“Fresh local produce” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Whitehouse
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Lochaline
Price range: US$12 - US$75
Cuisines: British, Scottish, Seafood
Good for: Child-friendly, View, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Whitehouse Restaurant in Lochaline makes the most of the West Coast larder on our doorstep. Lochaline langoustines and Sound of Mull dived scallops and crab are regulars, as are Seared Morvern stag's liver, heart and kidney with Tobermory whisky, lamb, mutton, beef and pork from local farmers. Our garden grows most of the herbs, salads and vegetables on the menu. Highland delicacies are foraged from hill and shore. We love celebrating Scottish food and drink - our fabulous local harvest served in a relaxed, informal atmosphere. The Lochaber environment is among the richest in Scotland. Our food puts it on your plate.
Viareggio, Italy
“Fresh local produce”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014

A small but very good restaurant. The food is of eccellent quality and the service is great. Local seafood, meat and venison, fresh home grown veg garantee a really good meal! The atmosphere is intimate even if the dining space is small it has been well thought out. Really Worth a dinner!

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Linda L

Lincoln, United Kingdom
“The Highlight of our holiday on Mull”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

For the last two years in May we have taken the ferry across from Fishnish on Mull to Lochaline for lunch at The Whitehouse, and it has been the highlight of our holiday. The food has each time absolutely delicious, freshly prepared, and very memorable. We are looking forward to returning next week. Highly recommended.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank CodicoteLavender
Brighton, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Sailors' paradise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

We sailed from Dunbeg to Lochaline and moored there the night specifically so we could visit the White House. It was amazing; the setting is stunning and the food is out of this world - think Local Hero meets Noma. I had the snout to tush black pudding which was extraordinarily good. We were made to feel extremely welcome. Everything as local as you can get. We'll be back, no doubt.

1 Thank Paul B
Strathaven, United Kingdom
“stuns all of the senses”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

I visited the Whitehouse from Mull via a short ferry trip (15 minutes). Every dish was superb, with an interesting variety of choices, mouth-watering flavours, and appetising presentation. The setting is beautiful, the restaurant snug, and the staff are friendly and welcoming. I will go out of my way to return, and would recommend the Whitehouse most warmly.

Lewes, United Kingdom
“The best in the west”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

Eating in this resturant is like nibbling in heaven. I live in and out of London and I am lucky to dine out pretty often, but rarely do my eyeballs goggle and my salivory glands gush as they did when I dined at this fabulous little restaurant. I ate a foie gras, pork hock terrine, that was so delicious, my enzymes had a revolution, and then it was followed by hake and lemon sole combo, yum! although I stared enviouslyand longingly at my neighbour's cullen skin and the "nose to toosh" lamb cutlets and related bits and bobs. I can't remember what was for pudding but suffice to say, it floated down my gizzard on angel wings. This restaurant is simply the bees knees. Single-handedly it has slain the myth that the West Coast is a cultural cookign desert. If this resturant is anywhere else, it would be packed to the gunnels with Hollywood A listers guzzling. It's amazingly cheap too - £50 a head with kelp beer and wine included. Give them a michelin star!

3 Thank Dan R