“nice place, need to be updated”
Review of The Pines Resort

The Pines Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bass Lake
Reviewed 29 August 2014

Fair hotel, with good sized rooms. Great location with a nice pool and easy access to the lake for swimming. Very close to rental facilities (boats, kayaks, etc.). However for the price paid, we found the rooms dated (old fixtures, old carpet, etc.), the cleaning folks did not clean (missed) our room during about 3 day (2 nights) visit, and the roll-away-bed was a in very poor condition (the mattress was falling apart, we used the couch cushions instead).

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
mandy s, Manager at The Pines Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2014

Dear guest,
I want to thank you for the review. We were happy to hear that you enjoyed our amenities and property. We are continuously working on upgrading our chalets and hope that you will come back soon to enjoy the new upgrades!

Reviewed 25 August 2014

This is a rustic, in the woods resort, a few steps up from camping, so don’t expect the rooms to be luxury and modern or the service to be in line with an average motel. For instance, cleaning is every third day. However, the cabin we were in was quite adequate as far as basic comfort. The best quality of the resort, to my mind, is that it offers a number of activities and is close to the south entrance of Yosemite. It is easy to find, on a lovely lake, although in the summer drought the water is down substantially, has a well-stocked market, plenty of parking, a very good restaurant, a bar and grill, pool, small fitness center and various lake activities. You can rent a boat or go fishing among other lake activities. It seems very family friendly, the kind of place you would go spend a few days.

We were in one of the duplex cabins with a downstairs (114) that has a king size bed, very comfortable. The bathroom is basic with a shallow tub/shower, one sink on an old formica counter top, a Kleenex holder and towel rack. They provided plenty of towels. There is a hair dryer, ironing board, closet with adequate light but only 4 hangers, functional wooden furniture, an old TVand upstairs there is a Franklin type stove, sofa bed, flat screen TV, free Wi-Fi and a full kitchen. The kitchen has a microwave, large refrigerator with freezer, large but older stovetop oven, plenty of dishes and they supply you coffee for the coffee maker. There is a balcony but we did not use it. The AC unit was noisy but worked well. I noticed the base board heaters are rather bent and have a sign warning you not to put cloth over them because of fire danger. The stairs are steep.

I found it hard to sleep just a little because the walls transmit sound, especially between floors, so if someone is walking above you hear the creaking of boards. I also found my allergies acting up because of the smell of wood burning and the mustiness in the room. I also found it a bit hard to walk up the steps around the property but you can walk on the paved road. The price was good for lodging close to Yosemite. I would not want to spend much time at this particular resort only because I prefer more upscale accommodations.

The restaurant, Darcy’s, serves great food! It is located right on the lake as well. It is reconstructed because the original restaurant burned down but you would not know that it is not original. It is relaxed and service was good. I recommend the Harris Ranch prime rib, the pork loin, the salmon and the baked brie. They accommodated my diet by giving me more carrots and rice, both of which were wonderful.

Room Tip: We were in cabin 114. If there is no neighbor you would be in a quiet spot but the floors and walls...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
mandy s, Manager at The Pines Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Dear guest,
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review! We were very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay here with us and you were able to experience the woodsy feel! I will be passing on the good review to the restaurant staff as well. Please come back again soon and try one of our hotel suites!

Reviewed 24 August 2014

We recently were evacuated from our home due to a fire. We went to the resort to get a room and were greeted with awesome service and a great staff. They got us into a cabin right away. The cabin was clean,with a beautiful view of the lake and just an amazing cabin feel that u want when u come to the mountains! In a time when things were down they made our stay feel like we were on vacation! The food at the restaurant was great as well. Thank u pines resort for your amazing service to us in the community! I would recommend to everyone to stay here and enjoy what the resort has to offer from family fun on the lake,to fine dining,to the good old fashion cabin on the lake feel! Amazing!

• Stayed: August 2014
mandy s, Manager at The Pines Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2014

Dear guest,
Thank you so much for the wonderful review! We are more than happy to help our community in a time of need and we are glad that you felt at home with us here at the Pines!

