“Amazing find in Bakersfield”
Review of Padre Hotel

Padre Hotel
Ranked #1 of 63 Hotels in Bakersfield
Reviewed 5 August 2014

You wouldn't expect to find such a gem in downtown Bakersfield, which is hardly a resort destination. Old hotel but beautifully redone. Very tasteful. I was in the Head Honcho room on the third floor. Maybe a little pricey for Bakersfield but a real value in the rest of the World. Terrific bathroom with Jacuzzi and spacious shower. Staff couldn't have been more helpful, A little noisy on Saturday night, late. Very active bar and nightclub scene...you wouldn't expect to find that in Bakersfield, either. Otherwise, perfect.

Room Tip: Head Honcho room on the third floor (304) was huge. Higher floors probably cant hear the nightclub n...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Jennifer J, Manager at Padre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Hi Executive33, thank you for the review! We hope you can visit us again soon!

Reviewed 4 August 2014

First off….sorry so long. Stayed a week (Monday to Friday) …..and I have a lot to say.
This is an 80+ year old hotel that has all the elements to be great, but simply falls short on too many issues that should be automatics in the hotel industry. The hotel was easy to find, and easy to get to in downtown Bakersfield. The building itself is beautiful. They have done an exceptional job renovating, decorating and updating with the latest technology. And although we did not use the restaurant, or lounge, they were always lively and buzzing with business. Also, the attitude of the staff was amazing; they did try hard to please and were very friendly and helpful.
The Wi-Fi was very good. Connection was strong and no drops. TV reception was very good on the large HD TV with plenty of channels to choose from…including ESPN and Showtime. There is also a decent exercise facility in the basement.
Room comfort – I really struggled with this. I had a standard king bed room that was very small and cramped. The bed to me was not great. It seemed to be a Tempur-Pedic knock-off. When I first laid down for the night it was comfortable, but during the night I was constantly woken due to being uncomfortable (tossing and turning all week), and the sheets are not fitted, they are just flat sheets that are tucked….after tossing and turning during the night I was lying in a tangled mess by morning, every morning. Also, my room only had a bed and a rather un-comfortable desk chair. There was no-where to comfortably sit and watch TV for a while before bed. After a long day at work, returning to this room was no fun.
Coffee service in the room - They have these great little 2 cup coffee makers…..but NO COFFEE (only decaffeinated). Seems they ran out and the coffee was on back-order. You have got to be kidding.
So…after complaining, they offered me vouchers for free coffee room service. This was awesome except……room service is a gamble!! On the first day room service delivered the coffee to my room without a spoon, stir stick or anything to stir with. I actually used a pencil from my briefcase to stir my morning coffee. Shouldn’t a spoon be an automatic? On the second day room service DIDN’T SHOW UP AT All!! I finally called and they said so sorry we will be right up……30 minutes later they showed up, as I was about to walk out the door. On the 3rd day I went through one of the managers, got a comp breakfast with my coffee…but I asked for a 7am service and it showed up at 6:30. Was still asleep so didn’t eat the comp breakfast since it was so early.
Lighting in the bathroom……yes there are 3 switches for the lights, but all you get are dim lights that are nothing more than a glow. This wasn’t that big of a deal to me, but for someone that needs abundant light in the bathroom….you will be in trouble.
Maid service for my room on the 8th floor was hit-or-miss. Some days exceptional, a couple days not so much.
Valet parking – since there is no convenient parking in the area, valet parking was the only option….at $10 per day. Although this worked well at times, their drop off area is very small, and on more than one occasion, I was literally parked in the street when dropping off. And pre-arranging for your car to be ready simply did not work…..your only option for pick-up was to just show up and wait…..or remember to call the front desk at about 15 minutes before…This worked if they remembered to inform valet.
On 2 occasions I had to go back to the front desk from my 8th floor room to have my key re-programmed for entry to my room. The lady at the front desk said I needed to keep it away from cell phones….wait, what?
As I waited one morning for coffee at the Farmacy Café (due to the no-show room service), I saw 2 very busy roaches running up and down the wall until they disappeared into a crack near the baseboard. This was in the restaurant area. I told the clerk, she didn’t seem to be interested. These were the only 2 roaches I saw all week.
There is no pool at this hotel, and no complimentary breakfast or water (or coffee during the crisis). You need water…$3.
If you are looking for a cool, hip hotel with a buzzing lobby, cool décor, a lot of history and a very friendly staff that frequently says “So Sorry, we can comp that for you”, this hotel is for you. Personally, as a frequent business traveler, I put more value on comfort and the simple little automatics.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank Terry C

Hi Terry C, thank you for the feedback and I'm very sorry we fell short in those areas. I have addressed these items with our team for immediate improvement. These issues are not what we consider as the Padre Standard, so I would love to speak with you personally and invite you for another visit. Please give me a call, I look forward to hearing from you. 661-427-4900

- Jennifer Johnson

Reviewed 1 August 2014

My husband and I stayed here overnight on our 10th anniversary. My husband is working in Bakersfield for the summer and doesn't have any vacation time until his project is done, so we had to stick close to home. Anyways, I like the unique touches throughout the hotel. The staff was all really nice, and we received a free room upgrade. There was a bit of a cleanliness problem which was quickly remedied when brought to their attention. I really like the outdoor terrace restaurant, though the two times we have been the volume of the music has been a couple notches too loud for any sort of comfortable conversation. We will probably return though, as I love eating outside on a warm summer night.

