“Musty, smelly room”

Ranked #19 of 20 Hotels in Berkeley
Bethesda
“Musty, smelly room”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

Very disappointed with the room, for it is very musty and smelly. It smells like old smoke, perhaps urine too. It could be that the carpet holds much of the bad smell. Small, shabby, smelly room. Not comfortable.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank L K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

We stayed at the Quality Inn for two nights last week. We wanted to stay near campus, and the location was good. The price was not outrageous. But the quality was quite poor. This was most evident when it came to their "breakfast" room. The choices were not great, but of most concern was that both mornings I went there, the coffee containers were empty. Both mornings, I went to the office to see whether someone could make more coffee They did. Eventually. Grudgingly. But they clearly did not care whether the breakfast room was being replenished. This is not what you want in a hotel. I won't stay there again, and I would suggest that you consider other options.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank david_lauth

Travellers are raving about these Berkeley hotels

South Kent, Connecticut
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2014

What can I add to the reviews of this place. We stayed here to visit relatives in Berkeley. It is conveniently located--an easy walk to Cal, downtown, and BART. The rooms are nonsmoking, which is always a good thing. A not very interesting breakfast is included. It is well-priced. The shower worked well. The bed was comfortable.

The caveats, although there is parking, there are not as many spaces as rooms, so it can get tight. We ditched our rental car after we checked in so I don't know how difficult parking was after that. Although clean, the rooms have a slightly shabby appearance. Others have mentioned the burn holes in the comforters: we had this too. Do all the rooms come with holes in the bedding? The furniture looked worn, the lamp shades were a bit damaged, one lamp didn't seem to work.

The bottom line is that it was ok for the price and location.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank oxide
Gilroy, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

I was attending a conference at the Four Points in Emeryville but due to several other meetings and a very large conference in SF, there were very few rooms left in the vicinity. So after reviewing the options in Berkeley I picked this hotel.

I asked for a quiet room which I got - I couldn't hear anybody else coming or going and it was quiet at night even though it's right on University Avenue. Check-in was fast and pleasant. As far as I know, there is no elevator so I carried my suitcase up the stairs to the second floor.

The room was just big enough for a king bed, which was very comfortable. The temperature of the room was fine although at one point, I tried the heater. it blew the air right up the curtains though so I didn't leave it on.

The bathroom amenities were sufficient for my needs. The iron worked as did everything else I needed but they have one of those tiny hair dryers. If you have long hair or need to use a hair dryer a lot, I would bring your own.

There is a free breakfast but since I try to eat gluten-free foods, there weren't many options. I think there were egg patties but I wasn't brave enough to try them. There was a family in the breakfast room and they seemed to be enjoying everything just fine.

There was just enough parking the 2 nights I was there. My key card stopped working once but the man at the desk fixed it fast.

For the price, this is a great option.

Room Tip: I got 310 which was very quiet.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank lmiriamc
The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2013 via mobile

San Francisco area is extremely expensive, but this motel is a good budgetfriendly option.

The rooms are a bit small but the beds are nice and comfortable, the bathroom is ok and it is very clean overall.

It has its minor issues: tv is at the thin wall, so you can hear the tv from the other room. And also the running water from other rooms is audible.

But they have great rates, free parking and a good breakfast in the morning.

A good sleep-shower-leave motel for this area.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lucas5915
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2013 via mobile

We were comfortable for one night. The bedding had some cigarette burns on it, but overall the room was clean and comfortable. Breakfast was very standard but good. Parking was very limited but a hotel worker moved their car very quickly to make room for us.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nancy H
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2013

I stayed in this hotel because I was in town for a concert. I work at another Choice property in the North Bay. To be honest, I didn't know what to expect going in there. However, when I got to the room I knew I had made a good decision choosing this hotel. The rooms are updated and look great! There was even a single cup coffee maker in the room, and two bottles of complimentary water. If you're going to Berkeley I would highly recommend this place. Very clean, cute rooms and the prices are reasonable.

• Stayed September 2013