“Oasis after the desert”

Ranked #28 of 63 Hotels in Bakersfield
Grenoble, France
“Oasis after the desert”
Reviewed 27 July 2013

My fiancé and I spent a night there while traveling to Vegas. We spent several hours on the road from Santa Barbara to Bakersfield with 105 F so as soon as we checked in we jumped in the pool.

The room was quite big, very clean and comfortable. The receptionists were very nice and friendly.
Breakfast was good, we had waffles :)

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Napa, California
Reviewed 14 July 2013

When we checked in Bakersfield was 106 and the room was 110. The AC took 8 hours to cool down the room to a livable temperature. The baby next door cried all night. The room was old, tired and not the cleanest. The cockroach in the bathroom just rounded out the most miserable place we have ever stayed. The staff's response? We'll let the General Manager know that Housekeeping didn't do their job. Breakfast? Are you kidding? If you can't cool your rooms and keep out the cockroaches, how can you serve safe food? Find someplace else to stay, there are lots of other choices.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Jen B

Travellers are raving about these Bakersfield hotels

Roseville, California, United States
Reviewed 1 July 2013

I made a huge mistake in staying here. I booked through Expedia and was trying to choose between Hotel Rosedale and The DoubleTree. I have stayed at the DoubleTree and really should have stayed there again. Both hotels were listed at the same exact price, but The Hotel Rosedale offered free internet and free breakfast. Always a deal hunter I decided to choose The Hotel Rosedale. Driving up, it was obvious the place was run down, but I can deal with run down. The first real sign of trouble was when we tried to get into our room and our keys wouldn't work. The maid let us in without even verifying who we were. So I guess anybody could have gotten in if they had wanted too. But besides that, our keys not working was a recurring problem over the course of the weekend, 4 or 5 times I had to go to the front desk to have them re-keyed or run through again. Once in the room, it smelled like mold and there were flies. The lamp shades were stained and cracked and there were no mattress covers or dust ruffles on the box springs. The walls had spatter type stains all over them. In the toilet and the tub were dirty and the tile in the shower was broken. They put us by the children's play area and also down the hall from a bar called "The Bull Shed". If I had known before hand "The Bull Shed" was located at this hotel I would never have booked the reservation. This bar has a reputation for being very rowdy! It would have been nice if the hotel description had a disclosure about the bar on Expedia. Anyway, like I said the children's play area was right off of our patio. I have no problem with playing children, except at 1 in the morning!!! Personally, when travelling with my kids, I have them settled down and quiet by 830 pm, because other people are travelling and tired. I do not understand people who slam hotel doors and let their kids yell and scream but I have come to just let it slide. However, letting your kid play on the swing set outside other peoples rooms until 1 am while you are at the bar is ridiculous and extremely negligent. I called the front desk about it Friday night, when it first happened, but the response I got was "well, no body else has complained". When it happened again on Saturday night I just let it go. As well as the kids running up and down the hallway, slamming doors and the little girl who kept opening her hotel door and yelling for "Mommy!". As for the free internet and breakfast? The internet is super slow and my two teen daughters, who I was travelling with would not go into breakfast because it was held in the bar and "it' scary in there". Next time I will pay the same amount and stay someplace I have stayed before and can trust. I will tell you this for sure The Hotel Rosedale is not worth the money and you would do well to say far away!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Dana B
Stockton, California
Reviewed 24 June 2013

We all liked the hotel a lot. The rooms are situated around a green lawn with an Olympic size swimming pool. There is also a swing set with a slide next to the pool. There are two floors and rooms that were on the inner side had patios or balconies with two chairs and a table overlooking the pool area. The continental breakfast was awesome and substantial with quite a variety of food sure to please almost any taste in breakfast foods. The money we saved by the four of us eating breakfast there two days practically paid for one of our nights there. The hotel also gave us a discount for a group rate for a wedding. It was fun to have other friends and family there to visit with before and after the wedding. There was free wi-fi plus a computer in the lobby you could use if you did not bring one. We would be happy to stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a patio or balcony overlooking the pool. Otherwise, your view is of the parking...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 June 2013

I understand that hotels can't keep smokers from smoking in "non-smoking" rooms, but the reek of old tobacco in my room made it uncomfortable for me (an asthmatic) and my wife (6 months pregnant). There were food crumbs on some furniture and a bud light bottle cap under the desk. The shower made a high pitched screaming noise and if you are lucky enough to be near the "Bull Shed" bar be ready for drunks to stumble noisily past your room at 2 am.

• Stayed June 2013
Los Alamos, New Mexico
Reviewed 9 June 2013

This was just a lay over for us, but it was clean and restful. The courtyard and pool was beautiful, wish we had to to hang out there longer. The overall decor is somewhat dated but the propert is very well maintained.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank NMcrew
Greenhithe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 June 2013

We stayed at this hotel on a business trip, it offered great value for money and great facilities. The room was excellent, great beds and a superb pool. Breakfast offered within price was very good and overall our experience was first class. We had no complaints, the front desk staff were very good and the hotel well presented.

Room Tip: Be poolside
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business