily it was only 1 night. The room smells terrible, everything is old. They need to do some renovation. Breakfast was ok.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank FilipLeuven
ca643, General Manager at Clarion Hotel, responded to this review, 25 April 2012
Thank you for sharing your comments. We do understand that we are getting "Older" and could use a Re-fresh: We hope to be able to do that later this year.
We just recently installed the 32" Flat Screens and plan to add other guest amenities such as Guest Laundry and New Breakfast Items and more!
Our Staff are here for you, and they will do their very best to ensure that your stay is a good stay.
We invite you to try us again sometime in the future.

Travellers are raving about these Bakersfield hotels

Phoenix
Reviewed 20 April 2012

I stayed here recently while on business in Bakersfield. The room was excellent: very clean, comfortable bed, big flat screen tv,.. The staff was cordial and I had no issues there. The only ding was the free breakfast (you get what you pay for), I took a look at it and it looked pretty gnarly.

Great place to stay while in Bakersfield, just eat elsewhere.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for taking a few minutes to let us know about your stay!
We do care about what you think and telling us about it gives us the tools to improve.
Our Breakfast is going to be an area of "Change" soon! We plan on bringing in some "healthier" choices along with added items.
We hope you will revisit us and try the Breakfast again.
vancouver island
Reviewed 25 March 2012

We booked this through Priceline, where you don't know the hotel until the end. After reading the reviews we went with some trepidation. However we were very pleasantly surprised at how well the hotel met our needs for a one night stop along the way.
The room was clean, beds very comfortable and with the fan creating "white noise:" traffic noise was not an issue that night.
Because we booked though Priceline we did find we have to follow up with a call to the hotel ensuring the room was non smoking which is a kind of annoying detail not at all related to the stay at the hotel but rather the booking source.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for having taken the time to write your positive feedback on Tripadvisor.
I will share your compliments with the staff so that they will know how their hard work makes Happy Guests!
I know they take great pride in what they do and love to hear the compliments.

We look forward to welcome you back again.

Best Reagards,
Clarion Staff
Mountain View, California
Reviewed 23 March 2012

This hotel is located right off the 99 freeway in north Bakersfield. Lots of parking, easy in and out. Check in was quick and pleasant. Located next to the check in desk was coffee, which was always available. The room was comfortable, with a small fridge, microwave, and coffee maker. We liked that the sink was located outside of the bathroom; more flexibility for its use. While the room was showing some signs of age, it was certainly more than acceptable, clean and maintained. We asked for more towels and housekeeping came with them very quickly. Breakfast was included in the room rate. There were eggs, hash browns, and biscuits and gravy. Cereals, fruit, juices etc. Good enough to start the day.

My only complaint would be with their internet connection. It continually cut me off. You would have to reconnect and wait for the internet to be found. Annoying but not the end of the world.

The hotel itself is located next door to Costco, there's a Carl's Jr. in the parking lot, and also next door is an upscale steak restaurant, the Hungry Hunter. If you have children with you, across Rosedale, is a place called John's Incredible Pizza (the place from the outside looks like a purple hot air balloon). The pizza is pretty decent but the lure here is the games for the kids. It's along the line of a Chuck E. Cheese, but with better pizza.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank alastairdeacon
Thank you for having taken the time to write your feedback on Tripadvisor.
I will share your coments with the staff so that they will know how their hard work makes Happy Guests!

I know they take great pride in what they do and love to hear what the guests have to say.

We look forward to welcome you back again.

Best Regards