“Good as it gets in Bakersfield” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bakersfield Marriott at the Convention Center

Bakersfield Marriott at the Convention Center
Ranked #12 of 62 Hotels in Bakersfield
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Good as it gets in Bakersfield”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2013

Great vibe, central location, extremely clean and very friendly staff. I was traveling with the entire crew from work and we all loved the place. Everyone from the front desk staff, the bar staff and the house made the visit enjoyable.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Marriott_BFL, General Manager at Bakersfield Marriott at the Convention Center, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
Thanks for staying with us and continuing to post your fabulous comments. We strive to exceed our guests’ expectations so I am happy to learn our mission was accomplished. I will be sure to share your nice comments about our staff with our team and will certainly share your kind remarks with the front desk and bar staff. We can’t wait for you and your crew to return!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Hungarian first
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013 via mobile

The hotel was clean and amenities comfortable. The staff was wonderful: friendly and attentive.

Now the not so good. My room on the 6th floor was drafty. I turned the heater to 78 degrees to keep from being cold (in California!). I don't watch a lot of tv which it turns out is good as the low definition TV set in the room could not handle the high definition TV signal coming from the satellite feed!

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for your recent visit and for letting us know about your stay, I am happy you found our staff helpful and accommodating. I was terribly sorry to learn that you experienced problems with the AC unit and TV in your room. I will most certainly have our engineering team investigate the room and check for necessary repairs, I hope you will plan to visit again soon.
Orange, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2013 via mobile

Stayed here because I was working at the convention. The commute to the convention center was obviously ideal however parking was terrible. Hotel restaurant is not worth the wait, and by wait I mean hour long wait on Friday nights. Also do not get the "buffet" it's just a tiny salad bar. Talk about taking liberties in using the word "buffet". If you are going to be at the convention center, for work, I would recommend staying here otherwise don't.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for your recent visit and your post. We are truly fortunate to be so conveniently located adjacent to the Convention Center. I am truly sorry for the inconveniences you encountered during your stay, we typically attempt to block parking for everyone staying with us as well as attending conference held at our hotel. I will make sure to observe further and make adjustments immediately. We definitely do not want our guests to wait for a good meal. We take great pride in providing a high level of service. I hope you will give us another opportunity to regain your confidence by staying with us again in a pleasant and relaxed atmosphere.
Eureka,CA.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013

First the staff a he front desk were friendly and very helpful, the hotel was comfortable and clean , it may be just a little dated but still had a wonderful time and stay, the business center could use a little update and or more computers, the restaurant down stairs had good service and the food was good but the cost per meal was a little high.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
I enjoy learning when we have provided top notch customer service to our visitors. Thank you for letting me know as we always strive to provide our guests with an exceptional experience. I will be sure to share your nice comments about our food with our team, as we prepare to replace several of our dated and worn furniture items within the next 6 months. We look forward to your next visit.
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2013

There aren't a lot of safe, decent places to stay in Bakersfield; however, this Marriott does not deserve a solid review simply because there are no other acceptable places in the area, as it does not live up to the Marriott reputation.

The entire place seems old and falling apart (much like the rest of Bakersfield). I was expecting at least the Marriott to be better than the surrounding area. The elevators are slow and the buttons don't always light up, so you're not sure if you're even going to the right floor. You have to put your room key into the elevator before hitting the floor, but that didn't always work before the elevator started moving, so you often miss your floor. The walls are paper thin. I should have taken pictures of the carpet in our room, as it had obvious mold stains. The carpet was deteriorating and dark, and was molding in many spots. The bed was a rock and, for someone who rarely complains about the bed (I can pretty much sleep anywhere), I had a terrible time falling asleep here. The internet took forever, and there was no fridge or microwave in the room. When I called the front desk to ask if there was a microwave in the lobby or restaurant area that a guest could use to heat something up, she rudely told me there were no microwaves in the building for guest use. Umm...it's a Marriott and it's 2014. I've stayed at sleazy motels where there is a microwave set up for guest use, if there is not one provided in the hotel room. If there is no microwave at all, at least let me heat it up in the restaurant microwave! So there went my dinner. Later in our stay, the bartender on Sunday night was completely rude and ignored us for 14 minutes before even acknowledging we were seated in front of him. He slowly made his way around the bar, didn't even glance at us as we sat down, and then headed out of the bar to check on customers in the restaurant area. I understand he was probably stressed, but he shouldn't have taken that out on his customers. Everyone at the bar was grumbling. The only laundry facility for a 9-story building was in a room straight from a Law & Order episode, with only two washers. Overall, I expected WAY more from a Marriott.

