“Nice clean and quiet place”

Vagabond Inn Buttonwillow I-5
Ranked #43 of 63 Hotels in Bakersfield
Los Angeles, California
“Nice clean and quiet place”
Reviewed 24 September 2012

While driving off the 5 discovered this place it was a really good value since the place in front wanted
80 dlls per night and would not even see the room. I decided to go to the vagabond they showed me the
room which the lady was confident of the rooms that she was providing. Hot waffle breakfast and cereal in the morning. Very quiet got a good nights sleep and was well rested in the morning.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Joshua F

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Hebrew first
Half Moon Bay, California
Reviewed 24 August 2012

I always hate writing bad reviews, but I feel I must in this case.

Because of the mixed reviews of this hotel, I decided to give it a try on my way to AZ. Unfortunately it was the wrong choice.

When I pulled into the parking lot, I noticed that the hotel across the street had a parking lot full of cars - the one at this hotel was empty. I realized that was a red flag, but since I had a reservation at this hotel and it was past cancellation time, I checked in. The front desk person was very nice, have to give her a lot of credit for that - and of course the room was very reasonably priced. But for heaven's sake - how much effort is it to get out some soap and water and clean the room the right way? There were stains of some kind (that would have wiped off easily) on the inside of the door....they looked like a dark molasses, or something like that. The trim on the wall at the carpet level was black with dirt. The carpet was also black with dirt. I've never been really picky about hotel carpets, but I didn't want to walk on that one at all. I wore socks the entire time.

Thank goodness I didn't find any evidence of bedbugs, so that was a positive. Another positive was comfortable beds - but I didn't want to touch anything so I got into bed, slept, in the morning tossed my things into my bag, and left. No shower, no toothbrush, nothing - just got in and out.

To management: make a concentrated effort to do some cleaning. I do not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these Bakersfield hotels

Berkeley, California
Reviewed 24 July 2012

My girlfriend and I were driving to the Bay Area, and we needed a place to stay for the night since we were so tired from driving. The motel was conveniently located right off of the I5, and the advertised rate was cheap enough for us to give it a shot. Having arrived at 2am, we were given the last available room, which was the handicap-accessible room. The guy at the front desk was very friendly and nice. The room is just like any other room, but with a larger bathroom. The A/C was on when we entered the room, and that was a nice surprise since it was so warm outside. The room was not stinky, and the carpet and sheets looked fine. The only unpleasant thing was when a HUGE insect (cockroach?) walked out of the bathroom and hid behind the TV cabinet. We woke up too late for the free breakfast (served 2-9am), but the IHOP across the street was sufficient but a little expensive. Overall, it was a good value stay for the one night.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Surprise, Arizona
Reviewed 18 July 2012

My daughter and I were traveling to the Bay area and needed a room for the night. I saw the sign for this place which said $39.95 a night. We decided to try it. When we went in the girl said they only had a smoking room available. We don't smoke but decided to take it anyway since we were only stopping for the one night. Our room faced the freeway so it was a little noisy with traffic noise. The room was equipped with a microwave and fridge. It was clean but dated. The chair was flimsy and felt like it would fall apart . The smell of smoke was there but it wasn't overbearing. We had the breakfast they offered. There were two cereal choices, donuts, make-them-yourself waffles, and beverages. Orange juice was really Sunny D. Our stay was perfect for what we needed but wouldn't stay for more than a night.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the freeway.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Peoria, Arizona
Reviewed 28 June 2012

The chain lock on the door was missing. There was a mysterious trap door in the ceiling that we weren't sure if it was secured or not. Lamp shade was tattered. Funny overly sweet smell in the room. Not enough towels. Seemed to be a place for workers to stay, not for families! Watch out for dog poop!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Bandon, Oregon
Reviewed 8 January 2012

We rented two rooms. Desk clerk gave us a great deal, truckers rate. Son refused to sleep in room (he found horrible stains in unclean sheets. He slept in car. Continental breakfast was laughable. No coffee maker in room. Towels turned yellow when wet. Nothing could ruin our euphoria. Ducks won RoseBowl!

• Stayed January 2012
bakersfield
Reviewed 29 December 2011

i feel that anyone traveling through bakersfield or just need a place to stay over night should check out the vagabond inn north.The employees are very friendly and make everybody who comes through feel at home.The rates are good and the rooms are clean with comfortable beds and they also have a very good complimentary breakfast. I highly recommend this motel where you'll feel safe and secure and the customer service is GREAT!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family