“Unique”
Review of Blue Bay Divers

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bangka Island
Blue Bay Divers
Baden, Switzerland
“Unique”
Reviewed 2 May 2014

The resort is beautifully situated in a quiet bay. you live like a big family on Sahaung island, which is also ideal for traveling alone. The staff are very friendly so that you will feel right at home. Even the food is exquisite indonesian! I'll definitely be back in this paradise!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Indonesian first
Seattle
Reviewed 27 April 2014

I commented last year on our trip to Blue Bay and the Halmahera cruise on KLM Sunshine and must say all is still fantastic.
As an addendum, this year we visited some new areas in Halmahera. This just confirmed our previous impression on how wonderful this area is. Seeing sharks has become a rare event in many areas so I was surprised at the numbers. They were a regular occurrence on many dives and we saw at least four species of requiem sharks plus Epaulette and Bamboo sharks. The Manta Ray dive was great fun.
At one location, while getting on the tender on the way to the dive site, Salmon said that there would be 40 Bumphead Parrotfish, I of course thought he was joking. The drop off point was close to a wall dropping from the main island and a pinnacle separated by 100 meters forming a cleft between that dropped to about 20 meters. Upon entering and beginning our descent, like clockwork, a school of huge Bumpheads funneled through the cleft as we dropped in on the parade. They soon slowly reversed the march and headed back but more separate groups remained through the dive. There were many more than Salmon’s prediction.
We had wonderful companions throughout this trip and as always the crew of Sunshine was great. After 12 days on Sunshine, back at Blue Bay we spent the remainder of our trip diving familiar sites but always seeing new things. Japs was fantastic in finding wonderful things and also a delight and fun to be with. We were all trying to conjure up a Dugong and my wife Mary was able to enjoy the good fortune of having an adult slowly swim past within arm’s length. I am sure she would not have been believed except Japs was right beside her.
When we arrived in Manado we travelled to Blue Bay with a couple who had chosen Blue Bay from the internet. I was curious to see their reaction as we entered the bay and they got the first glimpse of their home for three weeks. It was clear from their reaction that the sight had the same impact it did with me eight years ago. It still elicits the same feelings today.
We both already miss Blue Bay and our friends. Thanks you Anke and Samon.
April, 2014
Greg and Mary,
Seattle, USA

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Greg M
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Blue Bay Divers is located on the small island of Sahaung just next to Bangka. You can reach it easily from Manado airport where the staff will pick you up (about 1.5 hour by car + 20min boat ride).

The beach in Blue Bay is amazing and the view from bungalows over the bay is breathtaking. The staff is very friendly and you feel warmly welcomed from the first moment you step on the island.
The resort is well managed and they have really given a thought for also the small things that are often overlooked, but which in the end make a big difference. Food was excellent and the restaurant is tidy and comfortable. Bungalows are traditional style and very comfortable and clean. They don't have running water which I actually found very good - they save the precious fresh water and people use only what they need. Bathrooms have big freshwater tanks and if you go for afternoon or night dive there is bucket of hot water waiting for you in your bathroom. Small but big things - they really care for their guests.

Diving in Bangka area was a very big positive surprise. I've been diving in Bunaken and Lembeh area a lot during the last 5 years and this was my first time to Bangka. There are so many good dive sites, whether you are into muck and coral diving, they've got it all. So many nudibranches, flatworms, pygmy seahorses, crabs, shrimps... all that macro enthusiasts can wish for! I saw many things that I haven't seen neither in Bunaken nor Lembeh. And it's not just the small stuff, Bangka is good for big stuff as well - if you are lucky you may even see a dugong. We saw some huge bumphead parrotfish, really impressive experience. The guides were also excellent in spotting all the small creatures, one of the best I've had in Indonesia.

Also it's worth to mention that if you are coming to North Sulawesi for the first time and interested in diving also in Bunaken and/or Lembeh, they organize day trips (you just have your lunch on the boat) to both places which is very convenient. And the diving boats are one of the best I've seen, spacious, tidy and well-suited for diving.

So thank you Anke, Salmon and the rest of Blue Bay staff for making our stay memorable, I will definitely go back to Blue Bay again!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Mechelen, Belgium
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Being my first trip to Sahaung island, I discovered a gem.
I left today and I already miss this place.
When you are looking for peace and quiet in a very pure, natural environment this is really something for you. The island is easy reachable, but then again, away from today's rat race.
I had multiple occasions I felt like I was alone on a pristine island, in my opinion that is something that is priceless an should be cherished.

