“Nice Cozy Restaurant, Quality Food”
Review of Venus Restaurant

Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Bancroft
Transit: 3 Blocks South of Downtown Berkeley BART Station, more information at http://www.venusrestaurant.net
Description: Venus features the best of our local foodshed, from local farms, waters and ranches, served in warm and lovely style in the heart of Downtown Berkeley. A favorite dinner spot for theater goers, Venus devotes itself to local and organic purveyors, creating delicious Northern California style dishes. The wine list focuses on bio-dynamic, and sustainably farmed grapes, and a "New World" style of wine-making, where the fruit expresses itself. An open kitchen and banquette seating create a cozy vibe. Chef Amy Murray is a 15 year veteran of the organic, farm-to-table movement. Menus are created each month to highlight the best of the season and evoke good appetites. Venus also serves a unique brunch and lunch, and offers uncommonly good beer, wine and light cocktails. We are happy to do small parties and buy outs, and tasty lunch catering.
Los Angeles, California
“Nice Cozy Restaurant, Quality Food”
Reviewed 14 October 2013

I had breakfast at Venus Restaurant on a recent visit to Berkeley. It was like eating in someones home. Small quaint restaurant serving quality food with fresh ingredients. Large portions, you will not leave hungry. All breakfast items are made to order. Interesting assortment of menu items as well as specials. Tables are close together, but the atmosphere is nice. They do not take reservations. However, if you call ahead, your name will be added to a wait list. Service was friendly and efficient.

• Visited October 2013

Warren, New Jersey
“Great value and quality”
Reviewed 12 September 2013

We have discovered Venus several years ago and have stopped by every time we are in Berkeley. It is a modest front, but very creative and exciting dishes served from the menu and the daily specials board. Using fresh, local ingredients the chef creates tasty, delightful fare. The service is attentive, but not overbearing. We had great fish dishes, servings are modest, but OK. The sides were wonderful, including great cuscus. The berry crisp desert was awesome. Recommend Venus to all

• Visited August 2013
Edmonton, Canada
“I went back for the Cashew-Almond-Poppy See Brittle”
Reviewed 8 September 2013

Back in Berkeley for the first time in 3 years and we all voted to have breakfast here at least once. All foods come from local organic producers. Food and beverages are top notch and service is attentive and friendly and paced according to the crowd and this place can get busy. Plenty of Vegetarian options and the coffee is always good. Gotta get here for supper next time we are in the area.

Visited August 2013
Berkeley, California
“classy evening at Venus”
Reviewed 8 September 2013

My friend invited me to Venus for my birthday
It was a very pleasant experience, with elegant service despite few drawbacks.
We had a great table by the window, and the staff were very welcoming from point zero.
it is a small dining room, cozy with a dine-at-home feeling.
I started by ordering a glass of Rose, but it came in a warm glass as if it was out of the dishwasher. The waiter offered to bring me another glass, and I was happy with that. The rose was french with very nice fruity aroma.
We started with Salads, and I ordered the Grilled peach salad with Goat Cheese, and my friend had the Kale salad and we were very happy with the selection. the vegetables were very fresh and the dressing was perfect.
I ordered another glass of Rose, and the waitress surprised me that the glass they served me was the last on in their stock. That was a bummer.
I went with french dry white wine, which was fine.
for the main course, I had a halibut and my friend ordered a vegetarian dish and we were happy with the food.
I had a chocolate cake with a candle afterwards.
we stayed there for at least an hour past their closing time ( they close at 9:30 pm on Saturday - hey it s the bay area ultimately and people dine early and go to bed early )...
Overall, Venus is very nice restaurant with easy elegance and very good service, and friendly staff.
I will definitely go back.

• Visited September 2013
Washington
“Fun and filling”
Reviewed 19 August 2013 via mobile

No matter how rushed the wait staff might be, they always took time to make sure that you enjoyed your dining experience.Id love to be able to make their yummy biscuits and homemade jams.Thank you for taking the time to care for your customers!

• Visited August 2013