“Pleasantly surprised.”

Ranked #14 of 62 Hotels in Bakersfield
San Francisco, California
“Pleasantly surprised.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2014

We stayed here on a Thanksgiving weekend while visiting family in town. Not really expecting much, but we were pleasantly surprised. Great friendly service, really modern and clean rooms, beds were great.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Hungarian first
Jakarta, Indonesia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2014

We were on transit from san francisco to las vegas at this bakersfield
The hotel is average
The city I was felt is not too safe city
We were in the parking area of the shops some local approached us and asked for money
We were told by the hotel reception not to go to certain area in the city as a bit danger

Is good for transit

• Stayed January 2014
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2014

I stayed here one night when in town on a business trip. I can't say there is anything special about it, but it was clean, comfortable, and served my purposes. Pretty much a standard, basic Marriott. I think there were some other similar hotels near the interstate, but this seemed to be the best option if you want to be in downtown Bakersfield near the convention center, etc. The staff was friendly, parking was free, and I didn't have any problems staying here. The dining options seemed pretty limited in the area (I had to drive back to the interstate area because everything the immediate area downtown was closed), but that wasn't a big deal. If I needed to be in downtown Bakersfield, I would stay here again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Marriott_BFL, General Manager at Bakersfield Marriott at the Convention Center, responded to this review, 21 February 2014
Thank you so much for your review! We really appreciate your feedback on our hotel and staff service. Our team here strives to provide consistent and excellent service to our valued guests, and I am happy to hear that is exactly what you experienced! Thank you so much for taking the time to tell everyone about your experience at the Bakersfield Marriott! We look forward to your return!
Ocala, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2013

Business trip to Bakersfield CA with a two night stay at this hotel. Pleasant surprise with the lobby, guuest area and restaurant.

Rooms were price about right and were clean and large but has a very small bathroom. Connection to the internet was free and speedy. Went to the 9th floor for drinks and a quick bite but should have just stayed in the lobby. A little cheesy...no pun intended.

People were VERY nice and informative of the local restaurants.

The hotel restaurant was good...not a five start but good. Had the Halibut which was very tasty and cooked to perfection. WIne I ordered was out so they gave me a better wine for the same price. Breakfast buffet was...well...a breakfast buffet...like all the rest. Good food and service.

Room Tip: There is a rail yard on the back side of the hotel about 1/4 mile away. There is a little noise so...
Lexington, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2013

Excellent choice .... The Beds are very Comfortable, The Rooms were Very Clean, Bathrooms clean, Staff very Helpful and Friendly, And the Location was Excellent !My Opinion is that You Can't ask for anything Better !

Orange County
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2013

What, you say? Briefly, I was scheduled to stay in the Marriott near the Greenville/Spartenburg Airport (SC) and forgot to cancel in time in order not to be charged (very long story). In answering their post stay (of which I didn't) survey, I noted my oops and told them I look forward to staying with them next time I visit the Palmetto State. I did not ask for a refund because the mistake was mine. Within 24 hours, I received a very professional note from the local manager informing me that my charges were cancelled and that they look forward to me coming there in the future. It is very nice to know that someone understands basic business development.

I sought to repay this type of professional hospitality by staying at the Bakersfield Marriott while in town on business. Simply put, most other establishments could take a lesson on how to treat and attend to their guests from the Bakersfiled Marriott. Without a doubt, this was one of the most professional and attentive staff that I have experienced. It actually appeared as if they really enjoyed coming to work and interacting with their guests. This is particularly notable when most the guests are staying for business reasons and are not looking for a resort experience - they just don't want one more thing to worry about. And the Bakersfield Marriott delivers.

The hotel was comfortable and very well located. The room, including the bathroom, was very clean and spacious. I ordered room service and was rewarded with a very good meal and prompt service. My only concern was that the air conditioning fan was quite loud and I had to play with the control to find that temperature sweet spot so as not to engage the fan too often. Other than that, a very good place to stay - which I will the next time business calls me to Bakersfield.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Midwest
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

The staff here was exceptionally friendly. Always professional and courteous. The room i had was dated and showed heavy use. It was also a bit dirty. There was a wad of hair inside the toilet when I checked in, and hair in the tub. A coworker staying in a lower floor had a large bug in her room and was promptly moved by the accommodating staff. The water temperature in the shower was extreme hot or cold, possibly cause by a loose fixture? There was an issue with points posting to Marriott rewards account, I called when I returned home and they assured me it would be taken care of, two weeks later I'm still waiting. Overall the service didn't do enough to make up for the subpar rooms.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank hobbes_and_me
Marriott_BFL, General Manager at Bakersfield Marriott at the Convention Center, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
Thank you for your post and candid feedback. While I am happy to learn our staff was courteous and went the extra mile to be helpful, I am sorry you experienced challenges with the cleanliness of the room. You can be certain that I will have our Housekeeping and engineering team take a look to ensure they are in proper working order. As well, I have already asked that our engineering and housekeeping teams conduct room inspections to insure the state of the furniture is up to Marriott standards as we prepare to replace any damaged or worn furniture. Thank you for letting us know. It is through your valuable feedback that we can continue to improve. I do hope that you will give us the opportunity to change the impression you have of the Bakersfield Marriott.