“A very relaxing, quiet and comfortable stay”

DoubleTree by Hilton Berkeley Marina
Ranked #3 of 20 Hotels in Berkeley
GreenLeadersSilver level
Santa Clarita, California
“A very relaxing, quiet and comfortable stay”
Reviewed 9 June 2011

I spent 4 nights at this hotel and was very comfortable and quiet. I've stayed here w/ my family in the past and will do so in the future. The gym is clean and has treadmills w/ their own TV's. The marina is lovely and has an excellent view of San Francisco. I had trouble accessing the internet from my room, but it was no problem in the lobby.

Room Tip: being a hilton honors gold member is bonus!
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank 4hughes

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (392)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
South Pasadena, California
Reviewed 7 June 2011

We've stayed here a few times now, and it's pretty consistent. Recent room remodeling has made the interiors more modern and stylish, but they are still pretty small. Thankfully, many of the rooms have balconies or patios. This last visit we stayed on the first floor facing the marina. My two kids enjoyed playing on the lawn beyond the patio, watching the boats in the marina and the ocean. If the weather is good, it's a great feature, and becomes the decision-making difference between this hotel and several other nearby options.

Parking is easy and free, the breakfast buffet is pretty good (nothing gourmet, but a lot of options in a nice room facing the marina), and service is typically pretty good. I had trouble with their wifi and a room engineer came by and installed a wireless router for free. The property (walkways, halls, common areas, etc.) look a little worn, but still clean. The weather can be pretty bad right there on the water, so that's probably the reason they can't keep things in pristine condition.

Room Tip: Marina rooms are great, but you give up privacy.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank TravelDrone
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 2 June 2011

I arrived tired, but was warmly greeted by the front desk staff. Throughout my stay the staff was exceptionally accomodating and friendly, but it all starts that first moment you enter the property. Jerry checked me in, friendly, smart and intuitive--the best I have encountered anywhere. It set the tone for a refreshing and restful stay.

This is an older property, but its location is the best. Trails along the bay allow long walks with beautiful vistas both of the Berkeley hills as well as the City and Angel Island. There is nothing like the ocean wind to renew the spirit, you simply cannot get this at the hotels build like citadels that inprison their guests. This is a prime location that provides guests with the best the bay area has to offer.

Great hotel, clean and well run and a location that few can offer.

Room Tip: Upper floors are better
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank CalCountryView
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 30 May 2011

I stayed at this hotel for a training I had in Berkeley, and I have never experienced worse guest service. All of the guest employees at the front desk were rude, acted as though we were inconveniencing them, and were not helpful at all to those who are unfamiliar with the area. I had never been to the area and when I even asked for the number to a cab company, they told me they didn't have one, and then when I said they must have some contact, they got annoyed and rudely wrote down a number for me to a one-man cab service that did not appear legit. They have a shuttle service that you can call to pick you up, but expect them to say it will be 5 min, then call you back and tell you it will be an hour. this happened to me 3 times. Stay somewhere else, or if you have to stay there, expect to pay a lot of cabs bills. I would like to say that the food service staff and housekeeping staff were very polite and accomodating.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank kbananas
DoubletreeBerkeley, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Berkeley Marina, responded to this review, 2 June 2011
Good Evening Kbananas~
Thank you for taking your time to post a review on TripAdvisor regarding your experience at our hotel.
As the General Manager, I sincerely apologize for the service and interaction you experienced with our Front Desk team. I am very embarrassed and please know that this isn't the type of service we expect to deliver.
I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to speak with you regarding your stay. Please call me at your convenience. I look forward to speaking with you.
Stephanie
510.665.7126
Citrus Heights, California
Reviewed 25 May 2011

I am not a fan of anything Hilton and I stayed here for three reasons. Two are listed in the title and the third was that Hilton was paying for it, not me. However, in this area you will not find anything better and the price is right. The views are fantastic if you are over looking the marina. The hotel is actually located in the Berkeley Marina over looking the San Francisco bay, the Oakland Bay Bridge and the Golden Gate. I was there on business and my husband accompanied me. Parking is free and convenient. A starbucks with Wifi is located in the lobby. The front desk is very busy and the staff are quite curt and are dangerously close to rude. The room was very clean, comfortable and had a minifridge. The location makes it conveneient to just about everything includin gthe city via BART.

Room Tip: Negotiate, ask about discounts
  • Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank SeaSpOts1
Reviewed 23 May 2011

For the money, this was a huge disappointment. Bed was decent but the decor and feel of hotel was dated. Our room was the top floor, and the roof made lots of noise at night--I assume contracting. Breakfast charge was $12/per and I think Hampton Inns are a better value.

• Stayed May 2011
1 Thank DNeac
Dear DNeac -
Thank you very much for taking your time to post a review regarding your stay at our hotel. Guest feedback is a gift for our improvement and am thankful to hear from you.
Please know that our hotel will under a major guestroom renovation this year and we are very excited to see the outcome.
It will be fantastic once complete for you to return and experience it for yourself!
I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to speak with you regarding your dining experience. When time permits, please give me a call - 510.665.7126.

Stephanie
Richardson, Texas
Reviewed 2 May 2011

They tell me there is a marina nearby, but all I got to see was the 1st floor hotel parking lot.  Room was updated and confortable but despite my top tier (Diamond) status with Hilton, they couldn't find us a better room; nor did they work too hard at it.

I'm switching to Marriott for more consistent quality.  Hilton is hit or miss.

• Stayed April 2011
1 Thank Joemontx
DoubletreeBerkeley, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Berkeley Marina, responded to this review, 11 May 2011
Dear JoejElliott -
Thank you for taking your time to post a comment regarding your experience at our hotel. I sincerely apologize that you did not receive a room with a Marina view. We always do our best to accomodate Gold & Diamond hHonors members; however there are times when we are sold out and cannot accomodate all requests.
I hope you will continue to be loyal to Hilton and not take this one incident as an overview of the our brands.
I would truly appreciate the opportunity to discuss your experience. Please give me a call.
SBauer, General Manager