“Comfortable Big Room”

Holiday Inn Express Berkeley
Ranked #6 of 20 Hotels in Berkeley
Reviewed 3 August 2011

Arrived for a two night stay and at check-in changed to a one night stay. The front desk did this quickly and without any comment. We got a 2 Queen Suite which just means you get a sink, micro, fridge, and sleeper sofa in addition to the 2 queens. This made the room larger and the bathroom was good sized too. The beds were comfortable and the room seemed newly renovated. My only minor complaints are there are no complimentary shower caps and when my son asked the front desk for a complimentary razor, per their advertisement, we were told they were out. No sorry, just we're out.

The breakfast had a cool automatic pancake maker which was fun, but the eating area is small. The parking was free, but the area of town seemed a bit questionable, but maybe that's just Berkeley.

The exercise room was adequate. If I were to stay in Berkeley again, I would seriously consider returning, however, I'd more likely stay in one of the neighboring cities as I didn't feel safe walking around the hotel.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank USTraveler0222

Reviewed 13 June 2011

We stayed here on 'points' earned through other stays. THe hotel has been remodeled and is very tastefully decorated. The rooms were lovely and had comfortable beds and updated baths. Internet was free as well as parking. They also give a free self serve breakfast which offered a lot of choices. It is located in a very ethnic part of town so it is convenient to Thai, Indian, and other restaurants. I would stay here again and find that you get good value for your money here.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank abudebbie
Reviewed 22 May 2011

Great location, excellent service, very satisfied with staff and amenities.

• Stayed: April 2011
Reviewed 22 May 2011

I reserve this hotel twice a year for our 23-25 member Board of Directors when they come to Berkeley for their three day meeting. Vicky Chong and staff are outstanding in the service they provide. Our Board leaves happy and satisfied each visit. I will continue lodging our Board there twice yearly.

• Stayed: April 2011
Reviewed 7 May 2011

Check-in was great. Room was very good and clean. Breakfast was good.

All in all a wonderful experience.

It is a great place to stay.

All personnel were helpful and had a great attitude.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 May 2011

My girlfriend and I were in town to see the Kevin Hart show in oakland, decided to stay up in Berkeley to avoid too much downtown oakland and booked this place through my IHG employee website. Finding the hotel was a bit of an adventure as its driveway is literally 10ft wide with buildings on both sides and it is situation on a one way street. once we finally negotiated our way into the parking lot we found the hotel a nice recently remoddeled building with very nice accomodations. The room we were in was great, spacious comfy king bed, 38inchish HD tv and a couch, table, kitchenette. The windows actually opened to let it some welcome ventilation and the bathroom was plenty spacious and stocked with toiletries. The following morning my girlfriend and I walked downstairs to find a wonderful breakfast bar with a really cool instant pancake machine. We enjoyed yogurt, pancakes, pastries, bacon and eggs. I suppose if I had any complaints there would be 2 and both would be considered very miniscule. 1) the elevator must be from 1960, it takes forever to go between floors, and calling it may take up to 10 minutes. My only other minor complaint would be the bathroom door closes automatically and the bathrooms lack a fan so after I took a shower my girlfriend found it to be a little bit of a wait before she could use the bathroom mirror for her make-up and hair. Other than those minor things the stay was exceptional and I look forward to staying there again when seeing a show in the Bay.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank mtfrazier89
Reviewed 5 May 2011

Great for short business trips. Convienent to Berkeley. Reasonalble pricing.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business