“Fourth of July Stay, Chalet Failed to Shine”
Review of The Pines Resort

The Pines Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bass Lake
Reviewed 6 July 2014

When our family members suggested we go with them to Bass Lake on their boat for the Fourth of July we were excited to book a chalet at Bass Lake. We were less excited to pay $300 a night. At check-in we asked for a chalet near our family members, but were told we could not be accommodated. We understood because they were busy and fully booked.

The Chalet: We had a King Chalet up at the top of the incline. The window and back porch looked off into a very nice forest view, was peaceful and absolutely delightful. However, for me, that's where the joys end. The entire Chalet looked "rustic," also known as rundown, shabby, and a little dirty. The beds were old, and really really soft. The sheets were really rough, this was more apparent from my sunburn (clearly not the The Pines fault). The bathroom was just gross. There were spiders in the bathroom, mold on and in the shower controls, and dirty tiles. My fiance was fine with it-- he really bought into the rustic-ness of it all. For me, at 300 dollars a night this was all unacceptable.

I've read through the reviews, and see that the Bass Lake managers are inclined to respond to reviews, this shows that they care about what people think of their experiences. However, after someone pays $600+ for a two night stay, an apology that you weren't put in a renovated room seems a bit disingenuous and unfair. Perhaps a different rate for the rooms that are not renovated would be more fair for guests who are clearly getting a different experience.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Elicia S
Charity B, Manager at The Pines Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for choosing to spend your Forth of July vacation with us here at the Pines Resort! We are sorry to hear that our room accommodations did not meet your expectations, but would like you to know that we do appreciate your suggestions and we are continuously working on upgrading our chalets to better accommodate our guests. I hope you will visit us again soon and give us another chance to show you these improvements!

Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

My husband and I drove with our puppy from tucson to the pines and we had so much anticipation that was shot down as soon as we entered our room. For the price I was not expecting a 1970s style shack. Though it was right on the lake and little stores, we actually ended up checking out early to continue our road trip because the bed sucked so bad. If we stay again it'll be at the other hotel right on the lake that looked more updated.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank amyjean1686
Charity B, Manager at The Pines Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay with us. We pride ourselves on taking care of every guest and when we fall short we are very disappointed. I can tell you we are replacing beds as we speak in the chalets, but we hope you give us another chance by booking a suite at Duceys on the Lake. Again, thank you and we look forward to seeing you in the future!

Reviewed 1 July 2014

This is the perfect place to bring family and friends, having mountains and waters, lake.
This is my favorite place to show real America whenever my family and friends from other States and Overseas visit me in L.A. I like Yosemite but the Pines Resort makes our trip to Yosemite more memorable and happier because of its comfortable, clean, and convenient. I can feel that I am in the middle of Yosemite at the hotel with fresh air and lake. I can enjoy swimming after visiting mountain. The food of the restaurant was not only good but also reasonable prices...

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank 기남 최

Dear Guest,
We are so happy to be apart of your families wonderful memories! We appreciate the wonderful review and are delighted to pass on these comments to our wonderful restaurant and housekeeping staff! Please come back and visit us again for another fun family vacation!

Reviewed 30 June 2014

My husband and I really enjoyed my stay here. The beds were comfortable and we got a great night's sleep. The linens and towels were very clean as well as the bathroom. The restaurant has good food and the wait staff was friendly. I would definitely come back here again!

Dear Guest,
Thank you for the wonderful review and compliments! We are very happy to hear that you and your husband enjoyed your stay and were able to experience our wonderful restaurants and waiting staff. Please come again soon to enjoy another relaxing stay with us!

Reviewed 30 June 2014

We recently stayed two nights at The Pines. What a surprise when we were sent our 'room' which turned out to be 1/2 of a cabin. So quaint and charming - nicely appointed, and clean - with a deck and picnic table outside. This was our 'home base' while touring Yosemite Park. The store on the property sells all sorts of 'treasures'. I found a Gund Bear for my grand-daughter at a great price, and a metal garden frog to add to my collection. The small grocery store has everything you could possibly want. The bar was also a pleasant surprise - and the bartender was friendly and very capable. We ate at Ducey's Grill on the property which was very good with very large portions served.