The island is very idillic with nice bungalows, white beaches and palm trees. The bungalows are tidy, very nice traditional style buildings. The are well maintained and kept clean.
It is not for five star luxury seekers, the showers are cold fresh water. In the evening you get a bucket of hot water to provide you a hot shower. The toilet is western style but needs to be flushed with a small bucket. This works nicely.
The management choose to do this way, to keep extra rubbish from being flushed in the sea.... And if all is right , the sea is why you are there.
Electricity is available most of the time and it is perfect to recharge camera batteries, but is of between 12 pm and 6 am. This to have absolutely no noise from the generators, although I never heard the generators at all.

The food is Indonesian style buffet form, spiced down for non Indonesians. I liked the food a lot. I have stayed in comparable resorts in Indonesia and the food of Blue Bay one of the best until now.
Water and soft drinks are included, beer and wine is additional at reasonable prices.
The dining area is spacious, with a nice breeze in the evening. Since this resort caters for only very few people, the dining has a really nice atmosphere.

The diving is top notch.
It is a mix of muck and coral you can find on the more 'beaten track' in Lembeh and Bunaken.
All though Bangka is less know, I saw critters there, I didn't see on a 14 days stay in Lembeh.
The dives are very well organised, as well on the boat as during the guides diving.
The guides are amazing in finding critters and the boatman are very helpful in getting geared on and always have a snack or drink ready during the surface interval which is done on the boat.
Night dives are very good, with equally professional guidance.

What I found the most remarkable, is that each and every staff member knew my name since day one, and they never failed on remembering it.
These people care, and do their work with a big heart beyond belief.
Together with the island, they are the true gems that make this island shine.

The management Anke and Salmon, run the resort in a super professional way, but then again respect the laid back pulse stroke this place has, they do a hell of a job.

Conclusion :
Five star seekers and party animals don't go.
Everybody looking for a location with tons if charm, true nature, true silence, an authentic Indonesian vibe, delicious food and people around you who really care : don' t hesitate.
You won't believe places like this still exist today... I wish there where more.

To Anke, Salmon and every single member of the staff, a big big thank you.
I will never forget last week, it will be something to look back on while in the rat race again.
Keep up the good work, and do never change.... It is perfect the way it is.

Peter

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Peter V
St Andrews, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 April 2014

I spent 3 nights at Blue Bay Divers in March 2014 and loved every minute and was so sad to leave. I've not come across anywhere as lovely as this in many many diving and beach holidays. The bungalows are all on the right on a perfect wide-sand beach and are widely-spaced. There are not air-conditioned but there is a fan and large windows on two sides for breeze. The diving was amazing (i love the small stuff) and there was both coral and mud diving and what i didn't realize is that you can also dive Lembeh Strait from this base. The guides were fantastic and found even the tiniest of beasts, like pygmie sea-horses and puffer fish about 1 /2 cm from snout to tail tip! What really makes this place special is the staff. From the dive guides to the boat crew to the kitchen and housekeeping staff they were all so warm and welcoming and, more importantly, a great laugh and a great band. They play for an hour or so every night which must be why they are so good...wish i'd had better means of recording than just my iphone voice memo app but at least i still get to hear them now that i'm back in the cold and grey! oh, and the food was good too.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Birgit W
Manado, Indonesia
Reviewed 2 April 2014

We had 5 wonderful days on Sahaung island. The diving was excellent with really good dive guides (daytime as well as night time) who can show you a lot of great stuff under water!

The sunsets are amazing (almost toooo cheesy :D).

The best thing is the pink bucket with HOT water after diving.

I loved the pankcakes and cornflakes for breakfast time.

The crew and Blue Bay Band is a great folk as well.

Everything is really really clean in the area.

The village on Bangka Island can be reached by boat and is really worth to visit.

And next to Bunaken (where no real beach can be found), the beach on Sahaung is a little paradise by itself. And it's just in front of the bungalows. The owners Anke and Salmon really found a small paradise for their resort. I really enjoyed my stay here :)

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 17 December 2013

We stayed three nights at this resort on its own small island. After a few nights in Bunaken and a few in Lembeh, this resort was definitely the nicest in terms of location, and comparable in terms of comfort. Bunaken and Lembeh do not really have real beaches to relax, but this resort is set in a sheltered bay with a beach right outside the cottages.

Diving was a mix between what you see in Bunaken and Lembeh, i.e. some critters but also lots of coral, no wall dives however.

Would highly recommend, even if not into diving this is a nice place to stay.

Dave and Dini

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bangka Island
Gangga Island Resort & Spa
Onong Resort
Onong Resort
#3 of 46 in Manado
DABIRAHE Dive, Spa and Leisure Resort (Lembeh)
Bunaken Cha Cha Nature Resort
Bunaken Cha Cha Nature Resort
#4 of 15 in Bunaken Island
Siladen Resort & Spa
Siladen Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Siladen Island
Bunaken Divers - Sea Breeze Dive Resort

Been to Blue Bay Divers? Share your experiences!