“Mostly good”
Review of Padre Hotel

Padre Hotel
Ranked #1 of 63 Hotels in Bakersfield
Reviewed 4 December 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Padre for the Thanksgiving holiday. I have been to the Padre before for drinks, but this was the first time we stayed. Artsy, hip and fun. In Bakersfield! I just love this place! Beautiful restoration with a sense of humor and a nod to Bakersfield culture...the paintings of vintage Bakersfield business signs in the Farmacy cafe, the huge mural of the cowgirl in the lobby, the fantastic vintage looking black and white wallpaper in the hallways includes images of oil wells, farm equipment and animals, guns, etc.The bed, pillows and the linens were very comfortable. We had a nice room with a shower and a view of downtown.
Now the downside: the bathroom was so dimly lit it was hard to see anything in there. Even the light on the makeup mirror was very dim, totally worthless. And there were very loud people up very late, making a LOT of noise and partying on our floor. There are 3 bars in the place, so ask to be situated well away from them. We were, but even so the people staying near us were very loud and obnoxious, kept us awake. Thanksgiving night was much quieter. Lots of homeless/transient people downtown, probably not safe to walk around outside at night. Thanksgiving morning we went downstairs to eat breakfast and found that we could not order anything off the regular menu because they had an all day Thanksgiving brunch, and that was it. We did not want to spend $30 a pop on brunch, also we had plans with family for our Thanksgiving meal later. We walked around downtown looking for something to eat and there was literally *nothing* open, it looked like a ghost town! Granted it was Thanksgiving.
Friday we walked around downtown and found a fantastic music store, a record store and a vintage clothing/consignment shop that was one of the best I have ever been to! There are also some art galleries, but they were closed. The old restored Fox and Nile Theaters are also very close by. The Padre would be the perfect place to stay if you were going to a show at the Fox or Nile.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SLOtownStacy
Jennifer J, Manager at Padre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2013

Hello and thank you for writing a review! We always appreciate hearing from our guests. I'm sorry to hear you were disturbed from the noise. I will be sure to let the security staff know so that we can prevent further incidents like this from happening. I hope your Thanksgiving was wonderful and that you can return to the Padre soon.

Reviewed 26 November 2013

It was a recommended by a coworker and it was the best hotel stay in Bakersfield I have had ever. Professional and helpful staff. The hotel feel is similar to a W Hotel I've stayed in the past. Don't let the downtown location fool you this is worth it. The parking was tricky but I used the valet parking which was a good choice. Ask ahead so you know were to stop for the valet parking. We had a company meeting there as that was the purpose for my stay and we will be booking it again as everyone from the CEO to managers want to make the Padre our new spot for meetings in Bakersfield.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Jennifer J, Manager at Padre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2013

Thank for the review! We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and the conference. We would love to have you and your coworkers back! We have a corporate traveler program that may fit perfectly with the needs of your company. If you are interested in this please contact me at 661-427-4900 for more information. Hope to see you again soon!

Jennifer Johnson
Hotel Manager

Reviewed 14 November 2013

Wanting to avoid the anonymous motels in Bakersfield this is an excellent choice. From the roof terrace bar to the restaurant and bars you can make a stopover in the otherwise deadly dull Bakersfield fun and interesting. Yes it's fairly expensive and you can see why but the valet parking is excellent value. Only downside is I feel breakfast should be included in the price. But there is a cafe so a coffee and a pastry saves you the hassle of looking elsewhere. If you can afford it, stay here.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Jennifer J, Manager at Padre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2013

Thank you for the review! We appreciate your feedback and are so happy to hear you were able to enjoy our Prairie Fire patio on your visit. The Padre has a lot to offer and we are proud that there are no other hotels like us in Bakersfield. We hope you can visit again soon!

Reviewed 31 October 2013

We grew up in the Bakersfield area so go there often to visit family. It has always been a problem finding a nice place to stay that didn't threaten to break the bank but then we found the Padre Hotel. Thank you TripAdvisor. We couldn't have been happier with our stay. We drive a nice car and prefer the safety and security of hotel valet service. Unfortunately, there are always some people who will complain about anything, We found the parking staff just as conscientious and courteous as the rest of the Padre's staff and parking was just $10 a day. On top of that, the rooms are well appointed, the food at both the Brimstone and the main restaurant was exceptional. My wife described the beds as nests because she slept so well. Count on our staying there again

Room Tip: During the week their chepet rooms (40 Winks) are the same price as the next level rooms (Mavericks...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Jennifer J, Manager at Padre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2013

Thank you for the review! We appreciate your kind words and are so happy to hear that you'll be returning tostay with us again. We look forward to your visit!

Reviewed 27 October 2013

Look at our pictures to see just a few top notch details that I really appreciated when staying at this hotel.
Front desk, parking, maids, and elevator men we're all very helpful, and delightful to deal with. It made our stay one of the best stopovers spots to break up the long drive to Napa Valley, and Calistoga. I highly recommend this hotel as a stopover destination.

Room Tip: Stay on the 7th floor
1  Thank diane o

Thank you for the review! We are so happy you visited and enjoyed the remodel. Your photos are wonderful! Hope you can visit us again soon.

Reviewed 24 October 2013

Let me start off by saying I really like this hotel BUT why can’t you park your own car ? We pulled up to the hotel and I was looking for self-parking lot and could not find it. I pulled up to Valet and asked and the first Valet said we don’t have self-parking. Then another valet parker said you can pull around the block and park in the public garage but you must be out by 11am. Then I saw the two valets start to fight because I think he wasn’t supposed to tell me. Then I checked in an inquired about the public parking lot and was told I wouldn’t get towed but I might get a 30 dollar ticket. Well 30 bucks is better than some kid driving my car thru downtown Bakersfield. I will never stay at this hotel again until you folks have self-parking.

2  Thank handsuplastyle
Jennifer J, Manager at Padre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2013

Thank you for the review. Your feedback is appreciated and will be shared with the staff to ensure improvement and the absolute best guest service. Unfortunately, since we are located in central downtown Bakersfield the area is all city parking, but our valet service guarantees a secure spot for your vehicle.

Reviewed 24 October 2013

A very nicely conceived hotel on a reasonable distance from Sequoia National Park. my wife and I stopped there after a visit to the national park and we were pleasantly surprised. We were warmly welcomed and given a nice room on the 5th floor. The room is big and well designed. And immaculately clean. We had a meal at the bar as their fine dining restaurant was closed for the night. The food was nice and service was once again friendly. The following day we had breakfast at their little cafe and it was all once again nicely done. The only downside is that for a hotel this big there is no gym or fitness center. All in all, we would definitely stay there again.

1  Thank The_Vargian

It sounds like you were able to enjoy most of what the Padre has to offer. We do have a fitness center available to our guests on our lower floor. I apologize for that not being mentioned at check-in. We hope you can visit us again and experience the fine dining restaurant and fitness center to make it the perfect visit! Thank you for the review!