“pasta and wait staff quite good”
Review of Belli Osteria - CLOSED

Belli Osteria
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
San Francisco
“pasta and wait staff quite good”
Reviewed 10 October 2013

First time brought good results. Pasta tagliatelle w oyster mushrooms and chicken ravioli quite tasty although I didn't realize that the mushrooms are not as tender as other types. Wait staff quite good. There was a glitch in the kitchen because of a large group. Staff made it up by comping us the dessert.

• Visited October 2013

Berkeley, California, Usa
“Authentic Northern Italian Delicousness!!!”
Reviewed 24 September 2013

This little jewel is just down the street from where I live, and it is my absolute favorite place to eat.
THE Menu changes relatively frequently, and they have very unique dishes with a variety of different ingredients to choose from. Don't get me wrong, its a very small menu; the beauty of it is that they make every thing fresh, and every dish to order. I have never had a dish I didn't like!
You have to know where you are going, because it's not really visible from the street because it sits back and is long and narrow and dimly lit...for effect. The staff is friendly and helpful, best to make reservations on a weekend. They have a good little selection of wines to compliment any one of the meals on the menu from duck to buffalo ravioli... lunch is good too, but I have been when they have closed lunch early because they ran out of food. It's a small intimate place, but it's always busy so that should tell you everything. Its a great value! Don't be fooled by portions;
they might look small, but they are perfect - because the food is and the sauces are rich and filling and when leave Belli, you are completely satisfied and never stuffed. An amazing dining experience I highly recommend

• Visited August 2013
El Cerrito, California, United States
“A lovely addition to Berkeley Theater district dining”
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Last night, before a show at Berkeley Rep, my husband and I tried a new(ish) restaurant, Belli Osteria. Up until now, there hasn't been a lot of variety available in nicer, but not not overly pricey, restaurants. Belli Osteria fits that bill perfectly: nice ambience, pleasant and capable wait staff, creative and well-presented food, and reasonable prices. The watermelon salad was a perfect beginning, with avocado, mustard seeds, and a citrus vinaigrette dressing, and enough to share. We both had the same pasta entree: duck confit -- yummy! And for dessert, the molten chocolate cake. Portion sizes were perfect: just enough. We will definitely make this a standard before-theater destination.

• Visited August 2013
California
“Downtown Berkeley Delicious”
Reviewed 18 July 2013

Fresh food with good flavors and textures - a salad with nice citrus vinaigrette and crunchy toasted bread crumbs, generous portion of tapenade with crostini, excellent gnocchi, also generous, black ravioli with shrimp, really nice. Pleasant waitstaff.

• Visited July 2013
Paris
“Excellent Italian restaurant in downtown Berkeley”
Reviewed 29 June 2013

The first time I went to Belli it was quite new and I thought it was okay, but I returned a month or two later and it had improved a lot--to the point that I was really enthusiastic about it. It specializes in ravioli but the menu is actually quite general. I wanted to try it a third time so we did so last week. I have to say I thought it was excellent, and the prices are very reasonable. The pate and the bruschetta appetizers were both great and the salad was lovely. For mains, I had a seafood pasta with red sauce. Usually I am disappointed by this sort of dish, but this one was great. The seafood was extremely fresh and tasty, the pasta was perfect and the sauce (which usually disappoints) was excellent. My partner had the ribeye--an enormous thing, and delicious, served with asparagus and a few roasted earthy potatoes. I had the squid ravioli in the past and really enjoyed it. Belli has risen to become my go-to Italian restaurant in Berkeley. Olivetto's in Oakland is good but too expensive for what it is, and Cafe Venezia in Berkeley is, I think, mediocre--and I believe it may have recently closed. Try this restaurant. It is excellent.

• Visited June 2013