“Pizza plus”

Paisan Restaurant
Ranked #56 of 752 Restaurants in Berkeley
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Description: New restaurant, part of local K2 group (TRex, Lalime, Sea Salt)
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Paisan is a great place to go when you think you want a pizza, but it might be nice to have a little something else or instead.

We split an order of meatballs and the pizza of the day. The meatballs were quite flavorful, and while they were not pillows of fluffiness they were enjoyable and we were happy to have them. The pizza was outstanding with an flavorful crisp crust topped with pancetta, corn and arugula. This pizza did not have a tomato sauce, and I would be interested to try one to see if the crisp crust can be maintained with sauce on it. Our drinks were a local brew and a negroni. We did not order dessert.

On a previous visit we split a large Caesar salad, and we each had a pasta. I remember that the salad was excellent, and the pastas nice. Having had the pizza this time, that is what I would go for again.

Service was attentive and knowledgeable. I appreciated that I was asked if I wanted the negroni up or on the rocks, and if I had a preferred gin. The space is quite casual. Both times I have been seated on the covered patio. My only complaint is that the chairs at those tables are quite low.

Reviewed 4 May 2018

Paisan was the perfect place for my friend's Big Milestone birthday dinner. Ten of us gathered in the lovely back indoor "patio" for delicious cocktails. I had the Fresh Cut Grass with vodka and mint and tasted a few others, all good. Currently on a diet so the only dinner option was their roast chicken which was, I swear, as good as any I have ever tasted - succulent and tasty sitting on a delicious bed of arugula. Others loved their lasagna, Caesar salad, mushroom pizza, pasta specials, and other pastas. Even with 10 of us, they managed to accommodate a few serious diet restrictions in our party. Overall, an excellent experience. Our first server was incredibly slow and confused with cocktails and starters; everything got better when her shift was over and a tall man (maybe Tim?) took over for ordering dinner and the rest of the meal. He was great. We skipped dessert here and had birthday cake at home so no comments on dessert, sorry.

Reviewed 13 October 2017 via mobile

Really enjoyed Paisan - it has a cool, relaxed vibe. Food seems Italian-inspired with a lot of personal twists and the same goes for the bar. But to me they pull it off. You'll not get the same old, same old, but what you get is genuinely good.

Reviewed 1 July 2017 via mobile

My little family group stopped in for a late pizza dinner and were all happy with the pizza and grilled vegetables. The roasted mushroom pizza was especially tasty.

Reviewed 10 April 2017

I often eat lunch here, either alone or with friends. They have lovely, substantial salads and generous sandwiches. (I'm not a great pizza eater, but many praise them for their pizzas too!) All vegetables and salad stuffs delivered straight from the farm every morning, with any remaining at the end of the day going to soup kitchens, etc. Eclectic dinner menu. Good for families with children, but with a large eating area that allows adults to dine quietly too. The remaining questions hard to fill in. I've eaten at all times of day! All good in their own ways.