“Beautiful view and tasty seafood”
Review of Skates on The Bay

Skates on The Bay
Reserve with OpenTable
Skates on The Bay is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 702 Restaurants in Berkeley
Price range: US$15 - US$50
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: View
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: University Ave.
Transit: The AC Transit, #9
Description: Skates on the Bay is known for their fresh market ingredients, innovative menu, and spectacular views of the bay, Golden Gate Bridge, the Bay Bridge, and San Francisco. This beautiful and historic waterfront gathering place for fresh seafood and unmatched views of the San Francisco Bay, recently completed (April, 2012) a major interior design renovation, including the addition of a new raw bar, glass-walled private dining room and innovative menus. Originally opened in 1983 in the Berkeley Marina, the reimagined Skates on the Bay is a stunning restaurant to enjoy cocktails at sunset, late night Happy Hour, weekday lunch, weekend lunch or brunch with the family or dinner with a date any time of year.
“Beautiful view and tasty seafood”
Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

I visited Skates on the Bay with my father on a Thursday evening. We didn't have reservations, but they were happy to accommodate us with no wait. We sat next to a glass window looking over the ocean. The server was wonderful and so was the gnocchi lobster bake. The menu is a bit pricy, but the quality of food is worth it. I will recommend this restaurant to others!

Clayton, California
“Skates is always enjoyable, great food with awesome view.”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Had an informal meeting with four associates over lunch. As always, the food was top notch. I always like to try one of the specials as they are consistently excellent. I had the seared albacore with a salad. Fish was incredibly fresh and delicious. The way it was prepared, the spices accented the flavor of the fish rather than overwhelm it. One of my friends had fresh tilapia, another was a crab cake aficionado two had salads...all were prepared perfectly. Skates is a pretty high end place with commensurate prices but you consistently get the quality and taste you would expect.

Stafford, United Kingdom
“Wonderful”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Booked by my husband to celebrate my birthday we were seated at a table with a view. The server was knowledgeable and friendly & his recommendations were excellent. Fabulous flavours beautifully cooked & presented. An awesome venue!

Visited June 2014
Morristown, New Jersey
“Fabulous view of bay”
Reviewed 18 June 2014

At Skates you can always count on a peaceful meal and a great view of the bay, out through the Golden Gate if the fog hasn't rolled in yet. I've never been disappointed in the food. The artichoke dip appetizer is the best I've had anywhere. On this last visit, we enjoyed watching a seal swimming near the seawall and watching us, too. I live in New Jersey, but when I'm visiting the Bay Area I never miss a chance to stop at Skates.

Summerfield, Florida, United States
“Overpriced brunch”
Reviewed 6 June 2014

The food was good, but not worth the high price. There were 3 of us for brunch and I thought the prices were far too high. The view was excellent and the restaurant was very nice.

Visited June 2014