“Affordable and Comfortable”

Berkeley Rodeway Inn
Ranked #11 of 20 Hotels in Berkeley
Reviewed 22 June 2013

I booked this hotel for attending San Francisco (SF), because the hotel price in SF is a little expensive for me. This hotel has a good access to the BART station (North Berkeley). It's about ten minute walk (about 500m).
Staff is friendly and kind. The room is usual, but I did not feel inconvenient during my stay. You can see the photos of the room, and we can use a cable TV, Microwave, Refrigerator, Hair Dryer, Individual A/C.
There is a complimentary breakfast, but minimum necessary such as bread, coffee, juice, and a several kinds of fruit.
Around this hotel, there is a 7-eleven with CITI bank ATM within 100m distance. A Supermarket Trader Joe's is also close to this hotel, and its about 500m on the same street of University Ave.
When you go to UC Berkeley, you have to take a bus or to walk about 20-30 minutes. UC Berkeley is not close to this hotel.
When I go to SF again, this hotel is surely one of the affordable hotels.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank pooky503is
Kiran T, Manager at Berkeley Rodeway Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2013

Dear pooky503is,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Rodeway Inn during your trip San Francisco! We are pleased that you found your stay with us affordable and comfortable and hope to welcome you back the next time you visit the Bay Area.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 13 June 2013

This is the second time we stayed here while visiting our sons. Our room was clean and neat. We had a small refrigerator to bring home leftovers from dinner and a microwave. The price was good. The WiFi was slow at night, but earlier in the day it worked. We plan to stay there next time we visit our sons.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank basketmommie
Reviewed 3 June 2013

This is an adorable little motor inn. Our room was a simple king bed, HBO and free WiFi, complimentary breakfast, which we didn't partake. The WiFi went caput in the evening, probably because of the load that everyone was putting on it at night. Bathrooms are really nice.

Overall, simply a nice, clean stay. You can also tell the the owners really take pride in their motel and want you to enjoy your short stay with them. It's pretty cute.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Maltaplication
Reviewed 28 May 2013

We flew to Berkeley to see my daughter's dance show, and it also happened to be Cal Day. The hotel we usually stay in raised it rates, as many hotels do during special event weekends. This Rodeway Inn on University was the lowest price option and also had some reasonably good reviews. I was not disappointed with the motel. The courtyard setting, which you cannot see from the street, was attractive. The front desk attendant, who was possibly the owner, was very helpful and accommodating. I asked the housekeeping staff for extra items on two occasions while they were out in the court with their carts...both times they were very nice and gave me just what I wanted. I was surprised by the toiletries in the bath. I was prepared for nothing but a bar of soap and brought my own shampoo, lotion, etc. It turns out they had high end toiletries to meet every need, which made the stay nicer for me because I appreciate that sort of thing. As a final note, I will mention that this part of Berkeley does seem a little sketchy...this is the case for all the hotels nearby on University Avenue as well. If you don't want to spend a lot of money, and you are comfortable in an urban environment (and you are street smart), I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank pwillard
Reviewed 26 May 2013 via mobile

Frankly, I was a bit surprised seeing the place after the good reviews. The place was just okay, better than bad, but not good. The rooms were not dirty per se, but there was something about the whole place that was just sketchy. On a good note, the man that worked there was pleasant and the breakfast was a decent selection for the road.

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank darlene08
Kiran T, Manager at Berkeley Rodeway Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2013

Thank you for letting us know that the front desk clerk was pleasant and our complimentary breakfast "decent". All of your comments have been sent to upper management. Thank you.

Reviewed 17 May 2013

We didn't need a lot of room or luxury, so saved about $70 over our usual hotel down the street, and originally paid for two nights through hotels.com.

Yes, the room was VERY small, and the furniture was scuffed. However, the carpet seemed new, and the tiny bathroom had granite counters and seemed completely remodeled. The TV was fine, as was the internet connection. Toiletries were excellent, although there was no iron or coffeepot, but there was a refrigerator, always handy to have. The bed was comfortable and everything was spotless.

Breakfast was minimal, but had all the basic essentials, fruit, a pastry or toast, beverage, with toaster waffles and french toast as well. Yogurt or hard boiled eggs to add some protein would have been a great addition, but we could have provided that in the fridge in our room.

Very late, I found out that my business appointment the next afternoon had been suddenly canceled. Unfortunately, I couldn't reach someone we had planned to meet for dinner afterward that night. Very early the next morning, I got a text saying that we could substitute lunch, so we could, if the hotel was cooperative, leave for home early. Hotels.com said that if the hotel was OK with it, they would issue a refund. I didn't think the hotel clerk would be able to do that, but he immediately was very nice, and agreed! Then, because my ATT cell phone would not work there, he also dialed the call on his phone to Hotel.com and took care of it on the spot. That way, we were able to stay at a hotel that night along the road to home and shave hours off our trip the next day -- welcome after a grueling 3 days of business.

If you need space and luxury, then no, but a great place to lay your head with personal problem solving available, a definite "yes."

Room Tip: There are rooms available marked with a disabled access symbol. You need to use the lift by the step...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank SharonToji

It is nice to hear you found your bed was "comfortable and everything was spotless", the "TV was fine, as was the internet connection". We are glad the desk clerk was able to help you with your problem. Thank you for staying at the Berkeley Rodeway Inn, and for taking the time to write a review.

Reviewed 7 May 2013

It doesn't look like much from the street, but you pull in and find a nicely kept one story court. Our room had a nicely painted and upgraded room and bath with tile floor bath and crown molding in the bedroom. Small bedroom for two beds. Wireless internet was fast and easy. New flat screen TV. Breakfast was toaster waffles or English muffins or packaged danish. But doffee was good and hot. We will stay again for the low price.

Room Tip: Room on west side of court had early sun in window but we get up early anyway.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank kingsburgguy

It is a pleasure to hear you found our exterior "nicely kept", the wireless internet "fast and easy", and enjoyed all of the new upgraded features of your room. Thank you for staying at the Berkeley Rodeway Inn, and we look forward to your next visit!