“Bakersfield”

Red Lion Hotel Bakersfield
Ranked #42 of 63 Hotels in Bakersfield
Reviewed 22 June 2014

After a hard day on the road it was very pleasant to walk into a clean room, nice swimming pool and relaxing spa. I still have issues with most places not having an elevator and I had to ask for towels for the pool and they were not readily available. The staff was friendly and courteous.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 21 June 2014

Overall this is a pretty good place to stay, the location for me is great, plenty of activities near by to unwind after a long work day. The Buck Owens Crystal palace is right next door, great bar and restaurant and the hotel also has a decent restaurant and lounge on site.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

This hotel is conveniently located off the freeway in Bakersfield, so we've stayed there a few times in our treks across California. I absolutely love the landscaping around the interior courtyard. It seems like a tropical paradise. Sitting in the hot-tub you can soak in the trees and sky and flowers - very refreshing after a long journey. The rooms are a bit small and the beds (we had two queens) are too close to the walls - whoever sleeps on that side can have fun getting in and out of bed. Twice when I've made reservations I requested a microwave (they claim some rooms have them), and was promised a room with a microwave, but on arrival (a few hours later) there wasn't one available. We did take-out instead of warming up food we had packed, costing us time and money. Also, there were no towels in the room when we arrived, but promptly they were sent - all two of them even though four of us checked in. And finally, the rooms and decor were just dated and old - a new coat of paint would go a long way. The taps in the bathroom were wild - strange design with spikes! I would not want to slip and fall onto one of those! Oh, and they have those fake duvets that only cover the bottom of the bed, so too bad if the room is cold. When you check in you get a chit for your breakfast next door - one beverage (juice or coffee), and a standard American breakfast. Anything different will cost you. You feel like you've been transported back in time in that diner! Cute, but not good if you're picky.
Would I stay here again? Given my options in Bakersfield, probably. I will not count on a microwave this time! And I'll hope they have invested some money in a much needed update.

Room Tip: ask for one facing the courtyard! And on the ground floor if you have kids who will want to go back...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 June 2014

This was a very nice hotel overall. There were some issues with our rooms but the staff worked very hard to overcome the problems. Because of that, I will stay there again. There are plenty of places to eat and an AM PM right next door. Easy access to Highway 99 north and south.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Not a bad place to stay if you're looking for a cheap place to stay in bakersfield. The rooms look old from the outside, but they did a decent job of updating the inside. The food was better than some of the other places ive stayed in bakersfield. The pool looked clean even though we did not use it. It's a cheap place but I would stay again if I needed a cheap place to stay.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I’m not sure about the hotel, my wife and I stayed her for about 5 times in the last 4 years and we see that the rooms getting worn out, this time we were a bit disappointed, we get our keys to the room, it was on the far side of the lobby and we had to drag our suite cases over the carpet until we reached the room. Then it started, the door wouldn’t open and there was a "do not disturb" sign hanging on the door, so I had to walk back to the counter and told the girl about the sign, she just punched in our card again and said it must be fine now.
I also ask her why she didn’t told us that we can drive our car to that backside room, oh I ’m sorry, i forgot to tell you, she said!!!
I went back to the room, get it open, but it seems to be occupied, lights on, bed not made,
I never see somebody, but I shut the door quickly and we went to the manager again, to tell her about that, she just gave us another room and that was it.
We were a bit disappointed with this kind of work, but we just wanted to rest a bit and we went to our room.
It looked alright, but when we tried the air co, outside was 93° f, it staid on for an our and there was little change in the room, so we went out for dinner.
Later that evening I wanted to sit outside on the terrace, no chairs, a lot of cigarette filters laying around, it looked as if they not cleaned it up for a while.
We booked the room for two nights but we leaving after that one night, we are not sure if we come back to this hotel ever.
They have a good breakfast, but for the price we find a cheaper hotel and have breakfast with Denny’s

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Came back to room, while repairs were taking place. Final result was dirty, chemicals spilt and terrible smell. The room was already not in good shape, but after the maintenance on the bathroom sink that room was gross.