Hotel Riu Montego Bay
Pink Hibiscus Villa(Ironshore)(Great Value!)
US$138
US$77
Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay(Montego Bay)(Great Value!)
US$248
US$217
  • Breakfast included
Zoetry Montego Bay Jamaica(Montego Bay)(Great Value!)
US$510
US$459
Bookit.com
Half Moon(Rose Hall)(Great Value!)
US$577
US$542
Orbitz.com
Hyatt Zilara Rose Hall(Rose Hall)(Great Value!)
US$458
TripAdvisor
Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall(Rose Hall)(Great Value!)
US$1,584
Orbitz.com
Jewel Grande Montego Bay Resort & Spa(Montego Bay)(Great Value!)
US$426
US$98
  • Breakfast included
TripAdvisor
6,576 results
All reviewsjerk chickenmontego bayswim up barasian restaurantevery other daymichael jackson showentertainment staffjerk hutbuffet styleclose to the airportrose hallmini barmain buffetpaddle boatsfood was greatplanes flyingdunns river
Reviewed 31 March 2009

Just got back from Riu Montego Bay, yesterday. Resort was nice. Agree with a few of the comments made by others, need a bar in the middle vicinity of the beach., can be a long walk for a drink. Jerk Chicken Hut is a must, take your own insulated cup for drinks, that was a great tip. Plenty of sun chairs on the beach, didn't swim in ocean but could see the moss etc not far out. Entertainment every night, not broadway, but you arent on broadway ,you are in Jamaica. Casual Dress for all meals, we took nice clothes, pants and nice shirts for my husband, dressy clothes for me, but really not needed, almost anything goes for dress, except for the reservation restaurants. Staff seemed nice. Beds were a bit on the hard side. Pool area was very nice and large. Not a real big space for the kids play area. Didn't take any children but did notice. Gift shop on site was pretty good, if you are a beach reader, not much there to read, make sure you bring enough of your own. The Ghangi salesmen are plentiful, not to crazy about that, but they were there everyday, "in cognito selling necklaces." However if you let them know right away your aren't interested they don't bother you. Planes do fly right over resort, couple two three times a day, that didn't really bother us, was nice not to have long ride from airport. All in all it was a nice place to stay, Might not go back ,just because next time will go to couples only resort .

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
5  Thank oktire
Reviewed 31 March 2009

I stayed at hotel Riu Montero Bay from 9/26/08 to 10/03/08. Throughout my visit i found many inconvenieces at that place.
1) We asked to have a room on the 1st or 2nd level because my wife has a back problem. We did not receive the room, instead were placed on the 4th floor and with elevator. The elevator broke down on the 3rd day and i had to assist my wife with walking up and down the stairs for the rest of the time. The elevator was not fixed.
2) As far as room service, out of the whole week of being there, the rooms were not cleaned twice. We had to find a housekeeper to ask for towels.
3) On the 5th day the air conditioner in the room broke down. We contacted the front desk, but no one came.
4) The advertisement online stated that there was sauna and jacuzzi, but neither was working nor it was installed to work.
5) Entertainment at night was horrible and there were only 2 shows during the whole week.
6) The advertisement stated that there were sun umbrellas. When we arrived to the beach there were no umbrellas or any shade. The palm trees growing there were too small and had no shade.
7) Neither there was a beach bar. I had to walk to the other side of the hotel to get some water or beverage.
8) The worst thing was that we couldn't enjoy staying at the beach or swim because there are way too many Jamaican people standing in water and trying to sell me drugs. When my wife tried to go swimming a man approached her on the boat to try to sell her some drugs.
He scared her by swimming up from behind.
We complained to the security and the police, but no one did anything.
9) Marijuana grows on the premises of the hotel.
10) Mini bar in the room was not refilled for 3 days.
It was my 50th birthday and i wanted to go Jamaica to make it special. Also, i know that Rui has the best reputation. I was very disappointed and will never visit Jamaica again.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank cg96
Reviewed 31 March 2009

My husband and I just returned from the RIU Montego Bay where we had a really wonderful time.
RESORT: From the moment we walked in, we found the place well organized and efficient, making check-in a breeze. The resort is fairly new, so the rooms were nicely furnished and very clean - we had absolutely no problem with the water temperature as we have had in other resorts. I loved the fact that the resort is not too sprawling where you have to take a shuttle to get from one place to another! It's conveniently situated close to the airport and after just one day of being there I learned to tune out the planes.
FOOD: The restaurants were nice (we preferred the steakhouse and the buffet - the appetizers at the Italian and Asian place were great, the entrees were hit-and-miss!). The jerk chicken by the beach was the best. At lunch we suggest sitting upstairs at Mahoe Bay - it's quieter and the view is great!
STAFF: The staff were amazing ... the cleaning staff, the servers, the entertainers, the bartenders - everyone went out of their way to ensure we were enjoying ourselves. Even the Asst GM took time to chat with us and asked for feedback on our experience!
FACILITIES: The beach was not the greatest, but the pool and other hangout places made up for it. We always found a place around the pool even though some people would be there at the crack of dawn to book spots. The nighttime shows ranged from entertaining to spectacular. The gym (even though I didn't use it) had quite a bit of equipment. The nightclub was usually packed. My only beef was that one of the bars on the main level should have been kept open past midnite (the sports bar is open 24/7 but is not very conveniently located!). The paddleboats and kayaks were included at no extra charge and were usually available on demand.
SHOPPING: The mall across the street is very accessible - you can walk or take the free shuttle service - just don't go with the ticket prices, use your haggling skills to get a bargain.
EXCURSIONS: We took the catamaran/snorkelling/Dunns Falls package which was well worth it! Other people we know used a cab for a private tour and personalized package which they also said was a great way to tour the area.

