“Post movie yummies”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Gather

Gather
Reserve with OpenTable
Gather is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #13 of 697 Restaurants in Berkeley
Price range: US$12 - US$25
Cuisines: American, Pizza
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Business meetings, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Allston Way
Transit: Downtown Berkeley BART (1 block away!) AC Transit to Downtown Berkeley Ample bicycle parking
Description: Gather is a restaurant, café and organic bar with an outdoor patio in Downtown Berkeley.We serve seasonal farm food, sourced carefully and prepared thoughtfully, with a fairly priced menu for vegetarians and omnivores.Located in the David Brower Center, the greenest building in the East Bay, Gather is designed to inspire community and educate people about food.
Berkeley, California
“Post movie yummies”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

In central Berkeley, close to 15 movie screens, you cannot find a more delicious and PC dinning spot. Gather's menu is varied with something delicious for all. Although a bit pricey, every thing I've eaten over the years has been a sensual delight.

• Visited November 2013

San Francisco Bay Area, California
“Excellent local food & great vegan options - try the pizza!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2013

I've been back to Gather a couple times since my last review - and was secretly hoping that they would have the fried maitake mushroom available last night when I popped in after a show at the Berkeley Rep.

Arriving just before 10, I was cheerfully greeted and directed to the bar in the back where the bartender was very friendly and helpful. He let me taste some of the ingredients I had never seen in drinks before - a rhubarb liqueur and Rhuby Cubed - that rhubarb liqueur, rum, ruby red grapefruit, hopped grapefruit bitters. It was light and refreshing, citrusy and exactly the kind of thing I would want to drink on a hot day. I ended up selecting the "Bronze Resistance" which was absolutely delicious for me as a fennel fan - my friend got Corpse Reviver #2 which was really really good - I might get that next time.

Back in the days when I was still a vegetarian who occasionally ate seafood when dining out - I first encountered "Fritto Misto" while traveling in Italy - you get a giant pile of crispy golden fried seafood - usually more than you can eat before you get your entree. I saw that there was a vegan fritto misto with oyster mushrooms - with some fond memories of both Italian fritto misto experiences and the fried oyster mushrooms at Millennium - I ordered.

While delicious, I have to say I was shocked that the price for 5 little pieces of fried mushrooom and squash was $12 - it should be more like $8. The cauliflower-horseradish aoli was creamy and rich but lacked bite. The fried bits were really crispy but the flavors didn't really come through - obviously, the onion ring was an onion - but the oyster mushrooms seemed to have lost their flavor, else I got a plate of fried squash bits only (which were like hush puppies). I expected more mushroomy and sweet squash flavors - both seemed a bit lost to the batter.

Though I was tempted to order the vegan charcuterie, it looked like they changed the formula and I wasn't as excited about it as I had been about the smoked melon and the vegan sausage on the charcuterie the last several times I had been at Gather.

Instead, I ordered the spicy tomato pizza. Talk about Pizza-Gasm! I recently experienced really awesome vegan pizza from Rotten City and then ordered one at home - which was satisfactory. This pizza cost $9 less, was about the same size and was far superior (my friend agreed - having tried the RC pizza, too).

The crust was thin without being soggy and I like how the edges balloon up a bit in the oven, though they blackened a bit - the crust was crispy without being oily. The sauce was absolutely delicious - very fresh tomato tasting, with the chile oil and chopped up capers/olives giving the whole pizza a bit of "arrabiata" taste to it - the only thing I might ask is for less cashew cream and more spice!

We also ordered the frites on the side - they were delicious with the outstanding house made catsup.

I am really happy that Gather's menu is changing and seasonal - and that they very clearly note vegan and gluten-free options. That saves so much work for the wait staff and helps out customers a lot. I hope to go back for the smoked artichoke entree before it goes off the menu!

Service was fantastic and dining in the bar area was actually quite nice and I think less noisy than the main dining room.

• Visited October 2013
Berkeley, California
“Best Vegan Pizza!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

As a vegetarian, it is great to have such a wonderful restaurant that sources local and organic food, has the most beautiful visual presentations of it, and introduces new tastes as well. The vegan pizza has a wonderful crust and the tastiest cashew-based "cheese" or paste, with a tasty sauce and yummy ribbons of chili oil drizzled back and forth across the pie. The wines have been tasty favorites, too often with seemingly short pours.

Visited September 2013
Edmonton, Canada
“Lackluster”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2013

My lunch companions were happier than I with this meal. I had the kale salad and it just seemed blah. The soup was nice, and we all tasted the tuna melt, which I also thought was ho hum, but others thought quite good. I never have to go back. There are 10 restaurants on every block near the Berkeley campus. You may as well try another

• Visited October 2013
Redlands, California
“Pleasant casual dining”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2013

Nice variety of vegetarian and healthy dishes. A bit noisy but service was very friendly and prices fair. Try the kale salad which is very popular. Good place for a group lunch.

• Visited September 2013