“Best cross country skiing”

Bear Valley Cross Country and Adventure Company
Reviewed 15 April 2014

I've been cross-country skiing since 1979 at several resorts in California (and in Oregon and Idaho). In my opinion, Bear Valley Cross Country and Adventure Company has the best cross-country ski trails in California. There is a good mix of easy and expert trails through meadows, aspen forests, along creeks and along a ridge with views of the Sierra Mountains. The ski trails are consistently groomed well. Along with skiing, there's sledding and tubing. And when you need a break, there's an indoor/outdoor cafe that even serves beer and wine.

The Company offers equipment for summer activities such as bicycling, mountain biking and kayaking. They also have trail maps of the surrounding area for mt. biking and hiking.

To top it all off, the owners and staff are friendly and very knowledgeable.

1  Thank BV_Mtn_Girl

Reviewed 15 April 2014

Friendly
Family-oriented
Fantastic bike mechanic
Fabulous scenery everywhere you go
Farsighted: they have created guidebooks of local places of interest for bikers, hikers, and water enthusiasts
Fido oriented - there is a Winter trail for dog owners, free of snowmobiles, for pedestrian powered locomotion
Fitness focus: you can be a hard-core outdoor jock or a weekend warrior and BV Cross Country and Adventure Company can help you find a fun way to be fit
Family and friends have been patrons for years and these folks never fail to deliver! You can rent or buy the equipment you need of get advice about the best place to play for free.

1  Thank mlf2870
Reviewed 22 February 2014

My husband, 20 month old daughter, and I went to Bear Valley XC to get a cross country skiing lesson. We wanted to try XC skiing and hoped it was something we could do with our daughter since downhill skiing and snowboarding was out of the question. We called a few days ahead of time to schedule the lesson and were told no reservations were required and to be there by 10am there would be plenty of room for us. We were disappointed when we got there at 10am and were told that the ski lesson was full that morning. The owner, Paul, offered to take us out for an hour and we happily accepted. Paul was extremely friendly and helpful. He had us both skiing within an hour and loaned us a toddler sled for towing our daughter for free for the day. We had a wonderful time and have found a new sport that we can do with our daughter- thanks to Paul going out of his way to make sure we had a pleasurable experience. There were plenty of beginner trails to keep us busy all day. Trails were well maintained and not over crowded (it was a Friday) Atmosphere was very family friendly. The people at the Cafe and rental shop were inviting and helpful as well. We will definitely go back and will be getting a season pass next year. I also look forward to taking friends here for skiing and sledding (the sledding hill looked super fun) and checking out their Fat bikes when we have a baby sitter. This summer we will use them for our Kayak and mountain bike rental needs. So glad we have have this place close by.

2  Thank dredre83
Reviewed 28 December 2013 via mobile

Great place with manageable crowd for younger kids less than 10 yrs old. Relax and friendly and you dont feel the squeeze and rush of tahoe

1  Thank Trippyhappy
Reviewed 15 January 2013

I spent a weekend last March in a cabin near Arnold doing a team building retreat with a group I whitewater raft with. So, we went XC skiing at Bear Valley Saturday, and to Calaveras Big Trees State Park on Sunday, before heading back to the Bay Área. It was an AWESOME beautiful weekend from start to finish. Bear Valley XC was one of the most incredible facilities I hace ever XC at. Now, I admit, as primarily a downhill skiier, I enjoy Tahoe resorts, BUT, I will keep going back to Bear Valley XC, & would love to try the downhill resort as well. It is a COMPLETE 360' from Tahoe, and represents a much more rugged, rustic, authentic Sierra experience I think, and the área is WAY LESS congested and built up compared to say South Lake Tahoe & Heavenly for example. Arnold, in particular, is a charming town that really reminds me of soñé of the small towns back East in Vermont where I grew up skiing. Bear Valley & the surrounding área is a gem, go, you'll love it.!

1  Thank benbear2009