I would definitely check out the RIU in Negril for our next trip!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank MoBayFan
Reviewed 30 March 2009

I spend a week from March 17 to 24th at this resort. I was on this trip with my husband and 3 children along with my sister's family of 5. My children are ages 6, 12, 13. The children loved this resort. They really enjoyed being able to take out the kayaks and paddleboats as often as they wished. For the 6 year old the water was shallow and very calm therefore pretty safe. However she did get stung by a jellyfish which we were told is very rare. The chilren loved the pools and the pools were heated to a perfect temperature and always kept very clean.

The staff at this resort is incredible. The service is some of the best service I have experienced yet. The staff seems to try so hard to make everyone happy.

The entertainment staff was fantastic. They had my 6 year old daughter dancing on the stage every night and she had a blast with them. They are so friendly. Believe it or not the shows at night were very professional and the dancers were really really good. We enjoyed every show with the exception of the Bob Marley night where a band was brought in to sing Bob Marley songs. We kind of got tired after a few songs.

The Rooms: The room was very clean and spacious enough. Plenty of space for clothes, very nice balcony and very nice bathroom. We had no problems with the water at all. The in room fridge was always well stocked. Maid service was very good also.

The Food: In general it was good and always a fair bit of selection. The only thing that I was disappointed about was that I expect to see daily fresh fish. There was not always fish at either the lunch restaurant or dinner and when there was fish it was always fried and never grilled. Actually nothing was grilled. Everything was fried which I found a little difficult on the stomach. The children always found something they liked however my 13 year old did get quite sick. He had severe diarrhea for 2 days. We took him to the doctor on the resort and he was excellent and he took very good care of my son.
The a la carte restaurants: Don't every bother with the italian. I am italian and can honestly say this restaurant was not very good. If you do go then fill up on the antipasto buffet because the main course certainly won't fill your tummy. The chinese restaurant was our favourite. It was excellent! The steakhouse was also very good.

The only other negative comment about the food was that there were often empty dishes at the buffet that were not replenished quickly enough.

This is a new resort so you really have to give it a chance to improve on these things. For a brand new resort were were very impressed.

Location: Perfect...10minutes (not even) from the airport. Check in was so smooth too. As for the airplanes disturbing your peace on the beach, quite honestly it didn't bother my at all and sometimes I really didn't even notice.

The beach is not a long beach but nice sand. The water is not very clear either and weeds in some areas but we still enjoyed the beach and ocean. There are not enough shaded areas on the beach other than a few trees that seem to be dying.

My biggest disappointmen: The Gym. There are only 3 treadmills, 2 elipticals and 2 bikes. It's very disappointing to go to the gym at 7am and not be able to get a machine. It was always packed in the morning and many people were upset about this. There is not enough equipment to support this size of a resort. It is also not air conditioned. I would have like to work out more but was not able to for the above reasons.

They also need to improve on the games room. My older kids did not feel they had enough for them to do in the evening.

I loved the weather and my favourite thing about this resort was the staff. They were wonderful! I would definitely return to this resort one day.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank nessienu
Reviewed 29 March 2009

Just got back from RIU Montego Bay on 3/27. Before we left, we had read many poor reviews. While there, I had commented that the people leaving the poor reviews could probably find fault with just about everything. Yes there are airplanes overhead, but you should know that before you leave and the upside is that you have less than a 10 minute ride to the airport. Hotel is clean; staff is friendly and helpful, pool is nice and the beach is large enough. Yes there's seaweed, it is the ocean afterall, but if you don't like it, go to the pool. I don't really like having sand everywhere, but I don't blame the beach for that. The food was very nice and nothing tasted bad, but eating at the same place all the time does get repititious. We ate at the Italian restaurant one night, which was also good. The entertainment was, well, entertaining and funny, even if it was a little cheesy. They could do a better job of restocking the refrigerator more often, as we usually finished what was in there everyday, especially the Red Stripe. The liquor dispenser is very nice, although when you open a bottle of Red Stripe with the bottle opener on the wall, it sprays everywhere. Overall, would I stay there again, probably not, but just because we would like to experience other places. Would I recommend it to a friend, yes. Would I stay at another RIU resort, yes.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family