“Great hotel for families visiting the Bay Area”

HYATT house Belmont/Redwood Shores
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Belmont
Stratford-Upon-Avon
“Great hotel for families visiting the Bay Area”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2008

A great place for long stay or families.

The triple suite we booked for our young family was probably one of the best suites we've ever stayed in.

This hotel has just been expertly refurbished and is fabulous. Even the kids got excited about the rooms and facilities.

Very high spec brand new kitchen with all new appliances, beautiful quality bed linen, DVD player, 2 bathrooms and a living room....and a lovely view over a lake.

Easy access to Oracle (walking distance) and the 101 freeway in just 5 mins but we had no traffic noise at all from our rooms.

The pool was very clean and well maintained...but a little cool for comfort.
The hot tub was a little too hot so our kids wouldn't go in it.
Basketball court and laundry room. A real home from home and perfect for families.

Would highly recommend and is now where we would stay on every visit to the Bay Area.

• Liked — Top quality furnishings and decor
  • Disliked — The reception area was in the process of being refurbished - hot tub too hot!
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
  • Korean first
Southern California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2008

We really liked this hotel. It had everything that we needed and if there were any problems than they were pretty quick on fixing them. The problem I am having is now I am trying to book for Christmas and have completely gotten the run around on the rates. I found that I was paying more for my room than my brother and I called and was told that because he was staying two days less than his rate was cheaper. The rate is not based on a nightly amount it is based on length of stay so beware! Even after I persuaded them to give me the lower rate, I called to add a few extra days and they have no record of the new lower rate. I had to e-mail them my confirmation to prove what the new rate was so again beware of the rate change game they are playing. It is a shame because it is a great hotel!

Stayed August 2008
Toronto, ON
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2008

Stayed in a 2 bedroom (2 King, 1 Queen sofabed) unit on the 3rd floor for 2 nights with 6 family members. The unit can accomodate 6 persons but I would only recommend 4 at most because all the furniture is new but oversized for the space. We found that we had to twist sideways to get into some parts of the rooms. We found this place difficult to find and circled by Oracle HQ and Belmont a bit before we found the right street.

Also request something on lower floors if you don't want to carry your luggage up 3 flights of stairs - no elevators.

I think this place has finished most of its renovation but the signage still has the old Wyndham green colors. The carpet was already pretty dirty for being a newly renovated unit.

The kitchen doesn't have a cutting board or knife so it's difficult to cook anything from scratch. It's really meant to reheat frozen dinners or pizza.

The bed was comfy and clean. Housekeeping didn't knock until after 3:30 (after we'd been out for most of the day) so we didn't get fresh towels.

The AC worked fine but is noisier than most places when it's on.

The breakfast area is big and well attended. The manager's social (5:30 - 7) was surprisingly okay but the beer was extremely watered down.

• Liked — Fast internet
  • Disliked — Tight, cramped, not enough open space
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
Truckee, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2008

I got this reservation through Priceline. The location is good just south of HWY 92 and San Mateo. The hotel is very typical of a Hyatt Summerfield suites which is similar to a resident's Inn by Marriott. We had a 1 bedroom "apartment" basically with full kitchen and king in he bedroom. Large closet with full bath. Nice work area in the living room and fold out sofa.

The hotel is just finishing the remodeling and our room was just redone. It is nice, but nothing high end. Definitely comfortable.

It is like an apartment, so be sure to ask for 1st floor if you don' want to walk up stairs. also,the doors are on the outside, so if you are worried about security, this isn't the hotel for you.

All that said, my experience was poor from the get go. There was only one person at the desk both at checkin and checkout. The phone was ringing (loud) the whole time I was waiting in the lobby with the front desk clerk trying to juggle the person in front of me, the phone and then me. It took about 15 minutes to check in at 10:00 on a Friday night. It took about 20 minutes to check out the next morning.

The biggest problem however was that my shower didn't work. The little pull tab which takes the water up to the shower head was no where to be found (how could they have cleaned my shower without running the shower head??). We were able to stick some soap up in the facet to get the shower on, and took our shower that way. I called the front desk when we first noticed the problem in the morning. They were very nice, but didn't have any immediate answer. When I checked out, I reminded the staff about my problem, and other than an "I'm sorry, we'll look into that", there was no better answer. They looked at my reservation and since I was on priceline, they didn't offer me anything. I pushed and said that it was unsatisfactory, but they said there was nothing they could do.

While the staff (the two people I talked with) were very nice, it was clear both in the clutter of the front office as well as my overall experience that this hotel is not run as a tight ship. I'm guessing they try to get by short staffed and that reflects on the quality of the room and service.

I can't recommend this hotel. There are many other good choices in the area that I would go for first.

• Liked — Location and Price
  • Disliked — The shower didn't work
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank audigal
Foster City, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2008

Visiting with family in the area and wanted to have our own space. This worked out very well, the bedroom and living room are seperate so that different sleeping schedules can be accomodated. There is a nice pool area in the middle of the complex and a pond on the outside which gives plenty of space for kids to run off energy.

Access to the hotel is a little confusing but easy after the first wander around. The hotel is a number of seperate building with outside stairs to all three floors. I would not like to stay there if I was traveling by myself.

The hotel staff was very nice and the breakfast was quite hearty. Belmont is close enough so that if there is anything you forgot you can pick it up easily.

• Liked — An actual suite with two rooms and door between them
  • Disliked — Outside entrance
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
Golden, CO
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2007

Unsatisfied with hotel. The room had a worn out bed, room smelled like garbage and free internet did not work. Reserved the room for four nights and checked out after one. Called Expedia customer support prior to checking out and was told to go ahead and check so they could process my refund. So when I call expedia back after following their instructions they say the need to speak with the hotel manager to process my refund. Guess what? After five calls in three days to expedia they can not ever reach the manager to approve the refund. Expedia / Summerfield never again

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank gjohn_7
Boston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2007

We stayed in the two bedroom suite overlooking the man-made pond. The rooms (living area, kitchen, bedrooms and bathrooms) were very clean with a few exceptions. The carpet in our living room was worn and wrinkled and in need of replacing or stretching. The coffee table had obvious signs of wear. The couch had light stains which made you wonder if they were from bodily fluids.

The morning breakfast was nice as it offered eggs and sausage or bacon (but not both). Some mornings had french toast and pancakes. Fresh fruit, bagels and yogurt were available. The buffet did constantly run out of items however, and was never refilled promptly. Finally, the coffee was weak and the juice was watered down (cost saving measure?).

They offered a free shuttle to nearby companies and hotels. The staff was always pleasant and tried to be helpful.

Overall, we were very satisfied with our stay at Summerfield Suites and actually recommended it to a colleague who was planning a trip there.

• Liked — Convenient to towns, transportation and the city. Free internet and a better-than-continental breakfast buffet.
  • Disliked — Stained couches and old carpet.
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled on business
3 Thank iCritic
Also consider these accommodations in or near Belmont
Pullman San Francisco Bay
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, San Carlos
Residence Inn San Francisco Airport/San Mateo
Extended Stay America - San Francisco - Belmont
BEST WESTERN Coyote Point Inn

Been to HYATT house Belmont/Redwood Shores? Share your experiences!