“Very Pleased With Our Stay”

Bakersfield Marriott at the Convention Center
Ranked #13 of 62 Hotels in Bakersfield
La Jolla, California
“Very Pleased With Our Stay”
Reviewed 28 May 2009

I was so excited to hear that my hometown of Bakersfield has a Marriott. It opened for business 10/31/08. I was in town for a graduation with my senior parents and kids, and this ended up being the perfect hotel for us.

Check-in was easy and we were given exactly what we wanted (adjoining rooms). We had a nice view of downtown from the sixth floor. The king room had a sofa sleeper, which made for a comfy seating area, and the flat screen TV swivled, which was convenient. The bed was very comfy with all white duvey, and sheets. The bathroom was pretty standard but had nice bath products from "Bath and Body Works". Parking is easy and free.

We swam in the pool and jacuzzi, which was fine. The workout room looked great, and was empty whenever I passed.

The location could be a plus or minus. It is perfect if you are attending and event at Rabobank arena, the McMurtrey Aquatic Center, or want to be near the train station. It is in downtown Bakersfield, but downtown is a pretty dead area of town, aside from the court buidings and city hall. That said, there are some good, hometown restaurants nearby, and the location makes it pretty central (we went to lunch in the southwest part of town and the graduation ceremony in the northeast).

I would easily return to this hotel, as it was very comfortable, and quite full-service, particularly for Bakersfield.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank solomentehawaii

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Hungarian first
Oceanside, CA
Reviewed 18 April 2009

I stayed here with a friend last April when it was the Holiday Inn Select. We were here for a sorority function and made late reservations, so we could only stay at the Best Western for Saturday night. So we booked a room here for Friday night. I was expecting the Holiday Inn of my business travel days in the early 80's. The building was big and looked fairly modern. It was a nice stay and I remember that the service was friendly and welcoming, but the hotel was being remodeled and was pretty torn apart. The public areas were full of promise, but a bit dingy and dusty from construction. So this year when we had another sorority function, my 'sisters' up there proudly suggested that we stay in 'their' brand new Marriott at the Convention Center. I made the reservations for Friday and Saturday and ~ I'll be darned ~ It was the old HI Select! What a kick to see what the complete renovation did to this place. Wow! What a difference! It is gorgeous. The sparkling glass topped entrance, to the exquisitly appointed decor ~ It made quite a first impression. The carpets are luxurious and the surface materials and furnishings were inspiring ~ literally! We are planning a remodel on our home and I got lots of ideas here! After we were checked in by a very friendly gal, and had given our luggage to the bellman, I wandered around and just had fun looking at everything. Afterwards, My husband and I (who came with me this time) met for a drink at the very stylish and huge bar area. Last year it was dark and dank and closed!! My husband travels a lot for business and usually stays in Hyatts, and Hiltons. Even he was impressed with this one.

Our room was even more comfortable than before and everthing just gleamed. The warm serene color scheme and the pillow combination was perfect for relaxation. Last time the movie selection didn't work, but this time we enjoyed an early morning movie in bed on the big flat screen T.V. before we got up and got going. We had dinner there on Friday and I had several choices of healthy and beautifully prepared entres. We even tried their room service and was promised our brownie with two scoops of ice cream in a half hour. It came in 15 minutes! Saturday night was our party at the Buck Owens' Crystal Palace. What a fun night for a group. We had a bout 60 in our group and the house band really kicked! I understand that there are great shows at the Convention Center, too, which is connected with the Marriott. We're now on the mailing list and will return to Bakersfield for some concerts and a great stay afterward ~ just steps away!

Last April the pool was closed and the temperature was 85 degrees. This April it was clean, inviting and had plenty of relaxing lounge accomodations. I'm a swimminer and loved the 'lap swimming' Saturday morning. I had to choose between the pool and the exercise room, as we ran out of time, but the exercise room is awesome! Next time...

It will surely be fun to come back and explore all of the amenities the next time we go up to Bakersfield. It's a long drive for us, so to have a great place to spread out when we get there is key. (I hear we just missed Moody Blues at the Convention Center...) We will definately be staying in this lovely hotel again.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles
Reviewed 16 April 2009

Earlier this month I drove up from L.A. to visit an old college friend I hadn't seen in awhile who had recently relocated to Bakersfield. As he was in the process of moving into a new apartment, I decided to stay at a this hotel which was very close to his new residence. I have stayed at Marriot's before and have been consistently satisfied with the quality of the stay for a very reasonable price. This hotel was no different. I spent most of my time with my friend so I am not able to fully rate the hotel's services, however the front desk staff were extremely pleasant and even made a tee time for me at a local golf course that they recommended.

Overall I am extremely satisfied with my stay at this Marriot and would recommend it for anyone needing a quality and affordable hotel in Bakersfield.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank hendershot024
San Diego
Reviewed 15 April 2009

What a great hotel! I always assume that a stay in a Marriott property will be pleasant, but this hotel far exceeded my expectations. It has been recently renovated and it feels new. They made beautiful choices of materials and decor. The beds are really quite comfortable and the restaurant and lounge are inviting. The staff I met were all very gracious and helpful. When I need to go to Bakersfield again, I will definitely be looking forward to another stay at the Marriott.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank dawnmurphy
San Diego, CA
Reviewed 9 April 2009

What we were told and what we received were totally opposite. We booked a room on the Consierge Level for a higher price, which included snacks and soft drinks on our 9th floor stay (we requested a lower level room, but we were not informed that the only Consierge rooms were on the 9th floor. This was a HUGE impact because our elderly grandmother is claustrophobic). We arrived at 11:30 am on a Saturday (because the hotel offers early check in), to find out that the room was not ready, payment was not accepted and the Consierge Lounge is closed all day Saturday and only open Sunday night at 5:00 p.m. We were not allowed to use our military, senior, or AAA discount, although we had booked the room online a few weeks ahead of time. Our room was being paid for by a friend, which took additional time and paperwork, including a dispute over the fax that was sent numerous times to a locked fax room. This situation took the entire stay to correct, including arguing with the front desk staff, who stated that nothing was faxed or received by the payee. I explained that the fax had been sent numerous times, in addition to speaking to the payee. Finally, the front desk staff sent "Carlos" into the fax room and the entire fax was sitting on the fax machine. The bill was completely billed to one credit card upon arrival and then not reversed to the correct credit card (which was the card the room was reserved under) until the following day, which resulted in application of the bill to different billing cycles with the credit card. There was no consierge service on Saturday night when we were looking for a restaurant, so we ate at the hotel. Our restaurant food was great, but our service was interrupted numerous times due to a private event going on in another room. Finally, after we settled down for a good night's sleep (on awesome, comfortable beds with great feather pillows), the train kept us up with it's horn.

Needless to say, we will not stay here the next two weekends, when we need a hotel in Bakersfield. When I made this comment to the front desk personnel, she continued to defend herself and offered no customer service. We are going to the Doubletree next weekend.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 April 2009

Very nice hotel. Clean, well-appointed rooms. Very friendly front desk. Free parking. Free internet in lobby for those not carrying their own laptops. Next door to Rabobank Center.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank cl1811
St. Barthelemy
Reviewed 18 February 2009

The hotel was perfect for a one night stay while traveling from Sacramento to LA. The rates were down to $98 per night for a class 4 Marriott. After driving around Bakersfield and observing the depressed economy, I know understand the price. We were one of maybe 3-4 guest in the entire hotel. The streets of Bakersfield were like a ghost town.
The rooms were large, clean and the staff was bored. In all my world travels, I have never seen such a depressed hotel next to a convention center. Would highly recommend staying at this Marriott.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with family