“Northern Italy in Berkeley”
Review of Trattoria Corso

Trattoria Corso
Reserve with OpenTable
Trattoria Corso is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 712 Restaurants in Berkeley
Price range: US$25 - US$100
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Delaware
Transit: Downtown Berkeley Bart is a 5 minute walk. AC Transit bus service travels the length of Shattuck Ave.
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Corso has been one of my favorite Berkeley restaurants since it first opened six years ago. Up to two years ago, I celebrated my birthday there with friends When I went this week with a friend from D.C., because of my travel schedule, I hadn't been back in over a year.

We enjoyed ourselves splitting two different appetizers, then following with salads and main courses. My friend had the Hoffman Farms chicken breast that is basted in butter, I had the pasta with the pork ragu. These were joined by shares of the spinach and house polenta.

In the last year, the quality of the food has remained high, the cooking remains professional with a bit of flair. I do have to grump that the polenta which is blended with mascarpone and topped with parmesan was out of balance and only the parmesan topping could be tasted.

Service was pleasant and efficient and the wait staff was very good at explaing dishes to my guest.

Corso is a very comfortable place to enjoy food in Berkeley. One note, prices haave advanced in a year.

There are newer reviews for Trattoria Corso

Reviewed 10 July 2014

With a small but very well-done menu, Corso covers all the Tuscan highlights e xcept bread soup. Five house-made salumis. Twelve antipasti. Four house-made pastas. Six mains, and four side dishes.

We had Caponata (which was truly a nit-to-be-missed version), Giadiniera (tasty but small), Frafale with a wonderful sauce (cooked less than al dente... a little too hard), and a whole Branzino ( bargain at $27, and wonderfully sweet).

The wine list is short, but covers the Tuscan waterfront when it comes to less expensive wines; don't look for a big Brunello here, but a very nice Chianti Classico.

Setting with a nice, open kitchen, is appropriate fro the price. The service was excellent.

One modest gripe. While the kitchen used what tasted like a great salt (Maldon, I think), it's never good news hen you thunk you can taste the specific sea salt. The sublime Caponata was marred by too much salt and the past was a little over-salted as well.

1  Thank LarryFLosAngeles
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Went to Corso based on my cousin's recommendation. All four of us very much enjoyed our food and will return again.

We started with the housemade charcuterie which was very good. We all then had salads of one sort or another which were fresh, simple and flavorful. The best, however, were the entrees. I had the Chicken ala Sostanza (one of their specialties), which was incredible. So much so that I hope to see if the real restaurant in Florence equals the experience when I go this October! My dining companions all loved their entrees as well (pasta al sugo, one of the daily specials and the last I cannot remember). Good wine selections. Service was excellent!

Reviewed 28 May 2014

This restaurant is a must! We'd never been in it before, even though we frequently dine out in Berkeley -- not sure how we missed it, but we won't any more. We sat at a window table, fortunately, because it's very noisy, even with relatively high ceilings. Not sure why, but we'll ask for that area any time we go there. We all enjoyed our meals immensely. What a find!
Very glad to have another great place to add to the rota.

Reviewed 7 March 2014

Great restaurants balance the richness of flavors with subtlety. I've dined at Corso twice within the past 6 weeks and, on both occasions, the food was too heavy handed. The Lattuga salad was sour and salty. The Yukon Gold potatoes were burdened by too much cheese. Such a shame, when all they really need is a bit of butter. And, the fish of day, while perfectly cooked, was laden with over-powering caper berries. Otherwise, a lovely environment and great staff.