“So much fun! Great Resort Setting”
Review of The Pines Resort

The Pines Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bass Lake
Cupertino, California
“So much fun! Great Resort Setting”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We stayed 2 nights in early August and our stay couldn't have been any better. We love the cabin style chalets which was great for our family of 4. Had great meals at their Ducey's restaurant. Friendly staff. Service was excellent from our check in process, to the restaurant, and check out. I would recommend this resort for families. We had a great time boating and jet skiing and it was very convenient since everything was at the resort. I can't wait until my next trip to Bass Lake!

Room Tip: Cabin style chalets are great for families since it has a separate living room area upstairs and wit...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Matthew K
mandy s, Manager at The Pines Resort, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for the wonderful review! We are so happy to hear that you and your family had a wonderful stay from start to finish! I will be passing this review on to all departments to let them know what a wonderful job they are doing! Please come back again soon for another fun getaway!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Kansas City
Reviewed 8 August 2014

My husband and I had the pleasure of staying at The Pines and loved our time in our chalet! The resort has multiple two-chalet cabins scattered in the trees, and we really felt like we were secluded in our own little cabin in the woods.

We had a king-size bed and full bath downstairs and a galley kitchen and sitting room upstairs; it was spacious (especially with the cathedral ceilings) and quite comfortable. The kitchen is fully equipped with fridge, stove, microwave and all kitchenware/utensils, so we were able to cook our own meals at our leisure. The market next to the resort registration is well-stocked for any of your needs, but of course at resort prices. The savvy traveler arriving from the south would be better suited to stop in Oakhurst at either of the two supermarkets there and stock up on provisions.

The swimming pool sits just off the beach and is very nice; it’s large enough to permit lane swimming, and indeed has lanes marked off on the tile. The resort has its own private beach, but with such a nice pool I never really used the beach. We didn't have the occasion to eat at the restaurant but heard good things about it from folks in Oakhurst. Hotel guests do get a 10% discount.

Two difficulties that we encountered were the spotty internet access (understandable in the woods) and the thin walls between our chalet and the next. All the cabins are constructed in a duplex fashion, so you do have neighbors; if you want complete solitude, your choices would be to rent both sides of a duplex (not a bad option, if you’re traveling with a large group) or rent the MacAlpine cabin, which sits by itself at the top of the property.

A final consideration is the basic fitness level required while staying here. Because the resort sits on the hillside, you are constantly walking down- or up-hill, and it’s a pretty good grade. You’re already above 2,000 feet, so the altitude may get to you.

Taking those three things into consideration, we still immensely enjoyed our stay at The Pines. It really did feel like our getaway in the woods, and was a refreshing counterpoint to the crowds and congestion at Yosemite. We recommend it to any able-bodied travelers who are in search of a little woodland solitude.

Room Tip: the suites are near the pool and restaurants; the chalets are a little further away.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Galeda
Dear Guest,
Thank you for the wonderful review! We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay here and left feeling refreshed! Please visit us again soon!
Bend, Or
Reviewed 6 August 2014

The pines resort has a beautiful location on bass lake in general. When my sister got married here it was during the winter and as they were doing the ceremony it began to snow. So beautiful! They had the reception in the cedar room and it still snowed though that. The staff was very friendly and helpful with all the needs of my sister, who is a bridezilla. She stayed in the honey room suite with a lake front and she did have her pictures taken there which came out amazing. We stayed in a 2 queen chalet and they were so cozy and comfy. It had a fireplace and updated TVs as well. The room had a full kitchen which came in handy the morning after the wedding. The restaurant did her rehearsal dinner and the food was to die for!!
I am completely jealous of my sister that she beat me to the alter but even more jealous that she had a dream wedding, other then being a bridezilla to all her family and her husband lol.
I highly recommend the pines resort for any type of vocation or event!

• Stayed January 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your wonderful review! We are so happy to hear that your sisters wedding turned out beautiful and even more happy that we were able to help create such a wonderful experience for her! Our goal is always to give each and every guest an experience they will never forget!! Please visit us again soon!
Uppsala, Sweden
Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

Visited Pines after a tour in Yosemite as was fantastic!!! When we arrived our travel agency had cancelled our stay by mistake but we got rooms anyway and the staff as was very friendly. We have a fine evening with the family, and eated pizza at our balcon in the flat/house. If we compare to other hotels in the area this was very poor standard but the same price. But on the other hand it was nice to stay at something a bit "different" Tham the ordinarie hotels. You can buy pizza and food in the store at the resort - recommmended. The pizzas was great with a lot of cheese :-)

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest,
Thank you for the kind review, we are very glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and were able to experience our resort and the near by pizza parlor! We were very sorry to hear about the confusion with your travel agent, but we are also happy to hear that our staff was kind and able to assist you in getting a room. Please come visit us again soon!
Santa Cruz, California
Reviewed 25 July 2014

The chalets are old and outdated but for me I'm not in my room but to shower and sleep. I love the chalets for their location-cant beat it next to lake and pool. They accommodate a lot of people or kids. Nice decks for bbq.. My family goes once a year and enjoy our stay on bass lake. Beats tent camping....

