“So much fun for the kids”

Habitot Children's Museum
Ranked #28 of 85 things to do in Berkeley
More attraction details
Owner description: Hands-on exhibits, a drop-in art studio and special weekend events for infants, toddlers, and preschoolers.
Orlando, Florida
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“So much fun for the kids”
Reviewed 11 June 2013

Liked: super hands-on. Multiple rooms that hit on different stimuli. Loved that if you become a member (we did not) there is a toy-borrowing system. they have a whole "library" of toys and you may borrow up to 3 at a time. really, really cool program. Disliked: very choppy, so that it was difficult to keep an eye on my 3 different-aged children. No fault of the museum's, just know that it can get hairy. Tip: bring change of clothes! The water exhibit and art exhibit can get messy!

Visited June 2013
2 Thank heatherdj22

11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“A nice place to take little kids”
Reviewed 29 June 2012

They have very limited open hours, so check before going. It is especially good with toddlers and up to about 8 years old. Lots of activities. People bring their own food and either eat in the tiny lunch room or out in the hall.

Visited June 2012
1 Thank Pemwhitney
Oakland, CA
“Great Place for Tots!”
Reviewed 12 April 2012

Went there with my 2-yr-old and 3-month-old a couple months ago. I love the products in the museum store--it's a one-stop shop for encouraging my toddler to learn through play. Every time I go to Habitot I walk away with something--that day with 5 items! Wish I knew they had such a nice raincoat and rain boots selection before I settled for Target's only display model, which was more expensive than what Habitot had there!

Previously, when I brought my toddler, he could not keep away from the water table. This last time, he went everywhere and it was just a joy to see him enjoy himself. Going to Habitot gave me so many more ideas about indoor play to start having at home. The price of admission, when compared to the bountiful ideas that I got when I attended, was minimal. I also appreciate they have a resource library and that was how I read the latest copy of the East Bay Moms newsletter.

Although they have a toy lending library (such a great idea for reducing waste!), which I wish I could make the most use of, I do not trust my toddler with them at the moment. It would have been useful to know about this library before we had invested in all these look-good toys that only held my toddler's interest for a couple days or weeks at most. Looking back, if we had invested in a year's family membership, we would have actually SAVED toy money!

Plus, they actually promote play, not all the academics that I keep seeing when visiting preschools. I felt for the first time that it was a permissive space and I could let my toddler wander from space to space within the museum.

Best of all, it is in downtown Berkeley, very walkable and commutable for a mom who does not drive. I am so grateful for such a precious resource in our local community! Yes, it's not Disneyland or Six Flags, but at least I can be sure my active toddler is enclosed in a safe space and cannot run too far from me to catch him (very important when you've got an infant strapped to your front as the sole daytime caretaker).

Visited February 2012
Oakley, California, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“not very clean and very expensive”
Reviewed 1 March 2012

I was very unhappy with our recent visit, I thought the place was very unsanitary, the play areas didn't seem like they had been cleaned in awhile and we were there shortly after it opened, so you would think it would be clean. The bathroom was disgusting too. On top of all of that, it was very expensive, I'm not sure why a parent has to pay full price? I will not be going back, ever.

Visited February 2012
5 Thank Jennifer C
Oakland, CA
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Little one loved it”
Reviewed 29 February 2012

My little gal loves it and they have parent's night out once a month. 5 stars for that alone.!