“Always Good Diner Breakfast”

Bette's Oceanview Diner
Ranked #4 of 709 Restaurants in Berkeley
Price range: US$1 - US$20
Cuisines: Diner, Delicatessen
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Santa Cruz, CA
“Always Good Diner Breakfast”
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I have been coming here for years. While there are many wonderful choices on the menu for breakfast, I always seem to order the soft scrambled eggs with crispy bacon. These eggs are SO good. Yes, you most often have to wait for a table, but it's on 4th Street which is full of wonderful shops to peruse while you wait. It's also just pleasant to hang out and visit with your friends on a lovely little tree-lined street. Their take-out food from next door is also good for a quick bite or take-away.

• Visited March 2014

London
“breakfasts and sandwiches”
Reviewed 22 May 2014 via mobile

About a mile from the ocean (not in view!) and tucked in among a couple of blocks of upmarket shopping that locals rave about, an unpretentious place with OK food, only breakfast and sandwiches but no burgers

Nothing special but always busy, which (to us) indicates the neighborhood choice is poor. Seating outside is limited and, at least midweek, primarily a holding area as the guy controlling things told someone that there is "no service" out there.

Visited May 2014
Torrance, California
“I Want to Try Again”
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Traveling from LA to Eureka we decided to stop in Berkeley for a breakfast break. Found Bette's doing my trip research and the breakfast (served all day) menu looked intriguing. Located off Interstate 580 in a nice walk around main-street type setting with shops, galleries and restaurants find parking where you can. We had to wait 10min to get a table and ended up sitting outside. We had studied the menu on-line but when we heard the specials, Cornmeal pancakes (light and fluffy) with sausage (homemade) and the Ham & Asparagus Frittata with guerra cheese, choice of potatoes or salad and a fresh scone, we had to try. Delicious! Our only regret was we did not have the chance to sit inside to experience the jukebox and the whole diner atmosphere. We need to come back!

• Visited May 2014
Los Angeles, California
“Kitschy Cute Diner”
Reviewed 1 May 2014

We visited Bette's randomly and loved it! Disclaimer: I am a big fan of diners and diner food. We walked in and saw another one of my favorite things; a jukebox! Hanging from the ceiling was a gigantic piece of pie. We were seated in a booth immediately and ordered pretty standard breakfast fare; eggs, potatoes, toast, etc... Everything was cooked perfectly and delicious.

Bette's is a reliable and unpretentious breakfast place that I would definitely return to. Please note; Bette's Oceanview Diner does not actually have a view of the ocean.

• Visited April 2014
Los Angeles, California, United States
“Gourmet Breakfast”
Reviewed 29 April 2014

I saw this restaurant on the Food Network channel show, "Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives". I drove from Burlingame by the San Francisco Airport to eat the famous "Souffle pancake". I had strawberries added to my pancake with crisp bacon. Everything on the menu is made fresh and so many delicious choices. I visited the diner Saturday Easter weekend, which was very busy and the wait was about an hour. Keep yourself busy until your table is ready, by shopping in the neighboring shops. I crossed the Bay Bridge for this breakfast.

• Visited April 2014