“Average Marriott, Fits the Market”

Bakersfield Marriott at the Convention Center
Ranked #14 of 63 Hotels in Bakersfield
Pasadena, California
“Average Marriott, Fits the Market”
Reviewed 1 July 2012

The Bakersfield Marriott is average in every way, which is not a bad thing.

It's an older property with free parking behind the hotel, and an upgraded lobby. The rooms are just OK with little soundproofing, so I had the conversations of the Fraternal Order of Eagles convention group at hand till late evening as they roamed the halls and slammed doors. I asked the staff to call the adjacent room to be sensitive to the noise but they seemed disinterested since it was a big group, I'd guess. The Eagles ate a lot of pizza as evidenced by the boxes strewn in the hallway and not picked up till late morning.

The Concierge Lounge is nice with an average breakfast offering, but the evening wine selection was absolutely pathetic and expensive as well.

All in all it's probably about what passes for a top notch hotel in Bakersfield, just don't have your expectations set too high.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
, General Manager at Bakersfield Marriott at the Convention Center, responded to this review, 2 July 2012
Thank you for completing the review and for your comments on our facilty. We appreciate your time in giving us your feedback.

I also want to apologize for your experience with the noise. it is never our intention to place any guest in that situation and I have taken the necessary steps to ensure this does not repeat itself.

Thank you for taking the time to assist us in personalizing not only your experience but every guest to come, we appreciate your business and look forward to being of assistance on your next trip to Bakersfield

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
  • Hungarian first
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 28 June 2012

I stayed at the Marriott 20-23 June. I found the staff to be very pleasant and accommodating.
My arrival was quite early, before noon actually, and coincidentally, as I approached the desk she was just checking to see if my room was ready because I requested an early check-in. A room was ready, but during my conversation with her, I discovered that there is a noisy side to the hotel where the train passes. I told her I would happily wait in the lounge until a room away from the train-tracks was available. She secured my luggage and I worked in the lounge. Brandon the bartender offered me a drink and gave me my drink frr since I was waiting for a room.

The room was nice, well located and big enough for my needs. The only drawback was there was no frig in the room and I always request one to keep my red bulls cool -but no big deal.

No issues with the internet, which was included in my rate. The Concierge Lounge was perfect because you didn't have a lot of people in their tripping all over you and the food was good enough to replace dinner for me. A nice size group sat around watching TV or having a leisure day,

You must ask Brandon for the fried shrimp and calamari. IT WAS THE BEST! I placed an order every day that I was there.

Can't speak to the parking because I didn't rent a car. The hotel has a shuttle and I enjoyed talking to Carlos and hearing about Bakersfield. I did find out that taxi service is a little high but cheaper than renting a car.
I would definitely stay here again and would recommend to friends.

Room Tip: If you're sensitive to noise, ask for a room away from the train.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Thank you so much for your kind words. I believe staff can either make or break an experience at any Hotel. I’m thrilled to see we were able to make your stay more enjoyable. We all hope you stay with us again when you visit Bakersfield.
Reviewed 23 June 2012

Ms. Lupita greeted us whith a awesome smile and had our room all set up with extra pillows, towels when we checked in.
Happy hour at the lobby bar stats at 11:00 am and goes to 7:00pm.
The Restraunt call The Nines served a outstanding fresh seafood soup with plenty of shrimp, scallops and fresh fish.
No need to step out at this all service downtown location next door to the convention center.

• Stayed June 2012
Thank you for your wonderful review of our hotel! I am thrilled that we were your favorite hotel during your recent trip to Bakersfield. I am so glad you enjoyed our restaurant and especially our cioppino. Thanks again for choosing the Bakersfield Marriott at the Convention Center, we look forward to being of service on your next trip to Bakersfield!
Hollywood, CA
Reviewed 22 June 2012

This hotel was new clean, offered great service ( thanks to Mardi & Henry front desk/Manager Melissa) had a great hotel bar (Blake was awesome) that serves GREAT hotel food. This hotel is definitely a "yes" hotel. Yes meaning, if you need something it gets taken care of right away. This is definitely a hotel I would recommend to anyone looking in the Bakersfield area. Cost efficient!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
We appreciate you taking the time to comment on our hotel and especially your comment regarding our staff. We have a training team who reviews guest feedback and communicates that information back to our staff. We will use your comments to train and to reward our team.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Los Angeles
Reviewed 17 June 2012

Nothing exciting but no surprises either. Room was spacious and nicely appointed. I was in town for business and the location of the hotel was convenient to several meetings. Rate was under $100 and a terrific value. The bartenders were friendly and attentive, even with the bar full with patrons watching the Kings win the Stanley Cup. I'd definitely stay here again on my next business trip to Bakersfirld.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent stay at the Bakersfield Marriott at the Convention center and your loyalty to Marriott Hotels. Your positive rating and detailed review is very much appreciated. I was pleased to see that our property exceeded your expectations. Once again thank you for your business and we hope to serve you again when you visit Bakersfield.
Bakersfield, California
Reviewed 5 June 2012

Excellent beds in clean room. Good value, if you are not awoken by the freighttrains and amtrack trains shuffeling around and signalling. Otherwise good place to stay in downtown Bakersfield. A/C Units are very loud.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the back of the hotels are facing the train tracks. Rooms facing the front the street...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Marriott_BFL, General Manager at Bakersfield Marriott at the Convention Center, responded to this review, 8 June 2012
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your most recent stay
It is our goal to not only meet but exceed the expectations of our guests at all times.
Although we have double glass windows we are certainly unable to prevent the Amtrak train from announcing their departure or arrival into the station.which is walking distance to the hotel. However I'm delighted to inform you that we have begun the repair work on our A/C Units making them significantly quieter.
We appreciate your business and making us your home away from home on your trip to Bakersfield, We look forward to your next visit to the Bakersfield Marriott at the Convention Center.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 29 May 2012

This hotel has all the comforts one could want. The property is privately owned Marriott but they maintain 95 percent of the JW Marriott standards. Rooms are excellently manicured and the staff is well trained in customer service. There is an onsite restaurant I'll rate as a 3. Three because they are willing to accommodate your tastes regardless of what that might be. They lost two stars because the chef tries but cannot seem to get a handle on some of the basics. For instance I asked for a simple rice and grilled chicken dinner. Chicken was dry and rice was so mushy one could not eat it. So I asked for a garlic butter type dip for the chicken and it was so tasteless I did not use it... resorting to the not so favorite cover-up for bad food, the "Ketchup" and told the waiter to remove the rice. He returned with some fingerling potatoes which was decent. As for the business center, general hotel one was far superior to the concierge lounge one! On the other hand the concierge lounge rates a 4 star compared to many of the other ones I have tried. Good morning and evening food, excellent drinks, sodas, water and attendants. Hotel was supposed to have secure elevators but the card reader was not working, so anyone could use them. Location of this hotel is highly central to downtown Bakersfield, walking distance to both train station and movie theater, but not eateries. Website for the hotel is spot on. One thing they do not tell you when making a reservation; trains run from 4 am to 11 pm... that is amtrak. The container holding trains run at anytime and are unpredictable. All rooms facing south are closest to the tracks and the further west your room the further away from the train station!

Room Tip: Rooms on North/West side are the quietest!!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank CDMDJD
Marriott_BFL, General Manager at Bakersfield Marriott at the Convention Center, responded to this review, 5 June 2012
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your most recent stay
I will certainly be passing along your comments to our Executive Chef.
I thank you for taking the time to assist us in personalizing not only your experience but every guest to come.