“Oscar is a big help”

Ranked #8 of 63 Hotels in Bakersfield
Lone Pine, California
“Oscar is a big help”
Reviewed 3 March 2014

I booked a room through Hotel.com. The room was a two queen bed room for my wife and two of my kids (2 yr old, 11 mo old). Whoever booked me in a smoking room wasn't thinking, but somebody did. When I got to the fourth floor, where my room was located, the hallway reeked of marijuana. Someone had to of lit up right outside of the elevator. I don't fault the hotel for this, as they cannot control other guests actions. I went to my room and it had that stale smoking room smell. It was a nice looking room, but my son has asthma so I needed a different room. My wife called the front desk and they were able to move us to a room with a king size bed and brought us a roll-away. This room smelled nice and fresh and was very well put together. They comped us one night stay for the trouble. Oscar at the front desk was a big help and very friendly. All desk clerks should be that up-beat and positive. They had good cable and a nice pool/hot tub, but the "fitness center" was seriously lacking in both size and equipment. Only 3 cardio machines and no weights. All in all I had a good experience and got some good sleep. The housekeeper was Maria G. and she was awesome!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
pbonner, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Bakersfield, responded to this review, 14 March 2014
Wow it is just awesome to see when my staff steps up and exceeds our guest expectations! I am very proud of Oscar and he really does love his job and it shows. Thank you for mentioning Maria G and Oscar, this will be shared and they recieve an incentive reward for a job well done.

I appologize for the fitness center, we are so limited with size . We had to take out one of our bikes because it was not safe for emergencys. I am so jealous when I go to other Hilton Garden Inn's and they have this large spacious fitness center. It really was not a smart decision for our builders.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Nice room, comfy bed, etc. as I expected. But the fan on the air con kicked in regularly and was very noisy and I couldn't find any way to turn it to Low or off, or turn off the air con as it wasn't really needed.

Other guests on this floor that night were very noisy - big family groups with kids shouting down corridors from room to room. Fortunately they stopped about 10pm, otherwise I would have lodged a complaint.

Room Tip: Ask if there are any sports teams staying then ask for a room well away from them!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Nick S, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Bakersfield, responded to this review, 15 March 2014
Thank you for your recent review and for staying with us, Rhonda. I have forwarded the information about the air conditioner in the room and our maintenance staff will be fixing that this week. The beds are amazing here! I'm glad you liked them.
Bishop, United States
Reviewed 1 March 2014

The staff and accommodations are excellent. Great breakfast and close to other restaurants. The cooling system didn't seem to work properly when we arrived. I called the desk and a friendly attendant showed up within two minutes. He fixed the problem immediately. We will stay here on every visit.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Thank you for your recent review, Daniel. It's always great to hear when our guests love the property and great to hear that our staff was prompt in fixing your air conditioner. We look forward to having you stay with us again!
Santa Monica, California
Reviewed 27 February 2014

Our family had a swim meet in Bakersfield over Presidents Day Weekend and our team stayed at this hotel. The staff went far and beyond what was expected and made a very long weekend very nice. Oscar, Nick, Anna, Elise, Rudy, Hector, Arturo, Nancy and Rochelle did an excellent job and were so helpful in every way! I very much appreciate all they did and will stay at this hotel again if I am ever in Bakersfield!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Shari, thank you for the kind words! We strive to be #1 here in Bakersfield and look forward to having you again next time! I'll be sure to give those employees the recognition they deserve from you!
Bremerton, United States
Reviewed 22 February 2014

The outside of this hotel is very nice. The hallway smelled like freshener to cover up smoking guests. The room was very clean and did not smell but the furnishings were very old and outdated. I would not stay here again in the future. Hotel is located a long way from I-5 but close to airport. Staff was friendly and helpful. This hotel needs a remodel.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Thank you for the recent review Barbara, we like to hear all the positive and negatives about our guest's experiences.
We are slated to have renovations next year so that everything will be new new new! We're excited and hope you'll stay with us again.
Reviewed 22 February 2014

This hotel was booked late the night before. It was in a great position between other places we were staying in on our family holiday trip. It was a great room for our family of 4. If we had to stop in that area again would definitely stay there again.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Thank you for the outstanding review, Lisa. I"m glad you and your family enjoyed your stay with us! Come see us again soon!
Santa Monica, California
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Our family was traveling to Bakersfield for a sporting event at Bakersfield College. We picked this hotel as it was very convenient to the college taking 10 minutes or less which is nice when you are up at 7am. In planning the stay for the event the club worked with Rochelle. Rochelle took the extra effort to help us plan for the group from a group rate, keeping the rooms close, and planning a team event one night. The team event could not have gone any better with plenty of great food, and the staff could not have been more helpful and caring. Being that we had to all get up early it was nice that the hotel and rooms were quite. Because we had a short window in the morning to get up and get food it was nice that the breakfast buffet was open and was delicious, thanks to Manud, Rudy and Hector, and Karla's service as they provide quick turnaround on orders. The bar might not have been big, but the cocktails were generous and well priced, thank you Arturo and Nancy for the added service to making it feel like a friendly pub. Whenever there were any questions or problems the front desk could not have been more helpful, thank you Anna, Elsie, Oscar, and Nick as they were quick to help and provided the extra effort. The lobby is spacious and well appointed with a TV, fireplace, very comfortable chairs and sofas. We enjoyed a great group Sunday evening. Even with the restaurant closed on Sunday evening the staff helped by providing delivery menus and when the food arrived made the extra effort to provide any additional items we might need. The pool was clean and the perfect temperature. Fitness center is also very clean. Most of all the room was very comfortable and immaculate, thank you Rosa B and all the cleaning staff. Great place for the price! Will definitely be back next year, in fact we are already planning for the 2015 event.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
David, thank you for the stellar review! I'll be sure to pass this along to all the employees you mentioned. We look forward to you staying with us in 2015. Please let us know if we can be of any more help.