Berkeley Rodeway Inn
US$319
US$284
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
All reviewsyogurtfree parkingsmall fridge and microwavebart stationplace to sleeptwo nightswould stay here againsan franciscoclean roomsfree breakfastcomfortable bedstreet noiseuc campusbay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 28 May 2014

The staff is always very friendly and ready to help with anything! There is a really nice continental breakfast and free wifi in the office. It's quiet and clean.The price vs. the product was awesome. Thank you for such a clean, comfortable room at an affordable price. It's really appreciated.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
ManagerDM, Manager at Berkeley Rodeway Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2014

Dear Kayla A,

Thank you for your kind words and are happy you enjoyed your recent stay with us. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to welcoming you again soon!

Berkeley Roadway Inn

Reviewed 22 May 2014

My husband and I booked a room at this establishment through hotelguides.com on December 11, 2013 for the dates of May 15-20 of 2014. I booked early as soon as I found out the date of the Cal Berkeley Graduation as my son was graduating. One of the options during the booking process was a "military rate"of $94.95 per night which I selected as my husband is a Navy veteran. I thought the rate reasonable, knowing full well that this motel is "just the basics" but reviews I had read said that it was clean and close to everything. In between the booking date and arrival date, I called the Rodeway Inn on three separate occasions to ask some general information questions - i.e. how close to the University, proximity to the BART, check in/out times, etc. I spoke with Alex, Raj and Jay during those calls and my questions were answered politely. We were traveling from North Carolina and were not familiar with the area so their assistance was really appreciated. All was well and we were looking forward to our stay until the day we arrived and were told by Jay, the General Manager that our reservation along with 8 other reservations had been cancelled because the rate was "too low" , that they no longer offered that rate (even though we later saw the disclosure card on the room door that confirmed the rate), and that it was graduation weekend and every place was booked (I knew it was graduation weekend - my son was graduating, that's why I made the reservation in the first place) Jay, continued to explain to my husband and I that he did not have to honor the reservation and that he could charge "anything he wanted to". After a long "discussion", Jay agreed to honor the price for the night of the 15th and offered a "reduction" of the normal rate which he said at that point was $199.00 per night. Ultimately he charged us $149.00 per night for the 5 other nights and instead of paying $569.70, the amount we had originally been quoted and confirmed, our credit card was processed for $785.00. Additionally, Jay told us that the only room he could put us in was a Handicapped Accessible room. I questioned him about that because my husband and I were concerned that if a disabled person needed the room, it would not be available. Jay was unconcerned and said that was all he had (even though the "vacancy" sign was illuminated.) Having little to no other options for lodging and being exhausted after flying all day, my husband and I accepted the room. Prior to checking out, went to the office and asked to see Jay, the manager and was told he was not there. I knew this was a lie as I had seen him 5 minutes earlier and his truck was parked in the handicapped spot in the front of the office without the benefit of a handicapped placard or plate. I instead spoke with Alex and explained that we would be disputing the additional charges with the credit card company and I gave him the opportunity to do the right thing and charge us only what the original confirmed quote was and that would be the end of it. He said he would have to let Jay make the decision and that Jay would call us. As my husband was loading our luggage in to the car, he was approached by Jay who stated that we had "signed" and why should he have to accept the lower quoted/confirmed rate. My husband again explained that we would pay the agreed rate or dispute the charges. Today, the amount of $785.00 was posted to the credit card. We have disputed that charge, have initiated a complaint through HotelGuides.com and will be filing complaints with the Dept. of Consumer Affairs and the Better Business Bureau. The room itself was fine- very small and relatively clean but the choice of management to not honor quoted/comfirmed rates and to price gouge because he knew how limited available rooms were in the area is unacceptable. Beware and use caution if you choose to stay here.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank peggy a
ManagerDM, Manager at Berkeley Rodeway Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Dear peggy a,

We are very sorry for the confusion over the rates at the Rodeway Inn. We hope that we have since cleared up this misunderstanding with you to your satisfaction. If you have any further questions or need anymore assistance with this matter, please feel free to call us.

Rodeway Inn, Berkeley

Reviewed 22 May 2014

room was close to car; enough parking spots; room was cramped but livable; sheets can be dated and needs to be changed up; location was definitely a big plus - close to north berkeley BART, Thai restaurant next door, coffee and pizza place next door, can walk to a park or UCB if you'd like...

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
ManagerDM, Manager at Berkeley Rodeway Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2014

Dear Patricia A,

Thank you for taking your time to review the Roadway Inn Berkeley. We are happy you enjoyed our location and convenience. We appreciate your business and hope to welcome you again soon.

The Roadway Inn

Reviewed 16 May 2014

The positives: the center courtyard of the motel was clean, neat, and tastefully landscaped. I felt safe in this location. Parking is just outside the room. The location is very near to the interstate.

The room is very, very basic and fairly small. While tasteful, you will never mistake this motel for any place luxurious. The bedroom and bathroom appeared clean. The paint had obviously been touched up - the color of the repairs did not quite match the original paint.

The staff was friendly.

The price was high, but then every hotel in Berkeley is overpriced.

Not a bad choice having to compromise comfort and price.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank texas_forrest

Dear Texas_forrest,

Thank you for taking your time to review the Roadway Inn Berkeley. We are happy you enjoyed our courtyard and staff and are sorry you left a little disappointed in our value. We appreciate your business and hope to welcome you again soon.

The Roadway Inn

Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

Sweet little Inn, great value for your hard earned money. Loved the pictures of the Berkeley area in the lobby. We chose this little Inn by reading reviews. Passing on the good karma. We found it to be: Clean and quiet. Safe and secure. Friendly. Breakfast was light, just what we needed. Bed was okay, shower was great. We will stay here again, near our family.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NanaLaurie55
ManagerDM, Manager at Berkeley Rodeway Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

Dear lauriepilot,

Thank you for your review of the Berkeley Roadway Inn. We appreciate your kind words and your good Karma, and are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Berkeley Roadway Inn