See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 28 May 2013

This property is dated and rundown. There are far better options in the Bakersfield area. The facilities are worn out, thr WiFi does not work and the rooms are dirty. the staff is not very guest friendly as is most likely a reflection of the management.

Room Tip: I would pay the additional $10 and stay at the Resdidence Inn across the street.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Douglas G
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Bakersfield - Chester Lane, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2013

Hi Douglas,

I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. I am so disappointed that your stay was not what you expected. Please accept my apology. Thank you again for providing us with your feedback. We will use this feedback to coach our team and improve our services. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at bcl@extendedstay.com. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience at our hotel the next time you're in town. Thanks again.

Reviewed 18 May 2013

I travel to Bakersfield for several days each month and this is one of the hotels that I usually use. The TV swivels so that I can watch it in bed or while sitting at the desk and have had no problems with the internet connection. There is a DVD player and I've brought workout disks with me. Unlike most hotel rooms, these rooms are large enough to do most of the routine. There is only soap in the room, but if you need shampoo, toothpaste, even a toothbrush, you just ask at the front desk and they will provide it. The breakfast consists of instant oatmeal packets, fruit like apples and oranges, and cereal bars. Since there's a fullsize fridge in the room, I usually buy yogurt and eggs at the grocery store for breakfast. My only real complaint is that the rooms tend to smell funny. You get used to it after awhile, but when you first walk in, it's really stinky. This has been the case with almost every room I've been in. I don't know if it's because they allow pets in the hotel, but they should probably shampoo the carpets or Febreeze them. The hallways smell just fine.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. It's great to hear that we were able to accommodate your needs. I apologize for the smell in the room. I have already scheduled some time with my Maintenance Engineer to review our current practices and see where we can make improvements. Thank you again for your review. We look forward to seeing you again, should your travels bring you back to our area.

Reviewed 8 May 2013

We stayed for a weekend and my first impression of the look was "wow"! Also, it was accessible and convenient near the freeway. When I left to go home, I accidentally left my purse in our room and the manager kindly fed ex to me, knowing he was so busy. Now, that's what I call "like a family you can trust!". The staff was great and patient with me on the phone- yet very "professional"- cuz I was nervous about my bag, although I had my ID and credit cards not in the bag. This bag was sentimental to me and the manager understood. Great breakfast "on the go" and very clean! I did look at the other Extended Stay on Calif. Avenue but did not appeal to me. Overall, I would return again!!!

• Stayed: April 2013
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Bakersfield - Chester Lane, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I'm so pleased to hear your glowing review of our hotel. The staff and I are so happy that we were able to find your purse and send it to you in timely fashion. It is our goal to ensure our guests are satisfied before, during and even after their stay with us.

Reviewed 1 May 2013

We had a choice between this ESA on Chester Lane, and the one on California Street. Just a word to the wise, the Chester Lane property backs up to a railroad yard, and unless you get a room that faces the front of the property, it's very noisy. Additionally, it's close to the freeway, which is convenient for access, but not so great for noise.

Also a word to the wise, you need to ask for shampoo and a hair dryer - which were happily given, but I've actually never stayed in a hotel where these two items weren't provided. It seemed inappropriately stingy.

For the one night that we stayed, the room was fairly comfortable and clean enough, and convenient (walking distance if you're feeling athletic) to some decent restaurants (Coco's and Marie Calendar's).

My biggest issue with the ESA/Chester Lane is that the door to our room had about a 1.5 inch gap at the bottom. My first thought was to wonder how many outside bugs/varmits found their way into this room. But the corker was in the middle of the night during one heck of a windstorm, it was necessary to stumble around at midnight and find things (towels, phone books, baggage, etc.) to shove up against the door to try to block the howling/freezing wind from entering our room.

There are comparably priced properties in Bakersfield, fairly close by, so my advice is to try one of those. We'll certainly look elsewhere next time we're passing through.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank DickandJane
Reviewed 11 March 2013

On the negative side, the hotel's front entrance boasts a handicap sign. They don't have automatic doors! If you want to avoid the smoking area, use the front entrance only.

On the positive side, the daily continental breakfast consisted of beverages: coffee, hot chocolate, and tea, fruit: apples and oranges, oatmeal packets of many different flavors, plus oatmeal squares of apple cinnamon and maple brown sugar and the occasional mini muffins from Marie Callendar's and Otis Spunkmeyer. The amenities of full sized fridge, dishwasher (housekeeping gives you the soap), microwave, stove top, lots of cupboards, pans, plates, etc. make it a homey experience. It's very clean and the staff is friendly and helpful.
My room on the top floor overlooked the back parking lot of Barnes & Noble and their dumpster. If you ask for a quiet room and they give you one of these rooms that overlook this eyesore ..... change to a different room! It's NOT quiet!! Besides the trash men who come at 6:30 am to empty it, there are the dumpster divers at all hours of the night making noise!!
Besides this, ESA is one of the better hotels in the area. I would stay again.

Room Tip: If your room overlooks the Barnes & Noble dumpster, ask for a different room. It won't be quiet! On the positive side to that, there are many colorful characters who frequent the eyesore.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
James B, Manager at Extended Stay America - Bakersfield - Chester Lane, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time write a review of your stay with us. We appreciate the positive comments about how clean and fresh the property was during your visit. Thank you so much for choosing Extended Stay Hotels, we look forward to seeing you the next time you are in Bakersfield.