“Not bad for Berkeley”

Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 12 July 2013

I've lived in Louisiana, so my expectations for a "Louisiana'" place in the Bay Area were not very high, but I was pleasantly surprised. The gumbo was good, as was the unusual barbecue shrimp, the sausage and boudin (from an Oakland supplier!) were first-rate, and the bread pudding was as good as I've ever had. Brussels sprouts sauteed in brown butter, garlic, and sage made a great vegetable dish. There are some California touches, but the vegetarian "jambalaya" was very tasty for a contradiction in terms.
Prices are on the high side for Louisiana, but reasonable by Berkeley standards. I'll be going back.

1  Thank Porcophile

Reviewed 9 July 2013

This place is an absolute godsend..... Southern food in the middle of elitist berkley. The food is amazing; the prices outstanding; the wine extraordinary. My GF and I originally saw it previewed on a local show and decided to give it a whirl. The Hush Puppies ALONE are worth going for. I can't say enough great things about my experience....

Reviewed 8 July 2013

We had a group of 5, so we got a good selection and shared bites. Jambalaya was AWESOME. Fried chicken dinner was also very good, sweet potatoes delicious. We also shared hush puppies, which I probably could have skipped. And can't go there with getting the beignets. Yum!

Reviewed 8 July 2013

Service was on the slow side. Thunderingly loud music did nothing to create a relaxing atmosphere. Not impressed.

Reviewed 9 June 2013

The food was fine. More barbeque/smoky New Orleans than gumbo green, but fine. Waitress was prompt, personal and polite.