“wouldn,t stay here again”

Red Lion Hotel Bakersfield
Ranked #32 of 62 Hotels in Bakersfield
pa
“wouldn,t stay here again”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2007

From the outside and from the lobby this place looks great. Our room and hallways had a very funky smell. The place is well worn. Lots of nice looking guests, I would guess they were fooled by the pretty lobby also. We received free breakfast at the restaurant next door. It opened at 6:00 we were the 5th and 6th persons to walk in and were not waited on til 6:20. Didn't receive our cold "hot breakfast" until 6:40. They had 2 waitresses on, and undoubtedly the restaurant knows they will be swamped for breakfast, the entire morning, but chooses not to have the staff to accomodate for this. I would definately not stay here again, far to many other options.

• Liked — lobby
  • Disliked — room
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Hebrew first
Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2007

My husband and I stayed here for one night while we were in town to see a concert at the Crystal Palace. The room was clean, comfortable and quiet. We had patio doors that opened up to the very pretty courtyard. It was a nice place to stay for a reasonable price.

• Liked — The courtyard
  • Stayed November 2005, travelled as a couple
memphis,tn
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2007

We stayed this hotel when we're on the road back to San Franciso, the lobby is big,my husband waited for more than 20 minutes for the check in.We got our rooms on first floor(ground floor)When we entered the room,only one word came to mind "big", you still have many room which a 3-seater sofa was there(of course queen bed,tv,fridge all standard)They even put some end tables to fill up the room,can you imagine.I like the room is all the wire/cable were hidden ,the room looks clean,the coffee maker and a little refreshment bar right out of the bathroom.Well,let's talki about bathroom,the bathroom looks big and clean too,but when I turned on the shower(i just want to check not using it),I can see some hairs floating on the tub,I don't know if it is minor or not,but it really making the score low to me.

• Stayed December 2006, travelled with friends
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
, Front Office Manager at Red Lion Hotel Bakersfield, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We strive to ensure all our guests are satisfied with their stay. We are sorry that we did not meet your expectations. I will pass the message to that department. I hope you give us a second chance. Best Regards
San Luis Obispo
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2006

I checked in Oct 30, 2006 at past 3 PM. I then went out with my friends and when I came back to my room at past 12 midnight, a different group of hotel guests were in my room!!! They gave my room to another guest!!! I was given another room with faulty shower control.

This was the worst hotel I have been to. I complained to the customer service hotline. The explanation given was it is on a first come first serve basis! But I already checked in and got the room. I just went out to a night out with friends. Customer service said there is nothing they could do.

I will never use this hotel again.

• Stayed October 2006, travelled with friends
1 Thank austriamd

Travellers are raving about these Bakersfield hotels

Irvine, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2006

Since this was only going to be an overnighter, I was more interested in price and places to eat, than anything else. I couldn't beat the $56 price, compared to the 'fancier' places near the next exit off of Hwy 99. This BW is located next door to the Buck Owens Crystal Palace, whatever that is...

We entered a HUGE lobby that was already decorated for Haloween, just after dark Get this, they had FOUR agents working check-in. Although two of them were busy dealing with an irate man who's discount coupon was not being honored. After some swearing [and typical threats], he and his wife finally stomped-out.

Average size room with a bed and your standard overstuffed cloth chair, including medium-size fridge and microwave. Reasonable selection of cable TV but poor reception of local/network channels. The remote for the TV was barely functional [see photo]. It was one of those units that only controls power, volume [+/-], channel [+/-], and mute. Unfortunately the remote would not turn the TV on, that had to be done manually.

The room looked out into a large pool area surrounded by [real] rose bushes and plants. It was very pleasant. The pool was very large, but keep an eye on all those signs telling you that the pool is NOT heated. The jacuzzi seemed very popular after dark.

I complain quite a bit that I always get second story rooms. Now I know why they might be better. It had slipped my mind that in an elevated room, nobody is staying above you. In the future I will trade the inconvenience instead of the noise from above.

The sink area was located with the shower/toilet, which is inconvenient because the coffee maker is placed. Don't expect to be overwhelmed by personal ammenities. Near the sink there is a small, lonely wicker basket [about the size of a softball] which contained a one bar of soap and a shampoo [see photo]. On the wall of the shower, there was a dispensing contraption attached. I have seen these before, but this one did not indicate what exactly was in it [see photo]. Since I was supplied with a small shampoo, I had to assume it was bathing soap, which it indeed was.

WiFi set-up and configuration worked fine.

The hotel has an adjacent restaurant that appears more suited for breakfast than any other dining. Upon check-in we were given small, dated coupons for breakfast. Since this was not a continental breakfast, you are offered a choice of two-eggs, sausage or bacon, hash browns. choice of toast or muffin, and coffee OR [very small] juice. The breakfast was adequate and would have cost $10 at Denny's anyway.

Speaking of Denny's, there is one right across the street, and not much else. The hotel is also right next to an AM/PM. The closest 'decent' restaurant is a short drive under Hwy 99, The Hungry Hunter. They have excellent steaks and very attentive service. However, if you are staying at this BW, the Hungry Hunter may not be the place for you [$$$].

Next to the hotel restaurant, there is a bar with a C&W theme. Tuesday night was not there best night for a few beers though, as it was BAD kareoke night. I mean, REALLY BAD! Thank God for that AM/PM MiniMart that sold beer!

The BW was full that night [on a Tuesday?], and although the parking lot was enormous, it can fill-up quickly, especially with large trucks and trailers.

I can understand that their short cuts are required to keep prices reasonable. They are trying their best to make the place appear respectable. Sure the rooms have a few bumps and bruises, much like a nick or two on a small piece of fruit. In the end, you still buy the fruit, and it tastes fine. If you want easy freeway access for a night, at a low- to mid-level price, stay here and you wont have too many complaints the next morning.

• Liked — Good price and easy freeway access.
  • Tips/Secrets — Research the price carefully, you may find some good deals!
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled with friends
3 Thank airlinestuff
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay. We are so happy your stay was comfortable; it tells us we are doing something right. Your positive comments are greatly appreciated and glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Come visit us again in the near future.
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2006

My wife and I stayed here overnight on our way from Las Vegas to San Francisco. We found the staff cheerful and courteous. The room was large and clean, and the facilities were good. The swimming pool area is fantastic, like an oasis in the desert, if you have kids travelling with you I believe they will find this area to be fun. Don't expect 5 star, it isn't, but it is good value if you want somewhere clean and close to the downtown area. We would have no hesitation staying here again if the opportunity arose.

• Stayed May 2006
1 Thank Navek
Thank you for your recent comments regarding your stay with us.
We are delighted to hear that our staff offered a helping hand for you and you’re. We are pride ourselves on guestroom cleanliness and I’m so happy that you took notice and experience we appreciate your business hope to see you soon.
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2006

Used this motel for one night, whilst in transit from Las Vegas.
No problems. Easy to find.
Very helpful staff.
Clean, with a nice pool and barbacue area.
Recommended

• Stayed May 2006
, Guest Relations Manager at Red Lion Hotel Bakersfield, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Thank you for your recent comments regarding your stay with us.
We are delighted to hear that our staff offered a helping hand for you and you’re. We are pride ourselves on guestroom cleanliness and I’m so happy that you took notice and experience the results of the staff’s hard work.