“Decent food and beer in a historic room (2/5 Green Stars)”
Review of Freehouse

Freehouse
Ranked #349 of 748 Restaurants in Berkeley
Cuisines: Brew Pub
Good for: Bar Scene
Good for: Bar Scene
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I’ve been to the Free House a few times and always find it to be fine. It seems like it needs a little tweaking to make it really work. For a bar next to campus, I think they should lower their beer prices a bit. They have an interesting selection but the mark up seems a bit steep. They used to make a really good black bean burger but replaced it with a veggie patty made mostly from red quinoa and beets ($12, incl fries). It was interesting, but missed the mark for me. Bring back the black bean burger! This used to be the meeting spot for the Free Speech Movement, so take a moment to check out the photos on the walls.

I’m also giving them 2/5 Green Stars for social and environmental impact, based on these reasons:
• Decent selection of local craft beer
• The menu is pretty meat-centered
• Almost no info on ingredient sourcing or sustainability.

Reviewed 23 October 2017 via mobile

We went there last Saturday before the Cal football game and as usual we had a great time. I wish I remembered the name of our waitress because she was great. She knew a ton about all of the beer they served and had a wonderful sense of humor too. The food is pretty basic but it always good. The California Mule is my favorite cocktail there.

Reviewed 17 September 2017

On our way to see Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers @ UC Berkeley, stopped by The Freehouse for a beer and some food. Sat in the bar, relatively uncrowded with 3 people @ the bar and a couple @ one of the many tables. Server came ,took our drink order & promptly brought us our beverages & took our food order. Tables started to fill up, 30 mins later no food , no waitress. People that arrived 15 mins after us were getting their food. Asked another server if he could find our waitress, asked a busboy too, no waitress. another 10 mins passed, she came back with a couple of drinks, apologized for taking her break and blamed the kitchen for not getting our order done. Kitchen was getting orders out, as everyone was eating. Drank our beers, went & talked to manager, who blamed himself & said drinks on him, as he rushed off to seat another table. I think it didn't register with him and there's something that needs fixing, he's just trying to cram as many people as possible in there regardless of service. Food looked great, never got any though. Bad server, inept manager, great building.

Reviewed 8 May 2017

Freehouse is so casual and friendly that it is a great place to meet friends, have a cold one with a fine collection of noshes. Although I have not been outside with the fireplaces in the front, I've seen large groups of people drinking and eating and laughing as they stay warm by the fire.

1  Thank Pfitzgerald1946
Reviewed 6 May 2017

The place is located in a great old building. I think it used to be a mansion. Decent selection of beer. Typical pub food. Unfortunately our waiter spent the majority of the night with his eyes glued to the basketball game on tv. We had to keep waving down other waiters. But then again the place was mostly students with mostly students working there, so I wasn't expecting 5 star service. :)