“Breakfast was always great”
Review of FIVE

FIVE
Reserve with OpenTable
FIVE is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #34 of 717 Restaurants in Berkeley
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Shattuck
Transit: Bart: Downtown Berkeley stop
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Since I was staying in Hotel Shattuck, this was where I usually ate my breakfast. I loved their Eggs Benedict with Smoked Salmon, Pancakes with berries. There was just one dinner that I felt was rather too expensive for the serving size and the taste, it was a fish dish that I don't remember that name of but it had clams on the side.

Reviewed 23 October 2013

I had a negative experience with hostess, my son and I were not acknowledged twice. The third time her boss was behind her and no we were only 2 people left waiting since she called other 2 people behind me at 2 different times instead of us again, they were behind me. They both had a reservation, i was starting to wonder if that was only way to get in since she kept ignoring us.
Every client there was much older and Caucasian, and very well dressed.
My son and i are brown skin, were dressed casual. I look like i can be my son's sister.
Not sure at all of why she ignored us, that was just rude. Only reason why i did not complaint to her manager was because my i had my son and did not want to make him feel weird since he is a teen. So, i did not say anything..
Food was extremely delicious! my son had the New York Stake it was so juicy and deliciously tasty he loved it.
I had the Burger it was sooo yummy!
I liked that the Manager kept coming around making sure all clients were enjoying them selves.

Over all great food and customer service from everyone else except Hostess.

Reviewed 2 October 2013

The restaurant (because of a somewhat limited menu, more akin to a bistro, at this time) now is a very good choice for those in the area, and is rising to the level of a destination restaurant.

Four of us ate here on Friday September 27th, the first time since the new chef started earlier in the month, or possibly in August. The food was very good. We had the fritto misto and heirloom tomato salads to start, two in the party had the pan seared halibut ("outstanding"), one had the New York Steak, and I had the "homemade" gnocchi with wild boar ragu, a wonderful dish. We had the Stemmler Pinot Noir, pricey but very good. While the restaurant has a limited menu, it has sufficient choices that will appeal to most people. No cheese course.

Service was very professional - we had the same server as several times in the past.

The restaurant can be noisy when full, although the tables are spaced well. As we had one member in our party who was hard of hearing, we requested a quieter table.

Reviewed 10 September 2013

Stopped into the restaurant and bar before a Cal Berkeley football game. Liked the setting and had a great pre-game meal. The only reason for the lower than 5 rating is that the menu was somewhat limited. What we had was excellent but would have liked more options.

Reviewed 3 September 2013

Great, friendly service, but the food was god-awful. I ordered the fried chicken, and although the side dishes were interesting and well prepared, the chicken was inediible. It was undercooked (raw in the middle) and soggy on the outside, and covered with crumbs that had turned into a gluey mess. I ate a few bites before my stomach turned. Never again.