Room Tip: any of chalets are good
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
mandy s, Manager at The Pines Resort, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review! We are currently working daily on upgrading our rooms to better satisfy our guests. We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed our beautiful location and hope you will return again soon!
Reviewed 17 July 2014

This place seems tired, a bit worn out, like it once was a proud and bustling establishment but is no more. We stayed in one of the king bed chalets and did not use the dining facilities so we cannot comment on the food service. Everything seemed in sore need of an update, just to get to average. The air conditioner (in the upstairs only) barely functioned -- it kept the room uncomfortable instead of unbearable during the heat of the day. The kitchen utensils, dishes and silverware were the cheapest/poorest quality money could buy, flimsy and giving off a kind of yard sale vibe. There was nowhere to take garbage to once the can in the kitchen was filled; the staff said to hunt around the property for one of the dumpsters! Any place that wants to bill itself as a destination resort should not send patrons on garbage safaris. The lights in our unit kept going on and off on their own. We used the facility as a base for travel back and forth to Yosemite and it was good for that purpose. We were on our first extended family vacation for many years and traveled from northern Oregon to Nevada and stayed at four different locations for an extended period. This was by far the least comfortable and the least well maintained and up to date. We were not looking for modern 4 star hotel conditions (though functioning wi-fi would be nice in 2014) but I have to say that the advertising by the Pines misrepresents the level of luxury and quality, by quite a bit. Sadly, a real disappointment.

Room Tip: I am guessing that the lodge rooms are a good deal nicer than the "chalets'...they would ha...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank James W
mandy s, Manager at The Pines Resort, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Dear guest,
Thank you for your candid review. We pride ourselves on taking care of each guest and when we do not meet the standards we are very disappointed! We are continuously working with our housekeeping and maintenance team to better our resort. We hope that this stay will not detour you from giving our resort another chance and hope that you will come again so that you may experience our resort at its full potential and give you the experience you were looking for.

Travellers are raving about these Bass Lake hotels

Sacramento, California
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Room (4.5/5) Let me say first off this place really exceeded my expectations. The room was cozy, and the bed was clean and comfortable. All the facilities in the room were in great working condition, albeit a little antiquated, and they had all facilities you needed, from a big BBQ, to a strong air conditioner, to wifi. We had never been to the lake before, but as soon as we got to the resort all I could think was how nice it would be to have a room that looked over the lake; little did I know that the resort is built strategically on a hill so nearly all the rooms have a lake side view. It sure was nice to wake up and have a cup of coffee in the morning on the patio over-looking the sunrise on the lake.

Facilities and location (5/5) The facilities of the resort were amazing. We used the swimming pool at night time when it was lit up to do some laps and there were less people around. It was very serene for my fiancée and I to swim in the pool during the evening hours and take a nice relaxing dip in the spa for a short time thereafter. I really don’t like small pools and I am happy to report the pool was probably the half Olympic size, with plenty of room to do proper laps. They also had a couple of tennis courts, a basketball court, and a couple of playgrounds for the kids.

The lake water was a little low at the time when we went. I thought this would make for a really dirty swim, but the lake was actually quite peaceful. We never had a chance to rent a kayak or boat on the lake, but it didn’t seem too crowded for those that did. I think one of the best aspects about this lake is the fact that not too many people know about it, so there are not too many people nor too noisy.

Cost (4/5) The cost was a little outside of my usual budget for a one night with my family, but I just needed to make sure I could impress my fiancée’s parents and I would have to say, “Mission Accomplished” (cue flag drop)

Overall, I really enjoyed my experience at the Pines, and I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone. 4.5/5

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank bitterjack
Charity B, Manager at The Pines Resort, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Dear guest,
Thank you so much for the positive review! We always enjoy hearing that we could be apart of your family's enjoyable vacation and are happy to hear that your mission was accomplished! Please come and visit our resort again soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bass Lake
Chateau du Sureau
#1 of 9 in Oakhurst
Chukchansi Gold Resort & Casino
Americas Best Value Inn Yosemite-Oakhurst

Been to The Pines Resort? Share your experiences!