“Not a Home Away from Home” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Spruce Canyon

Spruce Canyon
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Berkeley
Spruce Canyon
Ranked #7 of 8 Berkeley B&B and Inns
Coarsegold, California, United States
“Not a Home Away from Home”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2013

Recently I stayed in what was for me a Berkeley apt that would allow me to cook a breakfast and be on my way to meet with friends in the area. So interesting to read such positive reviews of this place which makes me wonder at my overall mind set. I have traveled world wide as well as many times in the Berkeley area. I found the apartment as many have described as "spacious" but in my mind.. jammed with uncomfortable furniture and millions of pillows to the point of claustrophobia. Even the kitchen sink area pictured in the ads was crammed full of unnecessary objects. The only place I could find refuge from this was in the bathroom shower stall. Even the bathroom sink had no place for my own personal items. I paid far too much for too much clutter touted as 'art objects' and antiques. Very disappointed.
I so could hardly wait to leave and sorry to sound so disagreeable to the point of not wanting to send this through.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Lasthoorah
Ana927, Owner at Spruce Canyon, responded to this review, 29 October 2013
I was surprised by this response as the guest gave me the impression that she was enjoying her stay here. I went out of my way to help her and even made time to drive her to her relative's home several times, at no charge.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Portland, Oregon, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2012

I am not a person who likes to stay in B&B's - too much lace, scented potpourri, pseudo-Victorian furnishings and such. Not my thing. It was a delight to find Spruce Canyon in North Berkeley! The lower level of a stunning Berkeley Craftsman in a fabulous close-in neighborhood within walking distance of the Rose Garden, UC Berkeley campus, and the gourmet ghetto, the apartment is eclectic, quiet, open, very functional, and no lace anywhere.....Ana is a fabulous host, informative without being intrusive, and has a wonderful selection of books and music - I could have stayed a month and not have made a serious dent in either! And to have a fully stocked apartment with cooking facilities was very important to me - and hard to find. But the highlight has to be the bathroom - wow! A shower to die for, and soaking tub too! Quite luxurious. Lovely backyard, too. I will be sure to come again next time I'm in Berkeley.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Julie E
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2012

The previous two reviews just about say it all. As I was sitting by the fireplace,covered with a soft lap robe, listening to Bach on the CD player, sipping my chilled white wine and reading one of Ana's wonderful books, I realized you can go home again. I hadn't stayed in Berkeley since student days many years ago. The apartment is spacious, the kitchen fully equiped and the fun of exploration and discovery in all the nooks and cranies just a joy. Everything one needs to live comfortably is here. The garden is yet another place of treasures and surprises. Our four days here, during our granddaughter's graduation, assured us of another visit. Thank you Ana.

Room Tip: Complete privacy comes with the apartment.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank faraway33
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2011

Spruce Canyon is an amazing place. My husband and I spent six days there on a trip I took to check locations for a novel about Berkeley. I chose Spruce Canyon for its location, within walking distance of the university and all points around Cal. Spruce Canyon is a large open space, with a wonderful queen sized bed, several sofas, chairs, a table, beautiful oriental rugs, and a kitchen to die for with all the equipment you would need to set up serious gourmet housekeeping. The bathroom is amazing: offering the best shower I have ever taken and a wonderful Japanese soaking tub with surges of water when desired. Television, CD Player, Wi-Fi, and Radio all work well.

I have just described the usual amenities you would look for in a B and B. But there is so much more. When we arrived, we realized that Ana, knowing about my novel, had already provided us with books on Berkeley, on its history, on the fire of 1992, and on the California hills. Her book collection alone is worth visiting.

It's difficult to describe how beautifully her collections work. Ana, a kind and generous host, has provided her own extensive collections of cooking ware, ceramics, gongs and musical instruments, and a Zen sandbox. Baby Buddhas nestle in the tree outside the back door. The back door brings me to the garden, filled with amazing plants and statuary. The garden is lush, peaceful, and evocative. I spent much time there looking at plants and garden decorations, while waiting for the deer to arrive. I always found something new and wonderful to look at.

Everything Ana has collected is organized with great wit and charm. I am not a person who collects in this way; my own house is pretty spare, even minimal, in its furnishings. But Ana's space filled me with delight. It is clean and airy and full of charm. It makes a visitor feels welcome, as if she were an intimate friend privileged to be part of such an interesting and beautiful site.

Ana provides granola from Chez Panisse, coffee from Peet's, the best tasting plums I have ever eaten, and two-fer's for the Botanical Gardens, local theaters, and the Science Hall. She is friendly and helpful, without being the slightest bit intrusive. She strikes the perfect balance between privacy and helpfulness.

Spruce Canyon is a few blocks away from the Rose Garden, a ten-minute walk from Peets and the Gourmet Ghetto, and a twenty-minute walk form the campus. On street parking is always available, and Ana gently advises you the best places to park and not to park on the street. She is a most thoughtful guide to life in Berkeley. I recommend Spruce Canyon most highly. It is a very special place.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank chfb
Brooklyn, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2007

Simply put, I can't recommend Spruce Canyon more highly. My family lives in the Bay Area and I visit, on average, every four or five months. Over the years, I've stayed in many of the B&B-type accommodations in Berkeley, and have been favorably impressed with most of them. Then, in the summer of 2005, I found Spruce Canyon. Now, I never stay anywhere else. In fact, I'd guess that over the past couple of years I've spent a total of some fifty days or more in what I now affectionately refer to as my home-away-from-home.

Let me say that in some ways, it's surprising how much I adore this place. When it comes to my own surroundings, I'm something of a minimalist. Ana, the main proprietor of Spruce Canyon, on the other hand, is an avid collector - and the apartment is chock-full of her extraordinary finds. Still, the space manages to feel open and serene: what might have been a crowded jumble in other hands here has been expertly rendered a completely comfortable, aesthetically-pleasing, endlessly amusing interior landscape. I'm actually not sure how she does it, but the place is also spotless - and I'm Virgo, so I know about spotless. The bed is Goldilocks-perfect: not too hard, not too soft. The water pressure in the shower is fantastic. There's a deck off the kitchen, a dining table and a desk, comfortable chairs for reading, window seats for daydreaming, and the fragrance of eucalyptus in the air. You're walking distance to the Rose Garden and the UC campus and Chez Panisse. And perhaps of best of all, Ana and Richard are the ultimate hosts - absolutely respectful of your privacy, but there if you need them. There really is no better place in Berkeley to be.

• Stayed December 2007, travelled solo
      Check-in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank mmfnyc