“Gets beaten up by heavy turnover. Otherwise OK”

Vagabond Inn Bakersfield North
Ranked #47 of 63 Hotels in Bakersfield
Reviewed 12 January 2009

Bargain travelers must be tolerant of economy lodging like this. It's near a busy freeway, with lots of room for truckers to park their rig. There are also many itinerant tradesman who stay at lodging like this because it's cheap and near their work. These are usually decent, respectful people but they are very hard on the rooms and the property and the thin profit margins don't allow for much in the redecorating budget. The operators try to keep up but it's a constant battle.

Don't stay here if you don't understand the clientele...you will be disappointed. If you can adapt your expectations and go with the flow, you'll be fine. My night was fairly quiet and the bed and bedding were good enough. The bathroom was sub par, but I got in and out fast. Unless you like donuts, skip the breakfast.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank curtismapman

Reviewed 3 August 2008

We booked this hotel only the day before arrival as we had to change ours plans because of the wild fires in California. When we arrived early for checkin the motel was already pretty full. We'd booked two rooms and one was ok. the other had burns in the comforter, the curtain hanging from the rail and was really small in comparisson to the other. when we queried the differences it was explained that the room was smaller because it had a bathroom fitted for disabled access - our advice is don't visit if you're disabled unless you want to be treated as inferior. After alot of debating with the front desk staff another room was found at an increased cost of about $20 but it was much nicer.
the pool was ok although the towels are in short supply and we had to ask 2-3 times before more were available and the tree close by drops lots of leaves into the pool so it does look a bit dirty. the breakfast is served from 2am (because they have a lot of truckers staying) but we didn't hear any noise from people leaving early which was good. there is internet in the lobby and the breakfast is served there too although we didn't partake as it didn't appear very appetising. we have stayed in other Vagabond Inns and this wouldn't put us off trying others in the chain but we wouldn't stay at this one again.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank TANYA66
Reviewed 13 March 2008

We checked in went to our room and immediately asked for our money back. The room was small and dirty. The door looked like it had been broken into. It smelled. AND you can hear the noisey freeway! I
t looked as if quite a few people live there. It was pretty bad. The manager did give us our money back and we went to the EconoLodge. It was much better and at least quiet.

• Stayed: February 2008
1  Thank ennaejb
Reviewed 18 February 2008

We needed a place to crash while trying to drive home. After trying to find a room at one of the several hotels in the area that we normally stay at, we tried the Vagabond Inn, North.

Staff was friendly, and price was right. Check in was quick. We were exhausted and needed to sleep.

If you need a place to sleep and shower and move on, then this is the place. If you need 5 star ratings and new everything then this is not the place for you.

It worked fine for us, and I would stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 September 2007

My wife and me stayed here in July. We were on a Road Trip crossing USA.
We've seen a lot of Motels on the way and this was a good one!

Price came cheap...paid 38$ incl. Tax (we had a coupon). For this money we got a good deal. The rooms were clean and non-smoking. There were some food options very close to the motel (a buffet place, Milt's coffee shop, Starbucks...and some more).

Room came with TV, microwave and a fridge. The whole setup of the motel was nice...even the pool area looked good. But was too full, so we didn't jump in. Service at the Front desk was not extremely extra-friendly, but basic and ok. That's all I need.

The area felt safe, close to the Highway, but not noisy. Of course, there were a lot of people in the Motel; it was pretty much booked out that night. So it was busy, but nobody looked suspicious. We had a good sleep here and felt very safe.

For this price it's a great value. If you have to stay a night or two, this place is great to spend the night.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bandit-One
Reviewed 27 August 2007

I was staying with a friend and our daughters. the hotel was not clean, we left our shoes on just to go to the otherside of the room otherwise our feet would be black with dirt. I needed a fridge so I thought 'great, each room has one', it was warm an ice chest would have been just as good if not better. we decided to let the girls go for a swim....MISTAKE, the men that room there came out and started yelling and making comments to my friends 13yr. old daughter SHE is jail bait guys. we were very nervous to leave our room once we locked the doors...that you had to force shut. the bathtub would plug up so you were in 6 inches of water while taking a shower. I actually went to the store to buy lysol to spray the whole room, sheets and all. The A/C worked very well and the waffle machine in lobby was cool, OJ was great. If you are a working man that doesn't care about dirt or the freeway noise, then this is your place to stay.

• Stayed: August 2007
1  Thank CalifAndi
Reviewed 21 March 2007

I booked a night at Vagabond Inn North for Mar. 12th because they advertised "heated pool...year round". I have arthritis and need daily exercise, so a heated pool was important for me. When I arrived, I paid about $5 extra to be located near the pool. When I tried to use the pool, I found it was ice cold. When I complained to the manager about their deceptive advertising, he was evasive and unapologetic. He said "it was not the season to heat the pool". He made no attempt to resolve the problem. If not heated year-round, why advertise it? If not heated, why charge me $5 more to be located near it? These people cannot be trusted!

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank gnolta
VagabondInns, Hotel Manager at Vagabond Inn Bakersfield North, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2007

We sincerely apologize for this situation, and we have made all the necessary changes to our website to be sure this does not happen again.