Reviewed 23 August 2014

Four of stayed in a Chalet. Only the upstairs has air and barely. People were grilling up from us and our chalet was sucking in the charcoal fumes. I brought Clorox wipes to wipe the counters and bannister to the bedrooms downstairs. The bannister took 3 wipes to remove the grime. There were cobwebs in all the corners and who knows when the windows and sliding doors were last cleaned. It was also very noisy as no one adheres to the quiet times posted and hard to sleep.
The staff is wonderful, the food is good and reasonably priced. The chalet's need a good scrubbing from head to toe. I read that they are upgrading and this is no excuse for the places to be dirty. Free wifi if you can get it.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Mcnic234

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your honesty about your stay. We apologize for the condition of the chalet you stayed in and I will be going over this with our housekeeping department to ensure that the rooms are being cleaned and inspected properly so that this does not happen again! Please feel free to contact me so that we may discuss this matter. Please call The Pines Resort at 559-642-3121 and ask for Mandy Schooley front desk manager. Thank you

Reviewed 20 August 2014

I stayed at this resort with a tour group recently. Nothing majorly wrong with the resort; the cabins were fine, although not great - one bathroom between a possible 6?! Our front door kept sticking too, although this was not a major issue. The pool and jacuzzi area was nice, though be warned - the pool was FREEZING, and the hot tub was BOILING!!
Be aware of getting around the resort on golf carts driven by the staff - they drive dangerously and way too fast. So dangerous in fact that as our driver turned a corner, I fell out of the side of the cart. I ended up having to spend a few hours in A&E - I have broken my toe and my knee is severely swollen to the point where it's still hard to bend and/or straighten almost two weeks after the accident. I had to spend the rest of my holiday on crutches. The driver's five minutes of fun ruined my holiday!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Nia P

Dear Guest,
I am sorry for your experience on your visit here, we assure you that this is not typical behavior of our public attendant to transport guests in a wreck less manor. We have taken the appropriate measures to correct the situation to ensure this does not happen again! If you would like to discuss this matter please contact me here at the Pines resort 559-642-3121 my name is Mandy Schooley. Thank you

Reviewed 19 August 2014

We stayed for 2 days on a trip to Yosemite Park which is a short drive away. It is a very rural area so don't expect to be able to pop to the shops to self cater, although there is a shop on site. Lodge is very clean with shower room, and separate sleeping area on the mezzanine for kids (although you need to ensure that small kids are supervised up there). My teenage kids loved it however.

Hotel was happy to provide additional bedding as and when needed and repaired a small leak on the sink very promptly when notified. There is a pool for use of guests which was very welcome, and if you are into boats (which we are not) you will love the boating on offer.

Only thing that I would mark it down for is the price of the shop which makes self catering at a reasonable price very difficult. However the shop is well stocked and given its remote location I suppose you can make a case for the prices. If we were to return in future for a longer stay (which I would love to do) then I think I would stock up at the supermarket for provisions beforehand.

Yosemite is just down the road and the area is breathtaking. Well worth a visit to this mountain paradise.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank ClarissaCarp
mandy s, Manager at The Pines Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2014

Dear guest,
Thank you for the review! We were very happy to hear of the good experience you had with our staff who are here to make your stay more comfortable and memorable!

Reviewed 14 August 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Pines Resort in late July. We had an awsome experience. The friendly staff at the front desk was very help and made sure we had a pleasant stay. The lake view chalet we stayed in had an amazing sunset view of the lake. The chalet had a warm cabin cozy feel to it that made us feel right at home. Both the restaurant and the upstairs bar and grill portrayed a family atmosphere and took good care of their customers. The food was top notch. The Pines Resort is a great mountain resort and we are looking forward to returning for a winter experience and for sure next summer.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Kcantu440
mandy s, Manager at The Pines Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for the wonderful review! We are so happy to hear that you had a wonderful time here, and I will be passing on the wonderful review to our restaurant staff! We hope that yo visit us again soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bass Lake
Tenaya Lodge at Yosemite
Mountain Trail Lodge
Mountain Trail Lodge
#8 of 9 in Oakhurst

Been to The Pines Resort? Share your experiences!