The only pro would be its location, as it is adjacent to the Convention Center. Stay somewhere outside of Bakersfield and drive to the Convention Center. You're paying for parking at the Center regardless, and you'll have a much better experience.

1 Thank LynnJD
Chino Hills, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2013

This is my second stay at this property in 6 months and this time I was upgraded to a suite. The person who checked me in, Sara, was the only positive experience I had while staying at the property. When I walked into the suite, I felt like I walked back in time. All the furniture, except the TV's, were from the 60's and 70's. No desk for a business traveler, only a round dining room table with 4 chairs. The chairs were definitely dated and very uncomfortable. The finish on the dining room table was peeling, yuck!

As a Platinum Elite member, I has access to the Concierge Lounge. They served Sushi and Fried Won Tons. I cannot comment on the Sushi, since I am allergic to seafood. In regards to the Fried Won Ton, they were cold, hard and tasteless. They had carrots and celery on a separate plate and it looked like they were just thrown onto the plate, no presentation. In my opinion, it looked like the bare minimum was provided in the Lounge.

In addition, I had an issue with one of the TV's in the room. Just before going to bed, I turned on the TV in the bedroom (I had the one in the living room on to watch the Monday night football game on ESPN). The TV in the bedroom was directly behind the TV in the living room, only separated by a wall. The TV in the bedroom didn't get ESPN and the picture quality on other stations was poor. I called around 8:45 PM and requested service. The operator said he would be right up. 30 minutes later, no one had showed up and I called the operator again. Again, she said he would be right up and then I asked if she could check with him. She did and she stated that he was with a guest and would come up after he finished with the guest. I thanked her for checking with him and then told her that if he wasn't at my room by 9:30 PM, not to bother that I would be going to bed because I had an early appointment in the morning.

At 9:30 PM, I put the DO NOT DISTURB sign on my door. At 9:35 PM, there was a knock on my door. I was in bed and did not answer the door. A minute later, again there was a knock on the door. Another minute passed and another knock on the door. I was now very upset that whoever was at my door ignored the DO NOT DISTURB sign. I opened the door and it was the technician. He is holding television repair parts in his hands and I asked him very nicely, "Can you read?" There is a DO NOT DISTURB sign on the door, what does that mean to you? I told him that I was not interested in getting the TV fixed now and closed the door.

This is a really big deal to me because the technician did not respect my request for privacy. Now this could have been handled differently by the technician or by training by the hotel. When the technician arrived at the door and saw the DO NOT DISTURB sign on the door, he should have called the operator who dispatched him. The operator would have told him that I specifically asked not to be disturbed after 9:30 or asked if she call my room. The operator could have told me the technician is outside my door and did I still require service? I might have said yes if it was handled that way. Unfortunately, the technician kept knocking at my door until I had to get out of bed and tell him no.

Since I was up, I decided to write a not too nice email to Marriott corporate. They responded with an apology and said a manager would contact me in the morning. In the morning, a front desk clerk called me with an apology, not a manager. That did not go over very well with me. A manager, the General Manager of the property, did contact me via email the following afternoon.

The General Manager did state that they will be going through a renovation next year. If a traveler wants to stay here, you may want to wait until the renovation is complete. This property should retire worn out furniture NOW, instead of waiting until next year.

As you can see, not a very good experience. I will be returning to Bakersfield later this month. I can assure you that I will be staying at a different hotel. Stay tuned for that review.

Room Tip: In my opinion, stay at a different hotel
California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2013

This complex is 9 stories high with a restaurant downstairs. Upon first arrival you entrance is the back door, parking and check-in is located on the other side which is just a couple steps away. Our reservation was screwed up and the front desk girl wasn't able to help us in a rude condensing way. We did have a room for one night as oppose to what our confirmation e-mail says for 2 nights. Hotel rooms were clean, but furniture and bed was hard and uncomfortable to sit or sleep. Bathroom is typical of these hotels, bathtub is if are not careful you can slip in it while taking a shower. Still see grime in the shower which makes me take a hot shower even though it hot outside. Room Service was probably the best thing about this hotel.

Room Tip: No pets allowed. Located next to convention, courthouse, downtown.