“Nice hotel but re-check your confirmation rate prior to your arrival”

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Bakersfield Central
Ranked #7 of 63 Hotels in Bakersfield
Chicago, IL (suburbs)
“Nice hotel but re-check your confirmation rate prior to your arrival”
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Booked this hotel in August for an overnight stay in October to see a concert in the downtown area. When I booked the room, the rate was $85.00 and when I reconfirmed the rate four days before my arrival, the rate somehow jumped up to $130. I contacted Holiday Inn corporate and they told me they were unable to change the rate and I should contact the hotel directly, which I subsequently did and was told by the desk agent I would have to speak with the hotel manager directly ( who was not there ). I called back the next day and explained the situation to a different person, as the manager was still not on location. I was told, "Well Sir, that's a car show weekend and those rooms are going for $280.00" I advised the desk agent that I had a rate of $85.00, booked back in August and I was merely trying to clear this problem up BEFORE I arrived so I wouldn't have to cause a scene. The employee sounded less than enthused to help me and told me the message, "would be passed along" . Luckily upon my arrival, the rate had been adjusted but there was no explanation as to who, or why it was initially increased.

The hotel is situated on a major roadway on one side and an expressway on the other so the likelihood of noise is high, but it was tolerable. The room was nice and clean and even had ceiling fans.The bedding was excellent. The hotel grounds were clean and there was plenty of lighted parking available. We were there on a Friday night and it wasn't until we were exiting the hotel to go to our show that we were made aware of some sort of barbeque taking place near the pool. I wasn't advised anything about this upon check in, as it would have been nice to know in advance and we could have planned accordingly.

The staff was friendly and even offered to take pictures of us while we posed upstairs near the chandelier. The breakfast bar was well stocked. If I had reason to be in Bakersfield again, I would stay at this hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
BC
Reviewed 21 October 2013 via mobile

This is for the Buck Owens hotel...

Stop #2 from BC to California. Had booked over the phone, the day before arrival, a family suite (for five). Arrived just before 9pm to find that 90 German accordion players were in town and our room wasn't actually available. No big deal as they had popped us into two separate rooms at same rate (which I thought was a bit high for a suite but we couldn't afford to be choosy at the time of calling, but rate for two rooms was a deal) which worked well. Front desk fellow had tried to call numerous times to advise (but we had given him a home number as we had a traveling sim and didn't think to give that instead).

Their attempt at 'making it good' for us was great and appreciated. Front desk man, despite having to ready for the German visitors about to arrive minutes after us, did a great job at making us feel welcome. His hospitality was very appreciated.

Rooms were clean and spacious, quiet, and in good repair and obviously newly renovated, and well appointed. Hotel had the bland look outside like 'those type' often do, but it was a nice touch to see the dual curving staircases... added a touch of grandeur.

Exterior pool which was nice and cold after a good hot tub. But it is right beside the highway so not a quiet venue but for one night it was fine.

Breakfast was free and so-so, but can't complain about free, ever! Free wifi, which is always appreciated, especially when it works.

On a non-hotel note: Rusty's pizza delivery was great.

Stayed October 2013
Carlsbad, California
Reviewed 20 October 2013

I spent 3 nights there recently an the staff was very courteous and the rooms were very nice and clean. Breakfast Bar is really easy and refreshing. Workout room is not the best. Very elegant decorations with Chandelier and furniture was a nice touch.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 6 October 2013

The property is 7 years old, but still looks like new. Complimentary upgrade to suite with in-room hot tub. Location is very good; only 10 minutes to the airport and many restaurants nearby.
Bedding was excellent. Room had mini fridge, coffee maker, iron & board, wireless, flat screen T.V. Bathroom had deluxe shower setting with body spray nozzles as well as standard overhead nozzle. Decent breakfast w/ hot & cold food. No bar in the hotel. I will stay here again. Walking distance to famous country western Buck Owens Palace.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Woodway, Texas
Reviewed 30 September 2013

The architecture, grounds, interior design, hospitality and cleanliness of this hotel meet or exceed my expectations of Holiday Inn Express. I travel frequently for work and stay in many IHG brands across the country, but I always look forward to staying at this particular hotel. Rooms have ceiling fans (which I LOVE and have seen nowhere else). TV's are HDTV and have many channels to choose from. Breakfast is always hot, with lots of choices, well stocked and prepared, and opens earlier than most (5:00 am). Showers have "body wash" nozzles and well working exhaust fans. Owner often has complimentary meals in the evening for great pizza, BBQ, cookouts by the pool, etc. that really contribute to a welcome atmosphere. It's kinda like "Cheers", after you check in you're always greeted when you return and everybody knows your name. Wow! Who could ask for more when having to be in a "home away from home"?

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
London
Reviewed 18 September 2013

The entrance to the hotel suggests what a good quality place it is - sweeping staircases, spacious guest areas and polished woods.

The room on the first floor was luxurious - solid, classy furnishings, extremely spacious, and great facilities, including mini kitchenette. Bathroom was all you'd wish for - again, the feel of somewhere much more expensive. Despite busy road out front very little sound was audible and the place facilitated a great night's sleep.

The location is also brilliant - just off the freeway, easy to get in and get out, which is probably what you're doing in Bakersfield.

An unexpected gem.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
San Diego, California
Reviewed 8 September 2013

Had to leave Yosemite park early due to fires and thought we might be able to drive the 5-6 hours home. My Husband became ill after hiking in smoke and we need to somewhere to stay in a hurry. We were offered this room at the Holiday Inn and I never realized how I could ever have missed not hearing about these rooms! The rooms and Hotel are just beautiful, cool and spacious. I loved our room! Breakfast left much to be desired though, I felt it could have been much better, sliced artificial cheese omelet,yogurt, coffee was watered down. A bit pricey at $180 for a Suite with 2 queen beds after taxes.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family