Dear Guest,
Thank you for the wonderful review! We are so happy that you and your family enjoyed our resort and restaurants. It is always fun when you can find little treasures to take home with you to remind you of your stay with us. I will be sure to pass along the wonderful compliments to our staff! Please come and visit us again soon!

Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

Maybe the fact I had just driven up here after staying at the hollywood roosevelt for a week doesn't help with this but I was so disappointed with this resort! I knew I was coming to a rustic chalet but it really was so rustic. On the surface it was clean and you could smell the fresh bedding but coming from the uk we like fluffy duvets and here all there was was a thin sheet with a dirty never been washed blanket thing to keep you warm - not impressed! It was dusty and full of dead spiders and bugs, being an ocd clean freak I noticed everything & had to give the place a once over myself. No excuse not to clean nooks and crannys every couple of months this was years worth of it!
It was a nice place to stay apart from this issue, the tv was modern in the living area where we actually watched it but an old box one in the bedroom that didnt really work they may as well throw those away!
We didnt use the oven etc but realised early on after all our drinks & milk we had bought had frozen because someone had left the fridge on the wrong temperature!
The grounds were lovely - close to yosemite and fresno! Oakhurst was great it had everything we needed we found somewhere new each night to eat out didnt bother with Duceys!
Two major things I hated - the maid did not visit our room once in 7 days, not once! We were out morning till night every single day so there was no excuse, we didnt actually need items replenishing so it was fine but we paid more than the roosevelt I felt sick on the contrast in service!
Another thing was the boat hire, its all kids who work there, 20 year olds or so, some were great but some not so great! We hired a patio boat for the day $250, and we had to change boats 3 times during the day as the batteries kept failing! You are provided with a flag incase you break down but after half an hour noone came so I called the desk and after another 50 minutes someone finally came. Its a good job my uk phone worked in the us or we'd have been stuck there all day! The call cost me £18 too so Im very angry about that! Take note pines resort you need patrols on the lake for cases like that!! We wasted time and money!!! Even the stupid sheriff drove past and didnt stop, rude! I thought americans were big on customer service?!
Overall it was an alright stay, luckily we were out all day so only slept here, we wish we'd booked Tenaya Lodge in fish camp though I could kick myself for choosing the pines!
Oh well lesson learnt!

• Stayed: June 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for your candid feedback regarding your stay with us. We pride ourselves on taking care of every guest and when we fall short, we are very disappointed. We will continue to work with our Housekeeping team on the overall cleanliness of our chalets as well as giving more frequent service. We are continuing to make improvements to our Chalets with new carpet and, yes, we are replacing/upgrading all of televisions and hope to have this completed soon. I will speak with the boat rental company as we do not operate that business but we work very closely together and I am sure they will want the feedback from your experience.

Again, thank you for your comments and we hope you can give us another chance to show you we have fixed those challenges and to give you the experience you were looking for.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

good location, clean and beautiful place for couple or family.
We went Yosemite Park. We planed for one night at The Pine Resort at Bass Lake, but we end up stayed 2 night there. The sweet rooms are so comfortable and beautiful, with fire place and candles it was so romantic. ( we had to move from sweet to honeymoon sweet next night to stay another night).
I will go again stay longer next time.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Charity B, Manager at The Pines Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Dear guest,
Thank you for such a wonderful review! We are so happy to hear you had a wonderful time! We also enjoyed the beautiful pictures!! Please come and visit us again soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bass Lake
Tenaya Lodge at Yosemite
Homestead Cottages
Homestead Cottages
#1 of 4 in Ahwahnee

Been to The Pines Resort? Share your experiences!