“Busy little breakfast spot”
Review of Rick & Ann's

Rick & Ann's
Ranked #11 of 717 Restaurants in Berkeley
Price range: US$5 - US$20
Cuisines: American, Diner
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Our menu offers simple, comforting foods with universal appeal. We are conscientious of the ingredients we us and the diversity of our patrons, so we can accommodate a variety of diet restrictions. We love using organic and local produce. We truly are a Berkeley business. Whether it’s our cornmeal pancakes or gingerbread waffles for breakfast, our grilled flank steak sandwich or our turkey burger for lunch, or our pan-seared red snapper or our chicken pot pie for dinner, we have something to please everyone! If you have a special event in your future, please check out Ann’s Catering menu on our website. We also feature local artists’ work in the restaurant that is available for purchase.Oakland Magazine named us the Best Breakfast in the Bay Area!
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Like the breakfast, arrived very fast, sat at the counter so there was no wait to be seated. The omelette was large so we shared it between the two of us, would go again!

Ann L, Owners at Rick & Ann's, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2014

Thanks for this great feedback! We're glad you're a fan of our classy comfort food and generous portion sizes. Next time you're back in Berkeley, we hope you'll stop by!

Reviewed 20 March 2014

Located on a side alley below the Claremont Resort, Rick's is off the beaten track. We walked in without reservations and were able to be seated in a small and homey restaurant space. The menu was not extensive but seems to rotate and features pre fixe and daily specials. My wife and son had the macaroni and cheese from the standard menu, along with a bean soup. Both were delicious. I went for a special: lamb with sides of kale and potato pancakes that was also very good. Rick's has some wines and beers but doesn't offer a full cocktail menu (although you could get a screwdriver according to the menu).

Ann L, Owners at Rick & Ann's, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Thanks for this wonderful feedback! We're so glad you're a fan of our "quaint" little spot. It's great to hear that we were delicious for the whole family. Next time you guys need a tasty bite, our door's always open!

Reviewed 18 January 2014

Was visiting my girlfriend in Oakland and she and her daughter brought me to Rick & Ann's. I am not a breakfast eater - I prefer lunch. But this was Sunday and they had brunch going on. They are popular for their breakfast items and and must have some Gluten Free items since my friend's daughter is GF and I know that is a huge concern for her.

I opted for the turkey burger as I do love a good burger but I am trying to stay away from red meat. This turkey burger was only the 2nd or 3rd I've ever had but it was the absolute BEST! Very juicy and flavorful which are the biggest issues for turkey burgers in general. They had on the menu that the burger is made with ground turkey and onions and parsley and I could have sworn I was eating a juicy ground beef burger. They have thin fries, which are also my fave. And while they are very busy, they were attentive and timely. We did not feel like we were watiing too long for our food or for refills.

I will continue to try turkey burgers here and there but Rick & Ann's has set a standard for me by which I will compare all the turkey burgers I have from now on.

Ann L, Owners at Rick & Ann's, responded to this reviewResponded 19 January 2014

Thank you for this glowing endorsement. Just reading your description of our turkey burger is making us hungry — we're honored to set the new standard for you! Next time you're back in the area visiting your girlfriend, we'd love to host you again.

Reviewed 10 January 2014

A pretty good place, but various people in our group (a bunch of us staying at the Claremont Hotel) had very different opinions. Some were quite pleased and thought the food very good, while some had a much lesser opinion.
The place is usually very busy from opening to lunchtime, and is noisy. Some food is very good, some (pancakes especially) not so much, kind of bland flavor.
I think that they should open an hour earlier and reduce the crowdedness and help out those of us who are early risers.
The service was good, not exemplary. The staff were quite friendly and accommodating.

Ann L, Owners at Rick & Ann's, responded to this reviewResponded 12 January 2014

Thanks for sharing your experience with us! While it's wonderful to hear you enjoyed our friendly staff and some of our tasty dishes, it's a shame you feel we can be a bit hit-or-miss sometimes. Which kind of pancakes do you feel lack flavor? What are some other dishes you feel like we could improve? Any more feedback you have for us is greatly appreciated!

We'll definitely take your suggestion about opening earlier into consideration and will discuss it with the rest of the team. We look forward to continuing this discussion and hope to see you back here soon!

Reviewed 13 December 2013

The husband and I come here regularly, and there are times when we visit Rick & Ann's twice on a weekend (no, we are not ashamed). Originally, we would visit for dinner only, but we now come for breakfast ask well. Just about everything is great, but our particular favourites are the meatloaf, chicken pot pie and anything to do with pasta (oh, and their french fries! Best ever!). We always have the brownie ice cream sandwich if they have it.

Ann L, Owners at Rick & Ann's, responded to this reviewResponded 15 December 2013

Thanks for supporting us on both Yelp and TA, Megan! Comments like these are what make us love our job. It's wonderful to hear you enjoy both our breakfast and dinner. Hope to see you and your husband back here soon. Our brownie ice cream is waiting for you!