“A quick stop-over”

Ranked #18 of 63 Hotels in Bakersfield
Anaheim, California
“A quick stop-over”
Reviewed 3 April 2014

Hubby and I were in town to visit relatives and needed a place for one night. Even though we checked in quite late, Matt at the Front Desk was such a pleasure. He took the time to find us a room to our liking. Bed was comfy, climate in room was very comfortable. The next morning, we got a look at the property on our way out. The pool area and grounds were very nice.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 31 March 2014

It was my first time to Bakersfield, so I don't have much to compare with. However, the hotel was very sweet and really inexpensive (less than $60, I believe):

*A hot cookie when checking in
*Room big and new
*Nice hair dryer
*Very quiet

Also, my heater was not working and called reception and Ruben from engineering came and fixed it right away.

Overall, very satisfied with the hotel and the service. I will go there again.

1 Thank Aconcagua2013
Los Angeles
Reviewed 31 March 2014

3:00 checkin time means NOTHING at this hotel. An hour before check-in (2:00) the desk said the room was still being cleaned. But they could move us to another room far away from our travel group. That was an outright lie. During the weekend we found out that our travel group rooms were all over the hotel on 3 floors and on all sides of the hotel. We opted to stay with the room near our friends, so we believed. An hour later (3:00) the desk said they were still checking on the room, come back in 45 minutes. At about 3:45 they said someone was in the room, and the hotel doesn't know who it is. Go away and come back later. Over an hour later (5:15) they said the room was ready. No acknowledgment of over 3 hours sitting around waiting, being lied to. No accommodation - not even a free cup of coffee or a dessert. I asked for help with the bags, as I am a senior with osteoporosis and mobility issues. No. This hotel does not do that. You are on your own. They gave me the room keys at 5:15. Some of my traveling friends got their rooms even later than that. for a 3:00 checkin. When my room was finally ready, the front desk sent me outside the hotel on a long, arduous walk to the room, and they expected me to drag my own bags all the way. I went to where they showed me on the map, and it was an outside door that down a long ramp, dangerous to navigate with bags on wheels, and the door was locked. Eventually a passing hotel guest let me in. It turned out to be in the basement right in front of the laundry. My room was in the 200's. But the rooms around the laundry - where the desk people sent me -- were in the 100's. I wrassled my bags to an elevator and pressed 2. When I got out on 2 all rooms had numbers in the 300's. ???? Later numerous of my traveling pals were commenting on this, as everyone was lost. 200s rooms were on Floor 1, 3002 rooms on Floor 2, 400s rooms on Floor 3. Why? By now I was in pain and could not walk any farther. I sat down on the floor in the hallway and called the front desk on my cell phone/ The woman argued with me that I'm right outside my room. But I could plainly see the door numbers on several rooms and they were all in the 300s. I asked for Matt who I mentioned earlier in this review. I told him -- I need help! He sent someone - thank goodness. The fellow literally dragged my bags (instead of pulling them on the wheels) to the room, but we got there. My friend who is 80 got her keys a little before I did and I helped her get to her room, as they have no Bellhops or anyone to help you. We got to my friend's room (had to drive the car closer and schlep a ways). Her keys did not work. A housekeeping person came by and tried the keys, and said they were no good, and to call the desk and get new keys. Meanwhile, back at my room, I was the first of 3 roommates to arrive. All 3 of us were on the hotel roster, but the room was not set up for 3 to a room - they had 2 paper cups (for coffee) 2 glasses, 2 coffee little packets, and a few towels not enough for 3 people. I called the desk & asked nicely for more supplies, as there are 3 people in this room. The young woman who answered was very snippy and unpleasant - She said Oh we never set up the room for 3 people. We just wait for people to call us and complain. They sent someone to the door with 1 more paper cup, 1 glass and a couple of towels. Wow, I sure did not feel welcome at all. There was one nice and helpful fellow on the desk called Matt, but all the women I spoke with were the B word from start to finish. And I was being polite to them. There was a loud motor going in the room wall. Too loud to sleep. The heat did not work, and heat was much needed because it was a cold, windy day in Bakersfield. The rug was absolutely filthy. The one ray of sunshine was that the sheets were nice. Wow, if you ever think of staying at this hotel, I recommend you give it a pass.

Room Tip: Stay away from this hotel.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Mermaid99
Bill M, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Bakersfield, responded to this review, 3 April 2014
Thank you for your review of your recent experience at our hotel. I am very sorry for the unacceptable level of service you encountered. We do our best to make sure all of our guests have a room easily accessible to them. We are always looking to improve our services for future guests. As a full service hotel, we do offer bell services through our Guest Service Agents and the Front Desk. I am disappointed that you were not assisted when you made the request for luggage assistance. I will be addressing this issue, and the other issues you mentioned with the appropriate staff. We value your business, and i truly hope that you will give us another chance the next time you're in Bakersfield.

Travellers are raving about these Bakersfield hotels

Madison, United States
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Staff went above and beyond to try to find me a rental car...the airport in Bakersfield was out and so was the rest of the city for that matter! I ended up waiting to to following day, but the did call a bunch of places for me and gave me a quick tour in the shuttle. I also had a very early flight out that ended up getting cancelled so they picked me up in the shuttle and checked me back in and let me sleep for a few more hours.

BAKERSFIELD, United States
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Great beds, okay rooms, make sure you stay away from the Hwy 99 side. Pool is great. Breakfast buffet is good. Rooms are large. Don't get a room next to the health club. Costco is across the street along with several decent restaurants. Hooters is down the street.

1 Thank Paul L
Bakersfield, United States
Reviewed 19 March 2014

On Saturday, March 15 we were told by the hotel clerk that walking back from a restaurant at night might not be safe, and to call the hotel for shuttle service from the restaurant when we needed a ride back to hotel. WE did so at 9:30 pm and they said no one was available to pick us up. After several calls to the hotel, they said the engineer would pick us up, and over an hour later, he arrived. Also, there was a group of children staying in the room above us, unescorted by adults that continued to run and jump on the floors uintil 4:30 am. I called the desk 3 different times beginning at 12:00 midnight to request security to quiet them.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends

1 Thank Jeffrey P
Bill M, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Bakersfield, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share feedback on your recent stay with us via TripAdvisor. I appreciate your honest input on our service. I would like to apologize for the transportation and noise issues you experienced during your stay. I have addressed these issues with the appropriate departments. We continually strive to improve our product and level of service, and we will use your comments as we continue to evolve our guests' experience moving forward. I sincerely hope you will give us another chance the next time you are in the area. The service you received is not typical, and we would like the opportunity to better demonstrate our commitment to your satisfaction.
Glendora, California
Reviewed 14 March 2014

It's a very nice facility, but on this trip my room was on the 4th floor, much closer to the stairs than the elevator. First you walk DOWN a short stairway, down the hall, then climb back to the level you started on, before dragging all my luggage and heavy photo equipment to the top floor. I gave the elevator a try on my way down, but it was so far away, it was easier to just use the stairs each time. Everything else about the place was great-the nice flat screen TV even had a HDTV source so the nice high-def TV didn't look like an old analog tuner stuck in a flat box; it was the first hotel room I've seen with HDTV. The bed was very comfy, and as always the cookie was good, if not warm like usually.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo