“Lovely homely place to stay”

HYATT house Belmont/Redwood Shores
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Belmont
Reviewed 25 January 2013

Stayed here last summer and will repeat this summer whilst visiting family. The hotel is clean, good location and the suites are nice and big and comfortable. What makes it though is the staff are so helpful and friendly. Breakfast is fine, evening social hour good too.

Room Tip: All the rooms are similar, we preferred a ground floor room.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
HyattSuitesBelmont, General Manager at HYATT house Belmont/Redwood Shores, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2013

Thank you so much for choosing th HYATThouse Belmont. We appreciate your loyalty and look forward to having you back soon!

Reviewed 18 January 2013

I had been there in the Summerfield Suites for more than 2 months. It is an awesome hotel with very good service, neat, nice breakfast, friendly staff..They have nice swimming pool, business meeting room, gym..

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
HyattSuitesBelmont, General Manager at HYATT house Belmont/Redwood Shores, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2013

Thank you for choosing the HYATThouse Belmont. We appreciate your loyalty and look forward to having you return soon!!!!

Reviewed 13 January 2013

I don't have a great impression of suite type of hotels, but I was pleasantly surprised.at this hotel.
The hotel is clean, great location, rooms are nice, and breakfast is another pleasant surprise.
I was there for 4 nights.

---Hotel:
Unassuming look as you drive up. The rooms are suites with bedroom(s), living room area, small dining area and kitchen. They are targeted at long term stays, but accomadate short term hotel stays nicely. The location is situated amongst low office buildings and nice neighborhoods, very near Oracle offices, with lagoons and estuaries separating neighborhoods. Part of the hotel fronts a man-made pond/small lake. The hotel is 3 stories, no elevator, some suites face interior area, some exterior facing.

Work out room: better than most. simple, smallish and heavily used. get there at 6:00am. 6:30 and it's busy.

For Runners or Walkers: many nice bike/walk paths along lagoons and estuaries available from front door. with many different runs to pick from. I ran multiple 6milers in morning. All routes are flat and go for 10++ miles. Best running hotel i've been to.
---Room:
I had an exterior room (631) facing the west on 3rd floor. I ask for rooms that quiet and high. The desk clerk said he has heard from a few other guests that they can hear a neighboring freeway (the 101), but he shook his head and didn't agree. The freeway is across a field and estuary. The rooms are well insulated. I could only hear very faint sounds from the freeway, an occasional loud motorcycle while watching TV. No earplugs needed.

Kitchen is nice and seems ready for multi-week/month guest. Since I was there only 4 nights I only used it to make coffee in the morning (bought coffee at a local Target), put OJ and creamer in frig, and to-go boxes. The kitchen was nice.

Bedroom was nice. Good bed, comfortable. TV in bedroom didn't get good reception.
Bathroom area: OK, nothing fancy.

Living Room area: good, comfortable sofa, nice TV (with good reception).
Front door didn't close well. At night with lights off, i could see exterior lights around entire door perimeter. And the lows were in the 30's! The door just didn't make a good seal.
**I told the desk clerk after breakfast. when I returned in the evening it was fixed!!
**Not only did the door have additional weather stripping installed, but it latched nicely.

---Breakfast: was included. In the main hotel building. It was probably the best "breakfast included" I've seen in this class of hotels. Much more than the usual stale bagel, old banana, forgettable yogurt. Several hot dishes (breakfast sausge, scrambled eggs, pancakes/waffles), cereals, bagels, breads, fruits, etc. Also juices and coffee. It was surprising.
**suggestions: get better coffee (I made mine in the room), provide stryo-boxes to make
carrying back to room easier.

---Resturants: Not terribly close, but not far. BJ's, Red Robin are probably 4miles. Many in nearby small communities. Just need to find the good ones (there are some that are forgettable).

---Summary: If I'm in this area again I would return. There is a Sofitel nearby but I prefer the apartment style of this hotel. And this hotel costs less.

Room Tip: Interior facing are very quiet. But exterior aren't very noisey. It's located in very quiet...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
HyattSuitesBelmont, General Manager at HYATT house Belmont/Redwood Shores, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a comment on our hotel. We appreciate all feedback and I am happy to here your door was fixed promptly. We look forward to having you back and have a wonderful day!

Reviewed 5 January 2013

We used to stay here frequently back in 2001/2002 when it was called summerfield suites and loved it, however, our recent stay was TERRIBLE.

We checked in to the two bed trio suite (1 king bed & two queen beds) on Dec 21 for our week stay. We slept in the king bed in one room and our 2 kids in the queen beds in the other room. In the room with the two queen beds, we noticed the ceiling was patched up with star sticker next to it and the bed directly underneath was a much older and harder than the other bed in the room but thought nothing of it.

**First issue - both rooms leaked (pictures of both rooms below)
On the first night my daughter (sleeping in the older/ harder bed) had a nightmare, so I ended up in the bed with her, at about 4am I heard a sound which turned out to be a ceiling leak directly onto my sleeping daughter. So, I took her into our bed in the other room and heard another leak near the window, there was a hole above the window sill. At this point we had enough and called front desk to advise them of the situation.We were advised there were no more trios (1 king/2 queens) available, but they could offer us a suite with 1 king & 1 queen bed. This did not suit us, so we decided to stay in the leaky room until the next day. By the morning, a chunk of the ceiling plaster had fallen on the bed where my daughter had slept.

We believe that they knew about the potential problem but placed us in the room anyway. In the first leaky room (2 queen beds), there was a star sticker and a large plaster patch on the ceiling, and an old hard mattress under the leak. In the other leaky room (king bed), the two holes in the plaster where the leak came from were large and unmistakable.

Although we got assistance with our luggage when changing rooms and although we did not get charged for the night, it wasn't sufficient compensation after losing sleep, repacking and moving - our day was ruined due to lack of sleep.

**Second issue - the bites (picture below)
On Dec 26th my son had several bites on his inner thighs, which had the characteristics bed bugs. After advising the front desk, we were told they had never had a case of bed bugs but just in case, they moved us into another room for the night (without our luggage) - again, a room with 1 king & 1 queen bed was available, but we took it anyway.

The next day, we had to pack everything up again and move our things into another room. When we checked out on Dec 28, we were told the room had been inspected by a pest control company and no bed bugs were found. We were relieved to hear this, but still have our doubts as the bites had all the characteristics of those we researched on the internet.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank lovefamilytravel2
HyattSuitesBelmont, General Manager at HYATT house Belmont/Redwood Shores, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2013

I am sincerely sorry to hear about your issues as it is our intent to satisfy every guest on every stay. We would never intentionally put a guest in a room that we know had a leak. Unfortunately there was an issue with the guest room above you and I am sorry that it affected your stay. We did have a third party pest control company come to inspect your room due to the complaint of bites and there was no bug activity found in the room. Please feel free to give me a call if you would like to discuss this in detail or if you would like for us to send you a copy of the report. I would love the opportunity to have you come back in the future so that we can make amends for your past stay. Thank you!

Reviewed 23 December 2012

I stayed at the end of my holiday before flying off for Korea. I'd chosen the Hyatt House over Millwood Inn as there were 5 of us and I thought having two bathrooms was a reasonable tradeoff over the longer distance Hyatt house is from SFO. Not having stayed at Millwood, I can't compare the both.
Here is what I liked about Hyatt House: It was in a nice, quiet place. Now some others may say it differently and see it as too far away from walkable eateries, etc. If you don't drive, I'd say give this place a miss as you need a car to get to the nearest eateries. There is a good choice of restaurants within a 5-10 minute drive away. Maybe that's stating the obvious - where it is located, one would wonder what soneone without a car is doing there. The grounds are sedate and pretty and quite spread out - laid out around a small lake and with a pool and basketball court in the middle of the property. It's a 'not new' kinda high end motel style. It was nice to park right in front of your doorstep.
Given that it's sitting on the cusp of silicon valley - it probably caters to computer and IT business folk rather than holiday travellers like myself. There is a self-service laundry but you have to pay for the washer and dryer. I stayed at Staybridge Suites in Roseville the night before and was pleasantly surprised that it was free for the washers and dryers. Compared to the newer Staybridge at Roseville, this property was showing a bit more wear but it was nevertheless well kept and clean. I liked the evening meal and breakfast which had (I thought) a better choice and quality of food. The dining area was larger and made for a pleasant breakfast. There is a business centre where you can do printing and the rooms had wi-fi which worked satisfactorily.
I had initially booked a 'trio' - which was 3 beds in two rooms but realised on checking in that this property has no elevator. I reluctantly gave up the trio bedroom on the second floor (I had an insane amunt of luggage) and the staff were very nice trying to find another 'trio' on the ground floor but there were none. One queen in each room (we had a two room suite) is a squeeze for 5 and I am not so fond of sofa-beds. So if you have quite a few people, make sure you ask for a trio room. The front desk were very nice and friendly and I felt welcomed.
What I didn't kinda like was that the slightly longer distance from SFO on a map really meant a lot of extra time travelling. I never realised that there were so many cars in the SF area - it was a wednesday night - granted it was peak hour at 6pm but the traffic reminded me of downtown Kuala Lumpur, Bangkok or Jakarta - not places you want to be at peak hour. It was about 20-25 minutes from SFO at peak traffic but more like 10-15 out of peak times. The lack of an elevator was also a minus - anyone with more than a small amount of luggage may want to consider giving this place a miss if they're not booked on the ground floor.
Overall, I woundn't mind coming back to stay but I'd plan getting there out of peak hours next time and making sure I book a trio room on the ground floor.

Room Tip: There are no elevators here - make sure you ask for a goround floor room if you have lots of luggage...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank snowbunny35
Reviewed 7 December 2012

We stayed here in a Two Bedroom Suite with another couple while visiting the bay area. We were on a spur of the moment trip to watch an Oakland Raider football game and visit San Francisco. Thus were looking for the most bang for our buck, and boy this did it for us. With seperate bedrooms with bathrooms, we had the privacey that we wanted at a great price. The large shared living space was very comfortable and the full kitchen was great. The only thing we found missing was a wine bottle opener. The bed was very comfortable and the room was very clean. The full free breakfast was great! They had a huge selection of items. They had a different "Protein" each morning of our stay; bacon, suasage and then ham. They also had bisquits and gravy, scrambled eggs, and a scramble with veggies and ham. The selection of teas and coffee was also a nice surprise. This hotel fit our needs well. We would stay here again in a heart beat.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
HyattSuitesBelmont, General Manager at HYATT house Belmont/Redwood Shores, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2012

Thank you for the kind words and we are glad to hear you enjoyed the full complimentary breakfast buffet. We hope to see you again next year when you come to watch the Raiders play again! Have a great day!

Reviewed 11 November 2012

This hotel is presumably more suited towards long stay visitors as it offers kitchens , sitting rooms and in my case 2 separate bedrooms. The furnishings are relatively modern and the room is relatively clean. However there are a lot of problems based on my experience.

- If you are on a third floor there is no elevator. Fine for me but could be significant for seniors, families, etc
- My room has a terrible perfume smell likely placed by the maid service. It smells as if they are trying to mask something else.

- Both bedrooms (which is overkill for a single person) have bathrooms with tubs. I'd prefer to have at least one full shower as most modern hotels do.. The bathtubs are pretty cramped.
- My toilet is constantly running. Sounds like a dripping noise.

- There is a strange mix of flourescet lights and normal lights used in the lamps and ceilings. Sounds minimal but it's odd if you're at all sensitive to light.
- and probably the worst of all for a business traveler the wifi here hasn't worked for 2 days.

Most times I come to this area I stay at the Sofitel but they were sold out. After staying at the Hyatt I'm reminded of flying first class. Once you fly first class it's hard to go back to coach. The Hyatt is definitely coach while the Sofitel is 1st class.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
HyattSuitesBelmont, General Manager at HYATT house Belmont/Redwood Shores, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We appreciate all feedback as we are always trying to improve our hotel. I am happy to report that the internet outage has since been fixed by our service provider since your stay. We look forward to another opportunity to earn your loyalty!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Belmont
Pullman San Francisco Bay
Pullman San Francisco Bay
#1 of 17 in Redwood City
SpringHill Suites Belmont Redwood Shores
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, San Carlos
Holiday Inn Express Suites Belmont
Hilton Garden Inn San Mateo
Residence Inn San Francisco Airport/San Mateo

Been to HYATT house Belmont/Redwood Shores? Share your experiences!