“Great food in Bakersfield”

Valentien Restaurant
Ranked #23 of 826 Restaurants in Bakersfield
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Valentien is currently closed for re-engineering, but will be reopening soon!
New York City, New York
“Great food in Bakersfield”
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

This was my second time at the restaurant - both food experiences have been very good, we came twice with a local customer of ours who goes frequently - service very personable, good fresh and prepared very well.

1 Thank horstim

Garberville, California
“Very good night at Valentien”
Reviewed 5 November 2013

Three of us were on a business trip in Bakersfield. Happy we found valentiens. Pate plate starter was well seasoned, and presented well. Salads were imaginative, fresh and had wonderful flavors (the warm lamb, wilted spinach with onion dressing was very tasty). Had a mushroom pasta dish that was spectacular. Wines - we tried local regional producers - were enjoyable. desserts were brulees-one traditional one seasonal (pumpkin...), and a chocolate 'roon. all plates were nearly licked... Friendly staff; attentive service. You'll likely find the experience enjoyable, as we did.

• Visited November 2013
Bakersfield, California, United States
“Understated elegance”
Reviewed 6 September 2013

Gourmet food in a relaxing atmosphere. The breast of duck was one of the best I've had. The salads are terrific. I had the roasted stone fruit salad and my husband really enjoyed the watermelon salad. You won't be disappointed.

• Visited September 2013
Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
“Great restaurant, quiet location, great food & service”
Reviewed 27 June 2013

We visited here last weekend. The location is in a little strip mall on a good corner but seems to be very quiet. I made reservations online several days in advance for a Saturday night at 7:30. When we arrived there were perhaps 4 other couples and a party of 4. The place is definitely not big...perhaps a dozen tables? Anyway, they seated us immediately.

One thing to note, they keep the place a bit chilly with the AC. I suspect that's probably appreciated in general but my dining partner was wearing a cute little sleeveless top and skirt and she was cold so for the ladies, you might want to bring a sweater.

We got started with a glass of wine each plus some small plate starters. It should be noted that for those not familiar with fine dining, yes...the portions are small. We each got perhaps 2-3 bites from each plate...but what we got was fantastic! Really good, loaded with deep flavors. After that my GF got the beet salad with goat cheese. She really enjoyed it. I got the sake braised short-ribs...wow! They were fork tender, glazed with a soy mixture to give them a sweet/salty flavor as well and served on a bed of mashed potatos...really outstanding! Again, not giant portions, I think there were 3 boneless ribs on the plate, but by the time we were done we were most definitely satisfied without being "stuffed". Oh...and they provided some really good bread and butter at the table which was also delish!
All in all, a really good meal in a quiet location. The service was outstanding and the servers were great. Price for two including wine and starters was $70 before tip. I thought it was quite fair. I'll certainly go back!

• Visited June 2013
Houston, Texas
“Great Food, Great Service”
Reviewed 28 April 2013

"Fine food in Bakersfield" is not an oxymoron. After a succeesful week of meetings, myself and two colleagues ventured out to Valentien for our final dinner. I wish I'd found this place on previous visits to BFL.

The restaurant is hidden away in a small alcove at the NW corner of Oak and Truxton, but you have to park in the lot on the north side of the building and look for the small sign at the entrance to the alcove.

We ordered a selection of appetizers (aren't expense accounts nice?) including rabbit pate, which was quite small... almost amuse bouche sized but spread over the accompanying bread was excellent. We also had the dry sausage with raisin chutney. I had the pea soup which was nicely peppery and very, very good.

I chose the special of the day, rock cod, and received a good sized portion of thickly cut, meaty, great tasting fish upon a bed of potatoes. For dessert they provided a citrus tart (lemon and quice?) with a side (at our asking) of their freshly made pistachio ice cream. The portions were appropriately sized.

The restaurant is faily small with about 10 tables inside and maybe 4 outside in the alcove. The menu is diverse but the dishes are limited in number (a good sign). The small staff is excellent... knowledgeable, engaging, and they seem to enjoy their work.

For the three of us, not being particularly concerned with the cost, we ended up at about $60 a head (not including wine) for the meal. On a world scale, not bad at all.

When back in Bakersfield, I shall return to Valentien. It takes a lot to get a 5-dot rating from me. This place is worth it. Appreciate the good mexican food in the Bakersfield area, but every so often, skip yet another fat filled enchilada plate and head over to Valentien for quality food. You won't regret it.

• Visited April 2013