Stayed: July 2014

Hi Swb04, thank you for the review and helpful feedback! I would love to have you back to give you the true 5 star experience that the Padre Hotel takes pride in. I would love to speak with you and learn more about the issues you mentioned. I appreciate you taking the time to leave a review and look forward to hearing from you! 661-427-4900

- Jennifer Johnson

Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

Considering this is Bakersfield the hotel is actually quite nice - downtown Bakersfield is not necessarily the most happening place...the rooms are nice and clean - I had a shower with a nice touch - definitely OK - it was my second time here, prices had gone up

Stayed: July 2014

Hello Horstim, thank you for the review! We love being a part of the downtown Bakersfield revitalization and enjoy seeing all of the exciting changes happening in the area. We hope you can visit us again soon!

Reviewed 24 July 2014

Stayed here for my husband's 50th birthday. His mother lives in Bakersfield so we thought it would be nice to go down and see her, plus carry out a few other special plans we made for ourselves that weekend. We made the long drive in his best friend's corvette, more on that later.

The hotel was easy to find. Check in was a breeze. The lobby was nicely decorated & welcoming. While my husband checked in I went to the lobby & ordered a couple of drinks. Was waited on promptly & the drinks were yummy. We took them to our room to get settled in before heading to his mother's house.

The room was nice. A corner room with lots of light. 2 complaints I have: the bed was way to soft and there was no light in the bathroom. Let me assure you there were FOUR light switches in the bathroom, but all were super dim. The brightest light was over the toilet...who wants that at 2am?!? They had a light up make up mirror but ours didn't work. So I sat on the bed to put on my make up....having all those windows helped.

When we first arrived my husband parked the car on the street because we knew we'd be leaving soon. When we returned that evening we decided on valet parking as the safest option. Before handing over the keys my husband asked the young man if he knew how to drive this car...he should have asked if he could park it! Apparently there is a strange thing with the corvette that you have to park it leaving it in reverse. The next morning the car was dead! No one could do anything to help, not even AAA cuz the owner wasn't with us. So we were stuck for about 5 hours as our friend left work, drove home to Hollister to get some special manual key, and drive to Bakersfield. UUUGGGHHH

I will say they manager put us up in a room and we got free room service (YUCK) and a couple drinks from the bar. But a super horrible way to end what was supposed to be a special 50th birthday

Room Tip: corner room has best room and super daytime lighting
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Jennifer J, Manager at Padre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2014

Hello, I'm so sorry to hear your special trip was affected by the dead battery with the Corvette. I am certain that if the valet team had been made aware the vehicle needed to be parked while in reverse, they would have taken special care to do so. I am happy to hear that Michael was able to set you up in a room with room service while you waited. I hope that you have a chance to stay with us again!

Reviewed 21 July 2014

When planning our 3 week road trip we wanted to stop overnight in Bakersfield after going through Sequoia Nat'l Forest. Read the super reviews on Trip Advisor and crossed our fingers that the reality would be as good.

I have to say the hotel staff, the rooms and the almost unbelievably fine dinner at the restaurant exceeded our expectations. We were greeted like family friends and assisted promptly and carefully with our bags and shown to a very nice room. The team has done a great job putting together an eclectic, sleek, contemporary hotel that was very comfortable. The valet team took special care with our car, which has a low front clearance, and positioned it where security could keep an eye on it. The bar was a great place to relax in before dinner.

We have traveled all over the world and all over the USA and this was a top notch experience well up there with the best. We would actually go out of our way to stop here again.

Jim & Janet B.

Room Tip: The corner rooms are larger, with more windows. Ask for a higher floor to get up from the street.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Hi Jim and Janet, thank you so much for the review! I will be sure to share your compliments with the team. They work very hard to ensure every guest is treated like family. We hope you can visit us again soon!

Reviewed 13 July 2014

If you find yourself in Bakersfield, stay at the Padre! The price isn't bad, but the hotel is amazing, and worth the small premium. The rooms are unique and comfortable. The food and bar choices within the hotel are very good. I was pleasantly surprised. The only drawback is you must use valet parking. I'd deduct a half star for this if I could.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Hello CBS_13, thank you for the review! It's great to hear you enjoyed your visit. The Padre offers luxury rooms at a great price, and our team always works to make sure every detail of our guests' stay is perfect. We hope you can visit us again soon!