“Nice stay but hotel is a bit dated”
Review of Bancroft Hotel

Bancroft Hotel
Ranked #12 of 20 Hotels in Berkeley
Wellesley, Massachusetts
“Nice stay but hotel is a bit dated”
Reviewed 22 August 2007

I recently stayed at this hotel with my boyfriend. We were there for just one night after a wedding down the street. It's in a great location. The hotel itself is a bit dated. I liked that they had their own parking lot so we didn't have to worry about that. The room was a bit on the tiny side. as was the bathroom. Unfortunately the dumpster/recycling trucks woke us up at 7am followed by some crazy person using a chainsaw (hahaha it was like sitcom, really) but all in all we had a nice stay. It was fine for one night and a decent price for what you get. Of course none of the modern amenities like you'd get at another hotel, but I was fine with that. I'd stay there again.

• Liked — great location
  • Disliked — a bit outdated
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled on business
1 Thank DLee1209

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Nevada City
Reviewed 30 December 2006

The Bancroft could be a delightful boutique hotel, but instead it is a rather tired property with small rooms, huge but bare common areas and a bleak breakfast room tacked on the side. We hope someone acquires and renovates it, because the location is superb - right next to the campus and the museum.

• Liked — Price
  • Disliked — Small room
  • Tips/Secrets — Try the Durant Hotel
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank RobbNevadaCity

Travellers are raving about these Berkeley hotels

Austin, TX
Reviewed 30 October 2006

I was nervous after reading all of the negative reviews posted here, but our stay was fine. Granted, it is an older hotel so it doesn't have all the amenities of a modern place, but the handy location more than makes up for that. We had room 210 in the back of the hotel by the dumpsters, and the noise was not a problem. Although there are 2 frat houses right behind the hotel, they were surprisingly quiet as well even though we were there over the weekend. I would guess that there are times when the noise is high, so perhaps we just lucked out. I liked the small balcony, and the room was spacious compared to the rooms I've stayed in Europe. Parking was no problem either - just be sure to ask for parking with your reservation. I would stay here again.

• Liked — Great location for visiting Cal Berkeley
  • Disliked — No AC
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank bettym
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 25 August 2006

With a coffee shop next door, be prepared for noisy nights unless you are a sound sleeper. Although centrally located with helpful staff, this hotel needs a facelift.

• Stayed August 2006, travelled as a couple
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 22 October 2005

I made a reservation for my father a month before his seven day stay in Berkeley. Three days before he arrived, when I called to confirm the reservation, I was told that there had been a mistake, and that the reservation did not go through properly (they had entered the wrong date). Consequently, there was no room available for three of the seven days he planned to stay. No one could give me an explanation for why this occurred. I was told by the manager (Barry) to make a reservation at the neighboring Durant hotel. The Durant hotel was about $50 more a night than the Bancroft, and the manager told me he would seek a reduced rate at the Durant for the trouble they had caused. I never got a call back from him though. When I finally reached him several days later, Barry yelled at me (no exaggeration) for taking so long to get back to him and told me there is nothing he would do for me. And let me just say here, I was being extremely polite to him, I am not a pushy person. His outburst came out of nowhere. This must have been the first time in my experience as a consumer that I have been yelled at by a manager after enduring poor customer service. As a UC Berkeley employee I frequently book rooms for visiting speakers. I plan redirect speakers to other hotels from now on. Of course, when I told this to the manager it didn't faze him at all. He sounded completely uninvested in the success of the hotel. My suggestion: stay somewhere else.

• Stayed October 2005
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Encinitas, California
Reviewed 6 March 2005

As I had a conference at UC-Berkeley on the weekend of February 25-26 and my wife and I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights--reservations made by the local host. We don’t mind funky, and yes, the place has some architectural charm [although the rooms,drapes, carpets are musty and really need refurbishing] but that did not compensate for the unnecessary inconveniences and lousy service.

First, when we arrived I discovered the hotel does not have high-speed internet access. These days that is a real failing in any hotel, but in a hotel next to a great university like Berkeley, with professors and other professionals staying there, it is absurd. Second, when I asked the person at the desk where the closest internet café was, she directed me to the Starbucks on Fulton Street. After a long walk there I discovered that they only have such internet access for T Mobile customers, which I am not. During the next two days I passed at least three or four internet cafes within a few hundred yards of the hotel on Bancroft. So much for the staff providing useful information to the guests about the area.

Third, we soon found that there was no remote for the television in the room. When I noted this to the person at the desk I was told she didn’t think the rooms had any. When I mentioned it again to a different staff person later, he told me they did, and he’d try to get me one. One never appeared in our room during the rest of our stay.

Fourth, every morning at breakfast--which isn't bad if it was actually there-- something major was missing from the food setup. The first morning the granola was gone. When I complained I was told the hotel was completely out and there would be none for the rest of the breakfast. The second day the bananas were gone and I had to once again complain before they were brought in. Similarly, on the third day the yoghurt was missing. Another complaint. The hotel has THREE staff people working in that pantry—why is it difficult for them to keep a simple breakfast buffet stocked by paying attention to what is being depleted and providing more?!

Finally, when I checked out I told the clerk at the desk that the university would be picking up 2 of my three nights. He wasn’t paying attention and billed my credit card for all 3 nights. When I patiently pointed out the error, he tried to credit the amount back to my card but didn’t know how to do it. He said he had to consult with the manager to find out how; but then, adding insult to injury for some reason he asked me to sign the card payment slip for the mistaken amount—of course I refused. A little while later he found me and gave me the card credit for the mistaken amount and then told me they would first get payment from the university for the 2 nights before charging my card for the third. Why he couldn’t do this to begin with, is beyond me. Another sign of staff not being well-trained.

In short, this hotel is nothing short of a disaster. It may have 19th or early 20th century charm, but the facilities are stuck in that period too but unfortunately, the staff provides terrible 21st century service. Since the staff are obviously part-timers who are probably students, or low-paid kitchen help, I can’t blame them for all the hotel’s service failings. I can only conclude that this hotel is one of the worst-managed I ever encountered in 40 years of traveling. And that is saying a lot! Stay here only if you value a bit of architectural charm above all else, including environment and service.

• Stayed February 2005, travelled on business
7 Thank SANTraveler8
San Jose, CA
Reviewed 27 September 2004

We were seeing a concert at the Greek Theatre and could walk from the hotel which was great! Staff was friendly but the hotel needs a major facelift. There is no air or screens on the windows. Our bathroom door kept getting stuck and the rooms were tiny. Overall it was fine, but a little too much $$ for what you get. We went to the Hotel Durant Bar one night which is only one block away and that hotel looked much more together. Next time I think we will stay there instead.

• Stayed September 2004