“Room with a view!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Berkeley
The Brown Shingle Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #4 of 7 Berkeley B&B and Inns
Reviewed 25 March 2014

My husband and I enjoyed our stay at the Brown Shingle B&B. The view is truly spectacular. We loved watching the city lights as we fell asleep, and waking up to see the sunlight on the Golden Gate Bridge. There is a homey atmosphere and we felt welcomed by our host, Helen (who also kindly sent us our phone and computer chargers, which we forgot in the room). The breakfasts are simple, and we usually ate in our room. Overall, our visit felt like a stay in an old house in the Berkeley Hills with a distant relative that I always wish I had.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank sophieshoreham

Reviewed 5 October 2013

Helen was gracious, thorough, and accommodating to the point of guiding a choice of mystery novels from her huge collection. The B&B is clean, charming, and quintessential mid-century Berkeley Hills. We stayed in the large room with a view from the Oakland hills to Richmond -- the Bay and San Francisco were fascinating at any time of day, and the hit was watching the early morning sun progress over the city. A gem.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank ken g
Reviewed 20 September 2013

Every once in a while, if you're lucky enough, you stumble across an unexpected little treasure. That perfectly describes The Brown Shingle and it's amazing owner, Helen. My son and I had come to Berkeley for the Cal-Ohio State football game with reservations at another B and B, only to discover that the owner had double booked our rooms, leaving us without any place to stay at 9:30 Friday night. I got on my phone, searched Google, and the Brown Shingle's name popped up, so I took a chance and called. Fortunately for us, Helen had just had two cancellations, and she welcomed us with open arms. Her home, where she's lived for fifty years, was warm and inviting. Our rooms were large and lovely, with breathtaking views of the bay, and each morning she had coffee ready and a delicious breakfast prepared. Everything was perfect, and Helen was a delight. We miss her already, and definitely will stay there again!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Tmurpht
Reviewed 6 July 2013

I suppose on the map it looks a little remote, but was actually very close to the UCB campus. It was a little tricky the first time I drove, because I had never driven in Berkeley, or on hills. But after the first time I was fine! The host could not have been more gracious and was an excellent cook, too. The views were indescribable and these photos do not do it justice. I almost did not want to leave the room to see the sights!

Room Tip: There are "3 rooms with private and shared baths." My room had a private bath.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Julie C
Reviewed 30 June 2013

Stayed 3 nights at the Brown Shingle B&B. Like staying at your favorite relative's house. Helen is a great host, providing lots of advice for local to-dos. Don't miss the Botanical Gardens. Comfortable bed. Super views. Convenient location in Berkeley.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dmencarini
Reviewed 22 June 2013

We rented two rooms, for ourselves and our son, and both were clean, comfortable, spacious, and had a great view. The location is excellent: far enough up in the hills to have the view, yet close to the Cal campus and downtown Berkeley. We were very satisfied and would visit again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank JIF5
Reviewed 19 October 2012

I stayed at Helen's house for two weeks, the place got good location, excellent rooms with the view of the bay, and the cherry on top of the cream was Helen the owner. She was very welcoming and help us when we need, even give us rides down to the BART station.

• Stayed: September 2012