“Winner on Fourth St.”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 23 June 2013

Had a delicious breakfast last Saturday with a short wait at 9:00 am. There was no wait for outside tables but was a little chilly. I had the specialty french toast with marscopone cheese/jalepeno jam. It was very good, but a tad sweet for me. The egg dishes looked amazing, and a friend highly recommends the crepes. I will definetly go back to this charming bistro type cafe.

Reviewed 13 April 2013

We've been to Bette's Oceanview Diner before, enjoyed it, but didn't feel like waiting today, so we checked out TA and ambled over to the nearby Cafe M. Spacious, not yet busy, well-staffed, so I thought we'd be good to go. Server Nora was pleasant and efficient, took our orders and promptly returned with our fresh-squeezed OJ. And thus began the wait. As I noted, it wasn't that busy. I could see the kitchen, with at least 3 cooks. It became obvious that orders were done one at a time, in sequence. Every four or five minutes, an order came out. Perhaps the hens laid eggs to order. Our order took a good 25 to 30 minutes to arrive, clearly unsatisfactory. Trish had the scrambled with bacon and French toast. The latter was fine, the two crisp pieces of bacon were good (the other two were flabby), and she pushed the eggs away. I gave them a smell, and was surprised to get a hint of fish oil. Yuck. My Denver omelet was good, potatoes very good, but the English muffin wasn't warm enough to even start to melt the butter.

Given the wait, the food was disappointing; Trish's eggs were strangely unpalatable.

So you get your choice: wait outside with the crowd for a table at Bette's, and be virtually guaranteed good food and service, or be promptly seated at Cafe M and wait far too long for food that will garner, at best, a mixed review, hence the "average" here. Trish and I agree that future excursions to 4th Street will find us at Bette's.

1  Thank JDinNapa
Reviewed 28 March 2013

We enjoyed a fantastic breakfast at Bette's a day earlier, but Bette's becomes crowded by 7. Cafe M didn't seem to build up a crowd until after 9 a.m. on a Sunday (3/24/13). Cafe M offers more seating, including outside tables. We found ourselves comparing our breakfast experiences, which were both delicious. Cafe M had better coffee (Pete's, brewed strong). Eggs were treated well at both diners, though: no over-cooked eggs on Egg Benedict entrees, and perfectly congealed (custard-like) scrambled eggs prepared with real butter. My daughter and wife are very particular about eggs (~Julia Child)... and often are served browned/dried eggs even after requesting "softly cooked" eggs. I enjoyed Cafe M's buckwheat pancakes in a combo with scrambled eggs and ham. Good portions. The pancakes tasted homemade (not gluey, but moist and fluffy), though the syrup was not real maple (unlike Bette's). My wife loved her Eggs Benedict, switching out the potatoes for grilled tomatoes (although the menu insists on 'no substitutions'). Like Bette's, the tomatoes tasted yummy! My daughter ordered the Salmon Benedict. Although the fish and spinach were perfectly cooked and the Hollandaise sauce was spot-on, Cafe M serves no english muffin with the dish, which my daughter would have preferred (she didn't ask for one though, either). Still, the potatoes were outstanding, and by her local knowledge, considered one of the best features on Cafe M. Perhaps because we beat the crowd (the restaurant filled as we dined), the service we experienced was excellent, with the waitress proving more flexible than the menu suggested and willing to keep our coffee cups full. I will return to Cafe M next time we visit our daughter in Berkeley!

Reviewed 25 February 2013

So I like parking lots. They have one and good street parking as well. But we went for a wonderful breakfast. Classic favorites with a new twist. A stacked huevos rancheros almost too big to finish. Fresh oj mimosas and the best browned and crusty grilled breakfast potatoes. Fluffy veggie omelet with the vegetables all cooked perfectly. Great coffee and good service. I admittedly can't name what I ordered, but it had eggs, artichokes, cheesy goodness and guacamole........I have made myself hungry just writing this review.

Reviewed 5 September 2012

We were shopping the 4th street section of Berkeley and just wanted an inexpensive but good lunch. I found that here. I was a little late and the special was sold out but I had the angry pig. It was full of flavor and not too spicy. My wife had a cobb salad and another person had fruit salad. All was done right and even though we were present during change of shift we had great service from both waitresses that served us. If you want a good lunch that won't break the bank try Cafe M.