“Ideal stopover location” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of SpringHill Suites Bakersfield

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
SpringHill Suites Bakersfield
Ranked #11 of 62 Hotels in Bakersfield
UK
“Ideal stopover location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2010

Stayed here for one night with my wife and kids (ages 11 and 9) while travelling from Vegas to San Francisco. Though the room wasn't huge, the space had been used wisely with a living area and kitchenette taking up one end, and the bedroom and bathroom taking up ther rest. The beds were comfortable and the TV had the usual kids channels which was handy. There was plenty of storage space for clothes and luggage. The bathroom was not spectacular but did the job admirably. The pool was a bit small but we had it to ourselves for most of the time we were in it so that was fine. We ate at a near-by steak house which you can walk to in 5 minutes. After being in the car for 4.5 hours, that was a big bonus. The food was very good (I had the best burger of the vacation). The buffet breakfast did not have the variety we are used to in Europe but had enough variety to cater for everyone. The fresh waffle maker was a bonus although our 9 year old realised quickly that his eyes were bigger than his belly. The hotel was not busy so I couldn't comment on noise levels. The air con unit in the room was a bit noisy but white noise does have the bonus of blocking out any other noise. We all slept well so that must tell you something. The staff were few and far between but were friendly which is what matters. All in all, I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Korean first
Los Angeles
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2010

As another review noted, it's our home away from home too. We come to Bakersfield 4 or 5 times a year. After trying several other hotels, no other property gives me such a high value for my dollar as the Springhill Suites here. Now, I don't even bother looking for any other place...it's our "go to" hotel for Bakersfield.

To start off, each room is fairly close to being a real suite with one exception, noted below. There is a separate bedroom and living room with a good size bathroom. There could be a door between the rooms...there's a doorway and a full wall, but no door.

The living room is very comfortable for relaxing with a couch, two chairs, a desk and office chair, free wifi (or ethernet) in each room, a wet bar with fridge, microwave, and coffee maker. Yes, the TV's could stand some refreshing, but they work and have plenty of channels. Ironing board, iron, hair dryer, and twice as many pillows as you need are in each room also.

We travel with a wheelchair and the accessible suites with the bathtup/transfer bench combo work just fine for us. There are also several rooms with roll-in showers available but be aware that because those bathrooms are larger, you give up any separation between the bedroom and living room. In other words, the roll-in shower units are just one big room.

There's an indoor pool that is nice on Bakersfield's blistering hot summer days, a decent fitness room, and an outdoor spa area.

Breakfast includes an egg dish (usually a cheese omelet), a meat (sausage usually), breads, waffles, muffins, fruit, cereals, juice, milk, and yogurt. The breakfast area is bright and clean.

The location is just on the other side of the 99 freeway from the Crystal Palace, across the street from Costco and withing walking distance to one of Bakersfield's great Basque restaurants, Benji's.

Bakersfield itself is highy underrated as a destination. There's great food (some of the best Basque in America), nightlife (Crystal Palace, Fishlips, Trout's), auto racing, and many minor league and college sports events to attend. There is also some great places to get back to nature such as the Kern River and the Tule Elk Reserve.

If you have a membership in AAA, AARP, or are affilliated with many other groups or businesses, you can usually get a discount that will knock your rate down to the $80 range.

Great hotel at a great price.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
Reno, Nevada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2010

I have stayed her multiple times over the past several years. I initially rated it very highly but it seems to be going downhill now...disappointing given their higher rates . TV's are older, tube variety. Mattresses and pillows lumpy, need replacing. Luggage carts, once broken, were never repaired. They now order only a few copies of USA Today for the lobby so only the early riser gets one. Daytime male desk clerk VERY unwelcoming on my last visit. Moreover, found hairs in both the bed linens and the bathtub upon arrival. As others have noted, building has poor soundproofing and the doors have gaps for less security as well. I've noted fewer and fewer cars in the parking lot, confirmed by the night desk clerk, so it may be a trend. On the plus side, wi-fi is still free; breakfast still offers hot & cold options; building has easy entry & exit for the business traveler (tho the parking lot still has no shade); and it is convenient to both Hwy 99 and 58. I will be trying other newer properties in BFL like the Hampton Inn next time.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Abbot71
Walnut Creek, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2010

My work requires me to travel to Bakersfield every week and have been staying at this hotel regularly for over 3 years. The rooms are modern, spacious and clean. Free internet access, a microwave, mini-fridge gives and small work-out room gives me everything I need. The free breakfast is pretty generous, considering it's...free!

Most of all, the staff here, on various occasions, has gone above and beyond the call of duty for me. I've stayed at many Marriott hotels around the world and I have not come across a friendlier, more helpful staff than the Springhill Suites in Bakersfield. I could stay at any hotel in town, but I choose to stay at the Springhill and recommend it to all of my co-workers. It truly has become my home away from home.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank MattL94596
Tucson, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2010

As my title states, this hotel was adequate. I can't give it my "raving review" nor can I tell you anything was wrong other than the walls were a little thin (and noisy). While the room was rather worn, it was clean. Service was average, breakfast was average, location was average.

Wouldn't mind staying here again, but if I found a better rate at one of the other hotels on the street, I'd probably go there. Nothing exceptional to keep me here, but it did serve it's purpose.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
Camp Nelson, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2010

This hotel is beautiful...Very clean and modern. I really liked the layout of the rooms. Not your ordinary hotel room, that's for sure. Really nice.
Now for the downside....This room was very noisy. Doors slamming, I'm sure there was a dancing bear in the room above! Clump, clump, clump ALL night long. I could understand every word said by someone walking down the hall, and they weren't talking loud! I don't think there was an ounce of sound proofing in the whole building!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Garden Valley, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2010

First off, in defense of the hotel and staff, the rooms were large and very nice, the staff was trying to be helpful. We arrived after a long drive to a fairly quite hotel, told them we were tired and were going to have a early dinner and needed sleep. They asked which floor we would like one, two or three, we chose one. Went to get a bite to eat, when we returned the hotel was full of running, screaming children, with apparent no parental supervision. We went to our room, only to find the children running and screaming down the halls and wrestling outside our door. Also, someone was playing soccer or basketball above us. After about an hour of this we asked to have a quiter room. She said the hotel was full of children and appologized, gave us a room on the fourth floor at the end. It was quite for about an hour, then we found out the children love to run up and down the stairs next to our room. Finally about 10PM it started to quiet down and I just started to drift of to sleep, when a screaming 5-8 year comes running down our hall. Where are the parents? I know the Marriott can't control the children but can't they control the parents. It was nice to see fathers sitting in lobby drinking beer and pretending these children were not theirs.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple